Kickstarter Update #14 - Yu Suzuki on Twitch this Friday

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Kickstarter Update #14 - Yu Suzuki on Twitch this Friday

Postby James Brown » Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:48 am

I know the rewards they added were limited, since they're ancient items now a days, but they definately need to add a reward like the phoenix and dragon mirrors that is limitless, like the first tiers up to $500. Right now, they also need to figure out a way to split the tiers, because people that have backed more than $500, are constantly losing out as the tiers don't offer any of the other rewards other than the standard $500. When I just upped my pledge to $1000, any more rewards that they are adding, i'm going to have to ditch one for the other and feel upset to have to lose items I would still like to have, but they throw a new tier up and half the money for it is the same $500 reward that I am already backing.

If they could maybe do something to encourage the $30 on the 3rd, but just having a tier where it's replica mirrors + digital game for pc or ps4, but have it at say $150-$200 i'd probably back that on the 3rd aswell as my $1k tier. But I fear that they are going to do a $750 tier with the mirrors, and the $1k one and beyond tiers are going to stay as they are, with just the $500 reward included.
James Brown
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

XBL: skilljimmeh
Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby KidMarine » Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:50 am

James Brown wrote:they definately need to add a reward like the phoenix and dragon mirrors that is limitless, like the first tiers up to $500

This is so simple and would (probably) be such a moneymaker it's beyond me why it isn't up there already.
KidMarine
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: KiddMarine
Steam: KiddMarine
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby bikingjehuty » Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:54 am

KidMarine wrote:
James Brown wrote:they definately need to add a reward like the phoenix and dragon mirrors that is limitless, like the first tiers up to $500

This is so simple and would (probably) be such a moneymaker it's beyond me why it isn't up there already.

They are probably looking for a manufacturer that can make them at a decent price, and then have them guarantee the stock so they can offer it as a reward tier. These things take time, and I'm sure they are working diligently. My complaint is that they didn't think of this before launching the KS.
bikingjehuty
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby myshtuff » Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:54 am

The twitch stream didn't hurt the already existent die hard Shenmue fan base as evidence by the new rewards already selling out. As I have said before, Suzuki could take a shit in a video game case with the number 3 on it and it would sell to us. Its just unfortunate that the stream probably prevented alot of new backers from donating because of the clear lack of quality. Oh well. Only time will tell how this whole thing turns out.
myshtuff
Dojo Dirtbag
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Myshtuff
Steam: spivakar
Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby mjq jazz bar » Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:57 am

RiGoRmOrTiS wrote:
mjq jazz bar wrote: They made $40K yesterday and will probably make 60-80K today, so let's calm down.

putting up a few limited number of grab bags will only give you a one time boost where die hards who have already pledged will up their pledge. Now that they are all taken (well some people keep backing out, 2 are available as of writing this..) it will drop right back down to 25k a day or less (half of what bloodstained was doing).

I understand that, but it is still doing relatively ok without the bump. Just look at comparable Kickstarters. No one is making hundreds of thousands a day, even games with amazing, tightly run campaigns.
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: mortimerOA
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

Postby squall » Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:19 am

It was bad. And yes, unfortunately, I think to strangers to Shenmue it probably makes the project look like a joke. At the very least it makes it look unprofessional and like those involved don't know what they are doing. And while maybe that's true about Awesome Japan (I don't know them personally) it certainly isn't true of Yu Suzuki or the original development team.

That is what bothers me most. This guy is representing SHENMUE - this amazing game series that Yu created. This game that Yu never gave up on. This game which after all this time he is working hard to make happen properly. And this game series which represents a large portion of his life's work - has this guy looking very inebriated whilst representing it. It's a shame. And I don't like calling people out, because usually people are trying, and just may not be succeeding. He doesn't seem to be trying. But honestly, Awesome Japan is probably just out of their depth.

I had to stop watching it. And then I see it looks like they only did like 5 questions. Sigh. Questions which have mostly been answered 20 times.

squall has received 3 thanks from: Aimless Gamer, Axm, Gavan
squall
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Jibby » Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:39 am

People are being too harsh. Yes, it was unprofessional, but no, it hasn't and won't hurt the Kickstarter and it doesn't make the project look bad. I understand that it's Shenmue III and it's really important, but we need to stop looking for excuses and justifications for the slowing down of the KS - it's only natural.
Last night we found out some new information and got some new reward tiers which in result caused a funding boost. I don't see how anyone can think that is a bad thing. Perhaps they could have answered some more questions but it's still better than nothing.

Plus, Red Shirt was lovable.

Jibby has received a thanks from: mjq jazz bar
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Upstairsmuffin » Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:59 am

I thought the translator was cute.

Kenny wrote: Yeah, this fanbase is nuts.

That's the result of waiting for a game for 14 years. xD
Upstairsmuffin
Asia Travel Representative

XBL: UpstairsMuffin
Steam: UpstairsMuffin

Postby ElephantStone » Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:04 am

mjq jazz bar wrote: Also, while the long haired guy was totally annoying, I found the translator even more annoying. He had a lot of trouble articulating Yu Suzuki's words into English.

Dude, he was the fucking worst! Constantly bumbling through his shitty translations, umming and arring every 2 seconds, and then he'd just fucking stop. Like, not even finish translating Yu Suzuki's comment, and then the cheeky little fucker would smile and nod and look all proud of himself.

I actually couldn't believe this guy.

ElephantStone has received a thanks from: Axm
ElephantStone
Banned
Banned

Postby Upstairsmuffin » Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:07 am

ElephantStone wrote:
mjq jazz bar wrote: Also, while the long haired guy was totally annoying, I found the translator even more annoying. He had a lot of trouble articulating Yu Suzuki's words into English.

Dude, he was the fucking worst! Constantly bumbling through his shitty translations, umming and arring every 2 seconds, and then he'd just fucking stop. Like, not even finish translating Yu Suzuki's comment, and then the cheeky little fucker would smile and nod and look all proud of himself.

I actually couldn't believe this guy.

Aww, I thought he did a pretty good job. I'm sure someone here who knows Japanese will be able to tell us how accurate the translations were anyway though. I thought he seemed very nice and polite.
Upstairsmuffin

XBL: UpstairsMuffin
Steam: UpstairsMuffin

Postby Doom_Infinite » Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:24 am

As a Japanese American I can vouch for his translation. When he spoke less than Suzuki san it was often because in Japanese the explanation is more delicate and the translator just translated it straight to the point, which is alright imo.
Doom_Infinite
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby jay_mack » Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:27 am

Jibby wrote: People are being too harsh. Yes, it was unprofessional, but no, it hasn't and won't hurt the Kickstarter and it doesn't make the project look bad. I understand that it's Shenmue III and it's really important, but we need to stop looking for excuses and justifications for the slowing down of the KS - it's only natural.
Last night we found out some new information and got some new reward tiers which in result caused a funding boost. I don't see how anyone can think that is a bad thing. Perhaps they could have answered some more questions but it's still better than nothing.

What's weird is everyone keeps talking about how it is hurting the kickstarter, but we've raised as much so far today, as we did all day yesterday (which was our best day this week) and today's not even half over.
jay_mack

Currently playing: Destiny

Postby Axm » Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:55 pm

The translator did ok, but a simple pencil and paper to make quick bullet points would have kept him on track. Translating Japanese is already hard, you dont have to make it harder on yourself.

Sent from my SGP311 using Tapatalk
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby MaxTheRabbit » Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:57 pm

jay_mack wrote:
Jibby wrote: People are being too harsh. Yes, it was unprofessional, but no, it hasn't and won't hurt the Kickstarter and it doesn't make the project look bad. I understand that it's Shenmue III and it's really important, but we need to stop looking for excuses and justifications for the slowing down of the KS - it's only natural.

What's weird is everyone keeps talking about how it is hurting the kickstarter, but we've raised as much so far today, as we did all day yesterday (which was our best day this week) and today's not even half over.

today is also a saturday, I would think more would come in anyway?
MaxTheRabbit
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby James Brown » Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:22 pm

MaxTheRabbit wrote:
jay_mack wrote:

today is also a saturday, I would think more would come in anyway?

And it's only really because of those extra rewards.
James Brown
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

XBL: skilljimmeh

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III