Neilo recruiting developers for Shenmue III

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Neilo recruiting developers for Shenmue III

Postby Switch » Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:20 am

Although this is from last week, an article on the Japanese site Doope.jp reports that Neilo Inc (the company responsible for Shenmue III development) is advertising for development staff on the project.

I've translated the article below, as well as some other information of interest straight off Neilo's website.

Article from Doope.jp:
Neilo Commences Recruitment of Development Staff to Work on Shenmue III
June 16

A short while ago, following the Kickstarter announcement by Yu Suzuki on-stage at the Sony E3 press conference and subsequent raising of over $1.17 million in just the initial few hours, the studio participating in the development of Shenmue III, Neilo Inc., commenced recruitment for new development staff.

The development staff roles are being sought for Shenmue III on PS4 and PC, and include programmers, planners, directors and 3D designers. If you are interested in the project that has at long last gotten started for real, how about checking out the entry criteria on their site.

Some stats on Neilo from their site:
Number of staff (including contractors, outsourcers, part-timers): 30
Average age: 32
Male-to-female ratio: 4 to 1

Message from the CEO of Neilo:
I’m Hirai, Shenmue’s chief programmer.
14 years have passed since the release of Shenmue 2.
14 years has been a long wait for all of the fans without seeing a release of the next part.
Development of the sequel... for 14 years, whatever I have been doing, this thought has never left my mind.
I have received messages of enthusiasm all the time from players and people within the industry.
However, in order to construct an environment and team that will realise everyone's expectations will not be an easy task when it comes to the title of Shenmue, as I am sure you will recognize.
I founded Neilo 5 years ago, and have whole-heartedly worked on building up an environment and team, aiming at a company able to develop and distribute products to the entire global market.
I have always held in my mind the possibility for turning everyone's dream into a reality.
And I thought it was quite fitting that the project was launched through Kickstarter.
After coordination with each of the parties concerned, one by one, we have at last reached the stage of being able to develop the sequel, Shenmue III.
Now it is just a matter of gathering even more teammates who will put their heart into development of this project.
Shenmue, a game that everyone has been waiting for.
Shenmue, a game that will give you a fun experience as you play.
Let's build it together.

Tak Hirai (CEO, Neilo Inc.)
June 16

These are the development roles they are recruiting for Shenmue III. They didn't say how many of each role they are looking for. They also give the key skills needed for each role (note: these required skills are not necessarily specific for Shenmue though).
* Programmer
Skills required: C/C++. Nice-to-have: Java, C#, Objective-C, PHP, HLSL, DirectX, Network, SQL

* Network programmer / system engineer
Skills required: database experience e.g. MySQL/PostgresSQL/Oracle, scripting languages (e.g. PHP/Python/Ruby/Javascript/Actionscript), network skills (TCP/IP, UDP, http etc)

* Planner / game designer

* Director
Nice-to-have: experience with Unity or scripting

* 3D Graphic Designer - characters, backgrounds
Skills required: one or more of modeling / textures / shading / effects using 3D design / digital creation software (Maya/3dsMAX/xsi/Lightwave/Blender). For senior position: experience at creating characters & backgrounds; experience at rigging

* 3D Motion Designer
3D design / digital creation software (Maya/3dsMAX/xsi/Lightwave/Blender)

* Effects Designer
3D design / digital creation software (Maya/3dsMAX/xsi/Lightwave/Blender)

The recruitment process is to send your resume and work samples etc through their site, then attend one or two interview sessions and then they will make their decision (in case anyone here is interested in applying :D )

Switch has received a thanks from: Giorgio
Switch
News Poster
News Poster

Re: Neilo recruiting developers for Shenmue III

Postby Yokosuka » Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:38 am

Don't understand why Unity knowledge is asked.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby BayStone » Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:46 am

Could be an issue of simplification... i think they're after scripting (and other this type of editor related) skills and that sort of fits the bill. I don't think too much thinking went into these. :)

As for the this whole topic, I'll say... :cry: 8-[ :)
Last edited by BayStone on Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
BayStone
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Switch » Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:48 am

Yeah, it's funny that they haven't mentioned Unreal Engine anywhere.

One thing to point out is that these skill criteria descriptions for each role are on a separate recruiting page that looks like it was made generally for all projects taken on by Neilo, not just for the Shenmue III project.
Switch
News Poster
News Poster

Postby BayStone » Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:50 am

Switch wrote: Yeah, it's funny that they haven't mentioned Unreal Engine anywhere.

One thing to point out is that these skill criteria descriptions for each role are on a separate recruiting page that looks like it was made generally for all projects taken on by Neilo, not just for the Shenmue III project.

Well, there you go then. They're probably using Unity for their other stuff, which sort of makes sense.
BayStone
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby ys » Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:01 am

I can make the text "Hello World" appear on screen. I think that I have a shot.

About Unity getting mentioned, I wouldn't read much into it. It seems as if they just see it as a merit if the director knows a bit of scripting or Unity. That makes it easier to communicate with the programmers doing the heavy coding work. Those people will work with C/C++ which works fine with the Unreal engine.

Switch wrote:Male-to-female ratio: 4 to 1

Sausage fest! (not too surprising)
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Sonoshee » Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:26 am

ys wrote:Sausage fest! (not too surprising)

As long as the Shenmue ladies don't turn into the DoA ladies we'll be fine :P
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Thief » Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:27 am

Sonoshee wrote:

Hey, we all saw Xiu Ying's panties. It's fair game.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Sonoshee » Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:34 am

Thief wrote:
Sonoshee wrote:

Hey, we all saw Xiu Ying's panties. It's fair game.

Sailor Panties DLC! :twisted:
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Return to Shenmue III