Feminism

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: Feminism

Postby Crimson Ryan » Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:59 pm

mue 26 wrote:
I wonder why...

Why are dissing me for being a V? what does that have to do with anything?

:dunno:

Why keep bringing it up unprovoked?
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby mue 26 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:35 pm

Is that aimed at him or me? Qwerty brought it up in the first post of this thread...
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Crimson Ryan » Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:49 pm

mue 26 wrote: Is that aimed at him or me? Qwerty brought it up in the first post of this thread...

Replying to you. This isn't the first time you've mentioned it provoked or not..
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Riku Rose » Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:02 pm

Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby mue 26 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:04 pm

Crimson Ryan wrote:
mue 26 wrote: Is that aimed at him or me? Qwerty brought it up in the first post of this thread...

Replying to you. This isn't the first time you've mentioned it provoked or not..

OK so when else did you see me mention it? I hadn't mentioned anything to do with that in probably years, until the other day when Riku decided to dig that old nugget up. Sometimes you are a bit weird, Ryan. You seem to read very selectively, totally unaware of context, and then make strange comments.
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Yukupo » Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:18 pm

@ Riku

That's basically the kind of stuff I'm talking about. The idea that the only reason men care about women is because they want to have sex with them. That joke basically is, 'male feminists can't get women the traditional way, so they're just faking caring about women's issues to get them into bed.' It reflects what I mean about objectification of women. It's acknowledging that you don't see them as human beings worthy of the same rights and treatment that men get.

I'm proud to be a feminist because I care about the rights and feelings of others. I don't think it's that radical of a concept. :-k

And again, feminism isn't about putting down men, it's about putting down this attitude towards women.

Yukupo has received 2 thanks from: mue 26, Sonikku
Yukupo
Digital Artist
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Calshot » Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:45 pm

mue 26 wrote: I did have a goosey, and they were all the same utter shite arguments I've seen repeated over and over. So since I did you the honour, could you please fill your boots with this, Calshot lad: http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... nequal-pay

Good job not addressing how they're shite.

My argument was that when you adjust for all the variables so that everything is the same, education, type of education, experience, etc, then the wage gap closes to a marginal amount.

Your article didn't address the argument at hand at all. The only one that marginally is related to the argument only links to itself with a few anecdotal stories.

Could you fill your boots with these? Please come back with a counterargument with your words, instead of linking articles that fail to disprove anything.
http://blog.independent.org/2015/04/07/ ... -wont-die/
http://www.forbes.com/sites/jennagoudre ... -than-men/
http://www.pnas.org/content/108/8/3157.abstract
http://www.consad.com/content/reports/G ... Report.pdf
Calshot
Volare!
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: SoLongAgo
Steam: Vodkakui

Postby mue 26 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:52 pm

You can link me to a dozen more articles telling me that the wage gap doesn't exist or that it's all down to women's choices. And I could link you to dozens of articles which convincingly rebuff those claims. But I know neither of us are ever going to agree on this (well, not until gender pay disparity really does disappear).

I'd like to at least pretend that I could get through to you about how horrible it is to trivialize another person's suffering though, and that people have been driven to suicide from "reading mean things on twitter". As this attitude, displaying a total lack of compassion for a fellow human being, is given a disgusting amount of free rein on the internet. I mean, what if it was a friend of yours, or your sister, or girlfriend who were on the receiving end and distraught? Would you really still compare there pain to Malaya Joya's and tell them to toughen up? Genuine question.

mue 26 has received a thanks from: Yukupo
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby OL » Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:23 pm

Hannah Davis.
Now there's a broad I wouldn't mind filling with baby batter.

OL has received 2 thanks from: MiTT3NZ, Raithos
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:24 pm

Oh, shit, sorry. Thought this was the Good Looking Broads topic for a second.
Don't mind me. Carry on.

OL has received 6 thanks from: Calshot, Kenny, MiTT3NZ, Raithos, silent killer, St. Elmo's Fire
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Calshot » Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:36 pm

mue 26 wrote: And I could link you to dozens of articles which convincingly rebuff those claims.

Except you haven't done that at all.

mue 26 wrote:I'd like to at least pretend that I could get through to you about how horrible it is to trivialize another person's suffering though, and that people have been driven to suicide from "reading mean things on twitter". As this attitude, displaying a total lack of compassion for a fellow human being, is given a disgusting amount of free rein on the internet. I mean, what if it was a friend of yours, or your sister, or girlfriend who were on the receiving end and distraught? Would you really still compare there pain to Malaya Joya's and tell them to toughen up? Genuine question.

How do you not understand that there are different levels of suffering?
Melody Hensley made a comparison that her being cyber-bullied is equivalent to what a war veteran faces. I'm not trivializing her suffering. The woman herself made the comparison, not me. All I'm doing is pointing that it's not a very good comparison since what war veterans face is objectively worse than what she's gone through.

And are you really trying to pull an appeal to emotion? FYI, my sister really did try to commit suicide. Do you think I went, "well tough shit sis, there are soldiers in Afghanistan who are seeing their friends being blown up by IEDs."? C'mon son.

OL wrote: Oh, shit, sorry. Thought this was the Good Looking Broads topic for a second.
Don't mind me. Carry on.

I have a feeling you knew what you were doing. :D
Calshot
Volare!
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: SoLongAgo
Steam: Vodkakui

Postby Riku Rose » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:02 am

Yukupo wrote: @ Riku

That's basically the kind of stuff I'm talking about. The idea that the only reason men care about women is because they want to have sex with them. That joke basically is, 'male feminists can't get women the traditional way, so they're just faking caring about women's issues to get them into bed.' It reflects what I mean about objectification of women. It's acknowledging that you don't see them as human beings worthy of the same rights and treatment that men get.

I'm proud to be a feminist because I care about the rights and feelings of others. I don't think it's that radical of a concept. :-k

And again, feminism isn't about putting down men, it's about putting down this attitude towards women.

Bambi wrote: Image
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Shenmuedabest » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:34 am

Imagine you'd just achieved something truly spectacular, and you were announcing to the world your success in a mission which you had been involved in for over a year and was the undoubted pinnacle of your career thus far. You'd be pretty excited, right? Well imagine if a bunch of SJWs completely piss all over your bonfire and hurl a tirade of sexism accusations just because you wear a slightly risqué shirt. Is that fair? Would you consider it a definitive example of true equality between the sexes in this world? I don't think so. I felt so sorry for Matt Taylor, to be reduced to tears and have to provide a grovelling apology for what can at worst be considered a crime against fashion, and if that was reason enough for the feminazis to decide to punish an offender then Jeff would have been hung drawn and quartered by now.

Shenmuedabest has received a thanks from: silent killer
Shenmuedabest
Banned
Banned

Postby mue 26 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:35 am

All I'm doing is pointing that it's not a very good comparison since what war veterans face is objectively worse than what she's gone through.

This is where your whole argument falls apart. There is no way to objectively quantify suffering. The suffering of someone being cyber bullied on twitter may indeed be as bad, or even worse, than the suffering of a war veteran. Proof of this is that people have killed themselves over stuff like "mean things" that were said on twitter.
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Riku Rose » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:10 am

^A few months ago you said that people shouldn't step in if a mother refuses to take thier child to a doctor due to religious reasons. Now you think a soldier who risks their life for you and comes back with PTSD is the same as someone who is a bit upset someone called them a cunt on Twitter.

You're sick mue, seriously sick in the head.

Riku Rose has received 2 thanks from: Raithos, Three Blades
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic