Resume feature

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Resume feature

Postby BlueCreeperBoy12 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:23 am

It's a bit stupid. Think about it. it deletes itself after you load. Rediculus. Also if you use it then load, then do something wrong but forget how it works, then quit to load again you can't load it. Does anyone know how to use it effectively?
Last edited by BlueCreeperBoy12 on Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BlueCreeperBoy12
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Re: Resume feature

Postby BlueMue » Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:40 am

The only effective use it ever has is when you have to quit the game in a pinch and want to come back to it later.

You have to save in Ryo's room for any proper save. This is something they'd have to change in an HD port and one of the things I really want to ask Yu Suzuki why.

BlueMue has received a thanks from: Miles Prower
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby drunkensailor » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:19 am

they solved this in shenmue 2 though
drunkensailor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: gjb1985

Postby JaySw34 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:50 am

When I played Shenmue as a young kid it took me a few screw ups to actually understand that using the resume feature would only load once. It would also be my only way of saving the game. Lost my progress a few times before I finally understood lol. Shenmue 2s save system was so much better.
JaySw34
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: JaySw34

Postby shengoro86 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:04 am

The resume feature was there if you needed to leave in an emergency. The save structure is made that way to force you to go back to Ryo's home so that you may experience the game world even more. Its inline with the reason why the controls are the way they are. It is also systematically making you need to experience the game world.

Dont think of it as saving the game, think of it as Ryo returning home to reflect on the day.

I asked Suzuki this question back in like '07 when I met him and that is what he told me.

shengoro86 has received 2 thanks from: BlueMue, Miles Prower
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

PSN: Shengoro86
XBL: Rock Is Sponge
Currently playing: Shenmue III (PC)

Postby BlueMue » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

shengoro86 wrote: Dont think of it as saving the game, think of it as Ryo returning home to reflect on the day.

I asked Suzuki this question back in like '07 when I met him and that is what he told me.

What? Wow... I've wanted an answer to this question for so long and you just happen to have it.
Wish I had heard this earlier. I guess we just always missed the proper thread. :mrgreen:
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby shengoro86 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:15 am

I never made a thread on it. Yu Suzuki will be on twitch tonight so maybe some can ask him again to see if we can get a recording of it.
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

PSN: Shengoro86
XBL: Rock Is Sponge
Currently playing: Shenmue III (PC)

Postby JaySw34 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:16 am

shengoro86 wrote:

Wow that's so awesome. What else did you ask him?
JaySw34
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: JaySw34

Postby BlueMue » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:22 am

shengoro86 wrote: I never made a thread on it. Yu Suzuki will be on twitch tonight so maybe some can ask him again to see if we can get a recording of it.

I've already suggested this very question about the restricted saving today. That's the funny thing.
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Miles Prower » Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:13 pm

Not sure I entirely agree with the reasoning for the restrictive saving system, but it's nice to finally know why :)
Miles Prower
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

XBL: sppeac1987

Postby Mr357 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:22 pm

On the contrary, I think it was a good feature. If you had to quit, you could do so at (almost) any time without losing progress, but it couldn't be abused like in Shenmue 2 and most RPG's. In Shenmue 2, I would go to a Big or Small stand in Fortune's Pier which had a maximum bet of $500, save my game right there, and then play until I made as much money as I wanted. If I lost I could just restart my Dreamcast and try again, but if I won I could overwrite the save with one that now had more money, thus securing my winnings. Yes, it comes down to player choice, but I feel as if that was an easy way out of challenge the game was trying to provide. I did the same thing in order to reduce time spent on the Ghost Hall building, but I don't feel bad about that.

Mr357 has received a thanks from: Chaos
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby drunkensailor » Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:11 am

Mr357 wrote: On the contrary, I think it was a good feature. If you had to quit, you could do so at (almost) any time without losing progress, but it couldn't be abused like in Shenmue 2 and most RPG's. In Shenmue 2, I would go to a Big or Small stand in Fortune's Pier which had a maximum bet of $500, save my game right there, and then play until I made as much money as I wanted. If I lost I could just restart my Dreamcast and try again, but if I won I could overwrite the save with one that now had more money, thus securing my winnings. Yes, it comes down to player choice, but I feel as if that was an easy way out of challenge the game was trying to provide. I did the same thing in order to reduce time spent on the Ghost Hall building, but I don't feel bad about that.

you could cheat the gambling thing just as much with a resume feature :roll:
drunkensailor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Mr357 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:15 pm

drunkensailor wrote:
Mr357 wrote: On the contrary, I think it was a good feature. If you had to quit, you could do so at (almost) any time without losing progress, but it couldn't be abused like in Shenmue 2 and most RPG's. In Shenmue 2, I would go to a Big or Small stand in Fortune's Pier which had a maximum bet of $500, save my game right there, and then play until I made as much money as I wanted. If I lost I could just restart my Dreamcast and try again, but if I won I could overwrite the save with one that now had more money, thus securing my winnings. Yes, it comes down to player choice, but I feel as if that was an easy way out of challenge the game was trying to provide. I did the same thing in order to reduce time spent on the Ghost Hall building, but I don't feel bad about that.

you could cheat the gambling thing just as much with a resume feature :roll:

No you couldn't. Once you save, it forces you to instantly turn off the game, meaning you can't reset any closer than the last time you saved from your room.
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby drunkensailor » Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:58 pm

ah yes I forgot about that
drunkensailor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Taren Fox » Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:25 pm

Could someone explain the resume feature to me? For whatever reason, I don't remember it at all.
Taren Fox
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue

Next

Return to Shenmue