How was Shenmue II released on Dreamcast in Europe Anyway?

(Chapters 3-6)

Re: How was Shenmue II released on Dreamcast in Europe Anywa

Postby Scrounder » Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:50 am

Peter Moore is worse than Hitler
Scrounder
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby GYO6161 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:39 pm

Scrounder wrote: Peter Moore is worse than Hitler

try satan..... :rotflmao:
GYO6161
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: God of War

Postby SMDzero » Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:00 pm

My friends and I used to say "We want to see LESS of Peter MOORE!" LOL We were good kids though.
SMDzero
Banned
Banned

Postby Telekill » Sun Dec 27, 2015 12:31 pm

Oh man. I remember learning that Shenmue 2 wasn't going to be on Dreamcast in America and I was pissed. Considering that the game released in both Japan and Europe, I felt it was a slap in the face to the fans to not include a Dreamcast release in America. Then when I heard that it was coming to America on Xbox only, that pissed me off even more.

To this day I hold that Dreamcast was pushed out of the industry because Microsoft joined in and I believe the industry can only support three main competitors at a time. Seriously, take a look at the history. It used to be Atari, Nintendo and Sega but when Playstation released, Atari went third party due to not being able to keep up. All those other 1990's systems like 3DO, Neo Geo, CDi... none could gain ground as the three main spots (Playstation, Sega, Nintendo) were chosen by the consumers. Is it coincidence that Xbox joined the foray the same year that Dreamcast died? I don't think so. There are many who blame the anticipation of the PS2 for the death of Dreamcast, but had Xbox not been created, I believe that the Dreamcast would have lived at least another two years and we would have potentially kick started Shenmue IV this year instead. Yes, Sega made poor choices... many poor choices (Sega CD, 32X, Nomad, Neptune) but it's those poor choices coupled with the release of Xbox that killed them, making them go third party.

Jumping back to Shenmue 2, when I saw that Shenmue 2 was Xbox exclusive in N. America I cursed Sega and felt no pity for them as they fell down their sewage hole. For all intensive purposes, Sega was dead to me. I had only bought two Sega games since which was the Sega Genesis Collection on PSP back when it released and Sonic CD on PS3. Shenmue 3 will be the first game with the Sega logo that I'll have obtained since.

Fast foward to a couple years after the death of Dreamcast and a buddy of mine had downloaded literally dozens of Dreamcast titles including the EU version of Shenmue 2 with English subtitles. I wanted to continue the story but refused to buy an Xbox for it so I gave Sega the middle finger and had my buddy burn me a copy of the game. Luckily it was self-booting so I didn't need to buy anything, though I did make it a nice case. I still have that copy to this day along with the first game as a legit copy.

Going on near 15 years after the death of Dreamcast and Sega is still in a pretty bad spot with their continued bad decisions. I'm hoping that Sony just buys the Shenmue IP from Sega in order to ensure that we get an ending before Sega dies off completely.

Fun fact... I hadn't been as pissed about a game going exclusive against a system I owned since Shenmue 2 until Microsoft bought out a year of timed exclusivity with Tomb Raider.
Telekill
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: Telekill
Currently playing: Detroit Become Human

Postby Spaghetti » Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:43 pm

I remember getting Shenmue II on Dreamcast for Christmas 14 years ago in 2001...

It was an amazing lead-up. I was only 9 and had zero idea about games media and release schedules besides the occasional Dreamcast magazine or flicking through copies of EDGE my dad bought from time to time. I think I saw Shenmue II as a preorder in a catalogue or maybe a coming soon product description in a videogame shop, and I knew I had to have it.

I was away over Christmas so had to wait an agonising five days to get home to play the game after reading the instruction booklet over and over and over (remember those?). It was so weird having the game in Japanese with no prior knowledge that it wouldn't be dubbed, but I got used to it. To this day I still prefer to play Shenmue in English, but Shenmue II in Japanese. No idea what I'll do if I have a choice of dubs in Shenmue III.

But anyway, long story short, I'm very grateful Shenmue II came out on Dreamcast in Europe.

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: Telekill
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby code l name » Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:21 am

I was living in New Zealand at the time which had pretty awful support for both Sega and Nintendo machines (PAL release dates months after they would come out in North America) unless it was a Sony title or large 1st party Nintendo release it was largely ignored.

I bought the Dreamcast as official production on the consoles stopped. I remember seeing a picture of harbour area in Shenmue 1 with Ryo gazing up at the large blue crane and having seen nothing like it before I knew that would be a game I would have to buy. A month or so later I bought a 2nd hand machine with both Shenmue 1 & 2 and the rest is history....
code l name
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Previous

Return to Shenmue II