The Villages: everything we know so far

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

The Villages: everything we know so far

Postby colacube » Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:33 pm

I'm most excited by the new locations we'll get to explore, so I've collected images and descriptions of what we already know...

Baisha

Concept art and photos: http://imgur.com/a/Urtpj

Yu Suzuki said: Baisha will show off what Shenmue is all about. Live out a siege game reminiscent of the Warring kingdoms. See what strategist will come out on top.

May possibly feature an 'infiltration mission' into the Chi You Men's Guilin branch. The buildings shown in the concept art are called Tulous. They are between three and five stories high, can house up to 80 families and are easily defensible.

Choubu

Concept art and photos: http://imgur.com/a/eU3uV

Yu Suzuki said: Choubu is a riverside village with lots of shops, souvenir stores, hotels and temples. The quests in this village should be very enjoyable, I think.

And: Amidst the mystical scenery of the Li River, Choubu lies in a water colour painting come to life. The port of call will be filled with souvenir shops and hotels, shrines and village dwellings. Expect to meet a sage master of Nanquan there.

This area may feature the 'Magic Maze' technique of generating building interiors. It could also feature a part time job of some sort.

Bailu

Concept art and photos: http://imgur.com/a/YBRqA

Yu Suzuki said: Bailu is the village where Shenhua was raised and also a place that Ryo's father, Iwao, had visited when he was younger. Here as well the quests will play an important role as Ryo and Shenhua start their journey.

And: Shenmue 2 ends at Shenhua's house in the outskirts of Bailu village. Bailu village is waiting to be explored for real.

Have I missed any information?

colacube
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Favorite title: Shenmue

Re: The Villages: everything we know so far

Postby Ceej » Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:47 pm

Looks like you got everything.

These environments seem like such a rapid departure from Shenmue I and II...is anyone else kind of nervous? I'm sure it will be great but I just loved exploring the crowded streets of the first two games...maybe I'm overreacting?
Ceej
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Himuro » Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:48 pm

Where's the racist guy who said he didn't want Shenmue III to take place in mud huts because it'd be in rural China? :rotflmao:

Those real world pics are majestic.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Truck_1_0_1_ » Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:50 pm

Hmm, this has me thinking of chapters; are the chapters going to be a village each? Or Bailu is part of chapter 5 (we ARE still on 5, technically), then the other two bring it to chapter 7?

I'm confused and intrigued lol
Truck_1_0_1_

PSN: Truck_1_0_1_
Steam: Truck_1_0_1_
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Nothing :(

Postby KidMarine » Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:53 pm

Man they looks beautiful. Can't wait to see them in-game.
KidMarine
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: KiddMarine
Steam: KiddMarine

Postby ShenmueTree » Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:53 pm

I feel you can maybe get pretty lost in a Tulou. I mean, they can be 5 stories right? You could potentiality be walking in literal circles. O_O Now, that's not to mention if there's a bridge that connects two or more together. Could be amazing. I like the symmetry that have as well. xD

Chobu looks very interesting as well. Very atmospheric. Almost like Shenmue 1's Yamanose but much larger.
ShenmueTree
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby BlueMue » Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:03 pm

I always imagined Shenmue III to be quite different from the first two games as far as enviroments go.
It's only natural that the villages get smaller and more rural, with the setting deep in the chinese country.

I'll personally miss the look and feel of Dobuita, Wan Chai and Kowloon but these new villages will be beautiful in a whole new way. Also it's cool that we get to see something vastly different in each game.

BlueMue has received a thanks from: Henry Spencer
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Latin King » Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:34 pm

I definitely saw this coming with what's been shown in the concept photos of III that have been floating over the years. The villages look like they will be very interesting and take us in a unique direction not shown in Shenmue before. Shenmue I immersed us in a small-town, suburban setting in Japan, Shenmue II brought us to the big, bustling cities of Hong Kong and Kowloon, and Shenmue III will give us a look at the life in the small rural villages in the countryside of China. I'm personally very excited for it, and we definitely got a taste of it at the end of Shenmue II.
Latin King
West Coast

Postby Henry Spencer » Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:36 pm

The fact that they seem so different from the locations we have encountered before makes me even more excited. I love the variety of the locations in each Shenmue game. Makes each game memorable and unique that way.

Henry Spencer has received a thanks from: Dragon St.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby 0rganiker » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:46 pm

I'm also excited by these new locations. Smaller doesn't necessarily mean worse. Probably the biggest draw for me has always been the culture. When I play Shenmue it feels like I'm in Japan at that location in that time period. I'm transported in the same way people talk about a book transporting them, though personally I feel this is more powerful due to the audio and visuals. For that reason, as much as I loved vicariously living in Japan, I wouldn't have wanted to repeat that in the 2nd game. Instead, there was a new culture to immerse one's self in.

Now, with the 3rd installment finally coming, we get to see something completely new. At the same time it will feel familiar, because it's still Suzuki's vision connecting everything together. This is a very exciting time indeed.
0rganiker
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Miles Prower » Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:38 pm

It will be very interesting to explore these areas indeed, Disc 4 of S2 was already a nice taster with some beautiful scenery and music so looking forward to seeing the villages themselves in today's graphics :D
Miles Prower
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

XBL: sppeac1987

Postby Supa » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:09 am

I can't wait!

And those who are worried, don't be. As far back as the Shenmue Master interviews, Yu had always said Shenmue III would be in smaller locations compared to I and II.
Supa
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby johnvivant » Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:31 am

i didn't really appreciate until re-reading this post that the 'waring kingdoms siege' and the 'infiltration mission' are actually separate events.

i think someone speculated that the 'waring kingdoms siege' might involve the defense of a village/castle similar to the film Seven Samurai. that would be amazing.

infiltration mission of a chiyoumen base might be 'low tech metal gear affair'. ;-)
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Supa » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:06 am

Are they different? I thought they were the same thing.
Supa
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby Switch » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:23 am

Yu's comment from the first Twitch stream about infiltration and siege gameplay seems to suggest they are separate, but it's fairly general:
YS: If the $5m mark is reached, we will focus on the area of Baisha. There will be new types of play here which were not present in Shenmue I & II. Typical classical war strategies from the historical Three Kingdoms period of China, such as seiges and infiltration, will be incorporated.
Switch
News Poster
News Poster

Next

Return to Shenmue III