Suzuki, "I want to make Shenmue 4"

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Suzuki, "I want to make Shenmue 4"

Postby elfshadowreaper » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:46 am

The good thing about Shenmue 3 and 4 is that Yu and whoever helps fund whatever portion of the game they're funding will be going into Shenmue 4 in the black financially speaking. If we do find a way to raise $10 million for Yu that will be the majority of what the game costs. So all the rest is profit, I would think. And profit that will(SHOULD!) go to make Shenmue 4. And then again hopefully Shenmue 5 if it comes to that. But man, by that time we're talking about 2022 or so...
Shenmue 3 - Dec, 2017
Shenmue 4 - June, 2020
Shenmue 5 - Dec, 2022

Wow!
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby James Brown » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:52 am

Hate reading the horrible troll comments below that article btw, people are either 12 and haven't got a clue, or simply something happened in their lives where they need to hate on every bit of news negatively.

James Brown has received a thanks from: Axm
James Brown
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

XBL: skilljimmeh
Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby NismoZZzz » Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:41 am

As much as I'd like a 4 or 5, I'd be happy with just a perfect 3. I'd rather not push our buttons and leave a horrible cliffhanger again then I'm waiting until one of us hits it big to finance a sequel again. This was it for us and I'm glad it's finally happening. If anything, end it with 3 then have a DLC Expansion showing his return to Japan with an ending of Fuku-San and Ryo about to hit each other sparring in the dojo like at the end of Rocky III.

Either way, Yu needs to just conclude this story and seal his legacy.
NismoZZzz
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby mue 26 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:33 pm

Thief wrote: I'm so incredibly happy that he hasn't decided to end the series with Shenmue 3. Even if Shenmue 3 does horribly (which I doubt) and we're left on another cliffhanger, that's still preferable to me than a rushed product just so I "know what happens". I don't play Shenmue merely because i'm curious about the story. I play Shenmue because its story is presented brilliantly and I want nothing to compromise that in further games.

This 100%. A big part of what makes the Shenmue games so great is that they go at their own pace and never rush, so I really really don't want Shenmue 3 to rush things to a conclusion just for sake of giving us one. I want as faithful a version I can get of Yu's original vision. Even if that means there's no guarantee we'll ever get a conclusion.

mue 26 has received a thanks from: James Brown
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Reprise » Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:38 pm

mue 26 wrote:
Thief wrote: I'm so incredibly happy that he hasn't decided to end the series with Shenmue 3. Even if Shenmue 3 does horribly (which I doubt) and we're left on another cliffhanger, that's still preferable to me than a rushed product just so I "know what happens". I don't play Shenmue merely because i'm curious about the story. I play Shenmue because its story is presented brilliantly and I want nothing to compromise that in further games.

This 100%. A big part of what makes the Shenmue games so great is that they go at their own pace and never rush, so I really really don't want Shenmue 3 to rush things to a conclusion just for sake of giving us one. I want as faithful a version I can get of Yu's original vision. Even if that means there's no guarantee we'll ever get a conclusion.

Yup, I'm with you guys.

And if I have to wait another 14 years for Shenmue 4, then so be it.
Reprise
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Monkei » Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:25 pm

Reprise wrote:
mue 26 wrote:

Yup, I'm with you guys.

And if I have to wait another 14 years for Shenmue 4, then so be it.

i'm also 100% with you guys! :D
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby redline » Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:50 pm

im only guessing but once they get shenmue3 sorted, cant they just use it as a template to make 4/5 a bit quicker like 1/2?

also, ive always thought the shenmue story was best suited as a downloadable game because of how long it is.
redline
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby mrandyk » Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:12 pm

If the fans are satisfied with Shenmue 3, Yu will make a Shenmue 4. Even if it is the basic, $2 million KS game, I would have to think Yu makes it happen.
mrandyk
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby squall » Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:27 pm

I don't mind much, or at all really. I want Yu to make the games as he wants, not rush the plot to fit.

That being said, I do hope he can manage to end 3 with some sort of closure. Sure, maybe not the whole story is ended, but hopefully not with a cliffhanger. Unless he knows for sure that 4 will be made.
squall
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Riku Rose » Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:34 pm

YSNet will make a lot of money out of Shenmue 3 as they don't have to recover any development costs since they've already been covered through Kickstarter. Sony have said they will back this game in a big way in terms of advertising and most people who buy games only see them in ads on TV or on the shelf and buy it on impulse. The success of the game really is down to the Sony marketing department.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Yokosuka » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:17 pm

The negative points I see :
- possibility of huge surprising flop (if no PS4 physic disc or no Steam, everything is possible)
- Sega still owns the licence and could ask for some % benefits parts that kill the plan according the sales
- Similar case : Slighty Mad Studio still ask for crowdfunding with Project Cars 2 (!).
Last edited by Yokosuka on Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Tomato Convenience Store » Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:40 am

My hope is that Shenmue III is successful enough that Shenmue IV is greenlight as a big budget game.
Tomato Convenience Store
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: PuzzleQuest II

Postby rome » Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:56 am

If Shenmue 3 blows people away (non Shenmuers) and S4 becomes a legit possibility, I'd like a conclusion before we end up in a similar spot such in the end of Shenmue 2.

if YS can finish his story, the way he imagined, I'd be beyond satisfied. I'd also be ecstatic with a Shenmue 5 \:D/
rome
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Shenmue II

Postby Hyo Razuki » Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:46 am

Yokosuka wrote: The negative points I see :
- possibility of huge surprising flop (if no PS4 physic disc or no Steam pass, everything is possible)
- Sega still owns the licence and could ask for some % benefits parts that kill the plan according the sales
- Similar case : Slighty Mad Studio still ask for crowdfunding with Project Cars 2 (!).

Could be a stupid question, but what's a steam pass? I've not been into gaming anymore for quite a few years, so I don't really know what's going on.

Hyo Razuki has received a thanks from: PacemaŜinobo
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Snoopbob2006 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:30 am

They pull a shenmue 1 and 2 and focus on 2 new shenmue games with 4 not being too long after 3. With the engine in place from 3 cost won't be nearly as demanding if they act fast using most of three's assets
Snoopbob2006
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Snoopbob2005
XBL: Snoopbob2005

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III