Suzuki, "I want to make Shenmue 4"

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Suzuki, "I want to make Shenmue 4"

Postby Axm » Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:54 am

Sonoshee wrote:
Axm wrote:Shenmue 4 is more than possible. It's practically in the bag for us already aslong are we all arent dicks to Suzuki about whatever Shenmue 3 is lacking.

This is what I fear. If we aren't happy with something, it needs to be addressed in a professional and friendly manner. I've seen on many developer forums the sort of attitudes they have to put up with.

You are right. Gamers can be complete dicks. But this is us we are talking about, this is Yu Suzuki and Shenmue. We already adore the hell out of him and the series. For us to collectively throw shit at him is unimaginable. I think most Shenmue fans have way too much respect for him and the series to throw him out like a Peter Molyneux or David Cage.

No matter how horrible Shenmue 3 could be, id still 100% support Suzuki on trying again to make it better.
Wouldn't you?
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Sonoshee » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:07 am

Axm wrote:
Sonoshee wrote:
Axm wrote:Shenmue 4 is more than possible. It's practically in the bag for us already aslong are we all arent dicks to Suzuki about whatever Shenmue 3 is lacking.

This is what I fear. If we aren't happy with something, it needs to be addressed in a professional and friendly manner. I've seen on many developer forums the sort of attitudes they have to put up with.

You are right. Gamers can be complete dicks. But this is us we are talking about, this is Yu Suzuki and Shenmue. We already adore the hell out of him and the series. For us to collectively throw shit at him is unimaginable. I think most Shenmue fans have way too much respect for him and the series to throw him out like a Peter Molyneux or David Cage.

No matter how horrible Shenmue 3 could be, id still 100% support Suzuki on trying again to make it better.
Wouldn't you?

Of course I would!!! I think you misunderstood me.

I wasn't talking about the Dojo, but other Shenmue fans worldwide posting their thoughts in a negative way across different forums on the internet. Sadly, every franchise has its loudmouths and I imagine Shenmue is no different. It's just how it is. But as always we will ensure the good attitudes outweigh the bad.

Sonoshee has received a thanks from: Axm
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Thief » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:18 am

All these hypothetical situations in which Shenmue 3 is bad --- blah. As if it could be. Only bad thing about Shenmue 3 is that I can't play it right now.

Thief has received 3 thanks from: Axm, Himuro, PacemaŜinobo
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby PacemaŜinobo » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:20 am

Thief wrote: All these hypothetical situations in which Shenmue 3 is bad --- blah. As if it could be. Only bad thing about Shenmue 3 is that I can't play it right now.

Yeah, maybe I'm biased but I can't see that happening either.
PacemaŜinobo
Asia Travel Representative

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby killthesagabeforeitkillsu » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:24 am

I don't really care if Shenmue III is "bad". All I wanted was for Yu Suzuki to have a chance to make a bad game, something that is yet to happen.

Still, a barebones Shenmue III due to a barebones budget could leave a bad taste in our mouths since its the little details that make this game special.
killthesagabeforeitkillsu
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby elfshadowreaper » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:30 am

Whatever Yu does I hope he ends the game on a note that could be considered a conclusion, at least to the revenge storyline. We were given a goal in the opening minutes of Shenmue: Kill Lan Di. Whether Ryo kills him or not, the outcome of that goal is what I have to know more than anything else.

If Ryo then decides to tackle the rest of the Chi You Men that's fine. Just give me resolution with Lan Di.
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby joka » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:45 am

elfshadowreaper wrote:Whatever Yu does I hope he ends the game on a note that could be considered a conclusion, at least to the revenge storyline. We were given a goal in the opening minutes of Shenmue: Kill Lan Di. Whether Ryo kills him or not, the outcome of that goal is what I have to know more than anything else.

If Ryo then decides to tackle the rest of the Chi You Men that's fine. Just give me resolution with Lan Di.

That would be a good way of finishing S3 but not sure it's going to go like that- I'd assume S3 is more about Ryo and Shenhua understanding their destinies in the grand scheme of things- I don't think Lan Di will be the 'big bad'- I think it'll be Niao Sun and S4 will be the actual confrontation with Lan Di but we'll have to wait and see.. I'm just happy we can legitimately theorise about S3 again without sounding delusional :D
joka
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: C_U_NexTime
Currently playing: Phantom Pain

Postby disbeliever » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:52 am

That's it folks,

Shenmue 4 kickstarter campaign confirmed for 2031.
disbeliever

PSN: disbeliever616
XBL: disbeliever616
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Bloodborne

Postby alexh86 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:08 am

I don't think we should be too concerned about this, after all, we want to see the adventure fully realized and not rushed. If the game could have truly been made in linear fashion and just without most of the deep, open world elements for $2m, then there's no reason the next game couldn't be funded in the same way. At the very least, we should be able to play through the end of the story but obviously we want two more deep, open-world games!
alexh86
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: ahark86
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Ceej » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:32 am

killthesagabeforeitkillsu wrote: If there is anyone that could fund this project completely based on the kickstarter success, it isn't Sony... It's SEGA.

One of their dead IPs just did $3.5M in a week on name alone. What other active SEGA IP could draw this kind of numbers in the states? From what Ive read Alien Isolation did over $1M and SEGA was ecstatic about it.

The report you're referring to said Alien Isolation sold 1 million units to consumers...and last time the numbers were ran they had it at 2.1 million units sold.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/alien- ... 0-6427238/

Shenmue 3, with it's 44,683 backers at the time of this post, obviously isn't holding a candle to that.
Ceej

Postby killthesagabeforeitkillsu » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:50 am

Ceej wrote:
killthesagabeforeitkillsu wrote: If there is anyone that could fund this project completely based on the kickstarter success, it isn't Sony... It's SEGA.

One of their dead IPs just did $3.5M in a week on name alone. What other active SEGA IP could draw this kind of numbers in the states? From what Ive read Alien Isolation did over $1M and SEGA was ecstatic about it.

The report you're referring to said Alien Isolation sold 1 million units to consumers...and last time the numbers were ran they had it at 2.1 million units sold.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/alien- ... 0-6427238/

Shenmue 3, with it's 44,683 backers at the time of this post, obviously isn't holding a candle to that.

My bad then. I didn't knew the updated number and I meant 1M units sold but I brain farted.
Still, you put Alien Isolation on kickstarter, I doubt it would get $3.5M backing specially after the Aliens Colonial Marines fail.
killthesagabeforeitkillsu
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Himuro » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:08 am

I'd rather have a passionate, beautiful game than a rushed game whose existence was merely just to end the story. That said, I hope 4 is the last one.

Himuro has received a thanks from: Axm
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Himuro » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:14 am

sand4fish wrote: We should all accept as fact by now that we might never see the conclusion of Shenmue's story until probably the day see our own children grow as old as Ryo, or have even grandchildren by then. Yu Suzuki mentioned before that if he had to condense the story he probably would end the series at V, but given the pace at developing these games it would take more than a decade at least to finally see its conclusion. Well, it's all about the journey for me, as I've been accompanying this series since a teenager and when I finally learn of how Ryo's story was meant to end, it will definitely be a bittersweet moment in my life.

This isn't true. He said he could do it in 5, but if pressed, he could it in 4, but no more than that.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby JaySw34 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:31 am

I honestly wouldn't mind too much if 3 ended and 4 might or might not be a definite. At least we're getting another game. I've spent a good portion of my life waiting for Shenmue, so if 3 ended on an "oh shit" cliffhanger and we were left wondering and waiting for IV, it would feel "normal" to me... if that makes any sense. But I think Yu said that although 3 won't be the end, he won't end it on as big as a cliffhanger for that purpose.
JaySw34
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: JaySw34
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby James Brown » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:34 am

As much as I hate DLC, and wouldn't want it in Shenmue, i've been recently thinking as long as it's done in a good way, it could help Shenmue bring in loads more extra money which would allow Yu to not only consider 4, but also take his time again with the plot and achieve his original vision of 5 or whatever amount of games. Even basic DLC like, what seems to be slightly already planned, with the backer only alternative Jacket style, or whatever, imagine if there was an alternative costume for each of the main characters, or just extras that wouldn't normally be in the game, but could become optional bonus's through means of DLC. It's annoying to say because it goes against everything I feel about DLC, but again if done in the right way, could bring in a great amount of extra revenue, and Yu wouldn't have to run down this Kickstarter route again. Someone keeps mentioning that other project, the star one I forgot it's name, that supposively brought in 10's of millions more money just because of things like DLC and stuff? As long as it's not blatant, and game breaking, like some of the shit in Assassin's Creed unity where they make it really hard to progress without spending a bit of cash in the ingame shop, where day one you could be a 1 hit killing machine. Shenmue could have a lot of novel bits of extra content. Like look at the Ryo Hazuki vehicle in Sonic Racing Transformed, that was released like, a year after the game came out...I bought one...i'm sure many other people did. As long as it doesn't negatively hurt the gameplay of the game, it could be a potential way of extra funding for S4 - if only in the game for that reason alone, to help S4 (Maybe it says in the menu, every purchase helps towards S4, like an ingame S4 kickstarter :))

James Brown has received a thanks from: Miles Prower
James Brown
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

XBL: skilljimmeh

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III