About The Disaster I watched on Twitch …

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

About The Disaster I watched on Twitch …

Postby Technophilz » Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:57 am

Shenmue is a brand that has always set the imagination of fans around the world on fire, and having a new instalment in this wonderful series has always been one of my dreams since my very early days as a video gamer.

One of the most important aspects in Shenmue has been its unprecedented attention to detail, in almost every NPC, every line of speech, every interaction, every building, town, city, almost everything used to scream perfection loud and clear. Shenmue back in the days was the very first of its kind, it was a fantastic story with rich vivid environments and state-of-the art audio-visual interactive design and presentation. Shenmue was so advanced it even had DLC and online functionality and that was 15 years ago. However, some may argue that the one of the biggest problems of Shenmue in the Dreamcast era was being way ahead of its time, the videogame market wasn't ready or mature enough to fully appreciate something as huge as Shenmue especially on the a platform like the Dreamcast. Today and more than 14 years later, we live in a world where Shenmue 3 is a reality.

But it’s 2015, a world where the video games industry has gone a long way, the likes of GTAV, The Witcher 3, Metal Gear Solid V, Uncharted and many more keep redefining what an epic video gaming experience could and should be. I want Shenmue 3 to be the even more epic experience that I have dreamed of since the ending of Shenmue 2. As much as I want to say yes we are going to get that from Shenmue 3, things keep pushing me in the opposite direction. Shenmue 3 has been so far “feeding” on the Shenmue 1 and 2 since its very first moment of existence, yes I know Shenmue 3 is a continuation and it should be based on the very first two games in one way or another, but usually when a new game is announced, especially after years of painful waiting, one should expect at least some “original” material to look at, to be excited about and most importantly in Shenmue’s case to financially back the project with their hard-earned money. Is that the case so far with Shenmue 3? Before you answer that I’d like to ask you to look at the amount of stock material Shenmue 3 campaign have been using since day 1. Stock music, stock game art, stock demo videos etc..

This makes me think what’s the reasons behind using as much stock material in what’s supposed to be THE advertising campaign for the game? Then look at the “new” Shenmue 3 stuff, I think those are simply horrible, starting with the font and design used in the new Shenmue 3 logo, to the bad characters models in the announcement trailer (they deliberately zoomed on them in the video although they knew they look horrible). How much time does it take to make a decent CG video in 2015? Especially with the muscle power of Unreal Engine 4? They had at least 1-2 years before the announcement to make “something” decent, but still I think the announcement was fantastic, although and to be completely honest, we should thank Sony for it, and their effort was a priceless push forward to the Shenmue 3 project. However, after that brilliant moment, the momentum started to slow down more and more.

The press started to negatively talk about Sony’s role and involvement. Yet another missed chance is the ambiguous stretch goals which are still unclear till this very moment, the new terms and systems need to be explained much further, they need to be demoed in some form to convince more people to join in and support the project, which is unfortunately is not happening as well as we want it to.

And last but not least, let’s talk a bit about the disastrous Twitch stream. That stream was supposed to be a great chance to push the Kickstarter higher and I thought it would by at least 1M, since it was pay day and people were very excited for it, then, everything went wrong, the unprofessional set up, the shaky camera, the horrible low sound and the echo problem, also it looks like the Kickstarter prizes and info about them were not ready, they had a free choice over what questions they answer live and for most of them they didn't even have an answer and kept asking fans to be patient and wait, after 14 years of painful waiting they asked us to wait and wait even more.

I think Shenmue 3 as it stands today is in a very serious threat of being “behind” of its time, that level of perfection that has always trademarked Shenmue is simply missing, things everywhere feel rushed and unprofessional on so many levels, the only thing that’s keeping this project alive is Yu Suzuki and his legacy, we all know he’s a legend and can do wonders. However, in order to truly #SaveShenmue, he and he alone has to act fast before it’s too late …. We've been waiting for Shenmue 3 for more than 14 years, and we as a community need to do our best to make Shenmue 3 a success if we ever want to see Shenmue 4 …
Last edited by Technophilz on Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Technophilz
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Shenmue IIx

Re: About The Disaster I watched on Twitch …

Postby Doom_Infinite » Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:09 am

No offense but that wall of text... Please use paragraphs. I'm still working my way through that. O_O
Doom_Infinite

Postby NismoZZzz » Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:12 am

They made $68,000 from the new rewards alone. 3000 people watched it. We have a dedicated fan base so the mainstream will not effect this kick starter too much. It will more than likely go over $5,000,000 when all is said and done. We're fine, there's no worrying and there's enough happening in the community that will help. At the same time, more rewards will come so this twitch did what it needed to do. He clarified stupid questions morons can't grasp and they made $68000 in an hour.

NismoZZzz has received 3 thanks from: benayun88, Himuro, Hyo Razuki
NismoZZzz
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Reprise » Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:35 am

I'm really sorry, but all I saw was

Reprise has received a thanks from: Shenhua-Nani?
Reprise
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Jackie Fhan » Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:29 am

No offense man but come on

Shenmue is a brand that has always set the imagination of fans around the world on fire, and having a new installment in this wonderful series has always been one of my dreams since my very early days as a video gamer.

One of the most important aspects in Shenmue has been its unprecedented attention to detail, in almost every NPC, every line of speech, every interaction, every building, town, city, almost everything used to scream perfection loud and clear. Shenmue back in the days was the very first of its kind, it was a fantastic story with rich vivid environments and state-of-the art audio-visual interactive design and presentation. Shenmue was so advanced it even had DLC and online functionality and that was 15 years ago. However, some may argue that the one of the biggest problems of Shenmue in the Dreamcast era was being way ahead of its time, the videogame market wasn’t ready or mature enough to fully appreciate something as huge as Shenmue especially on the a platform like the Dreamcast. Today and more than 14 years later, we live in a world where Shenmue 3 is a reality.

But it’s 2015, a world where the video games industry has gone a long way, the likes of GTAV, The Witcher 3, Metal Gear Solid V, Uncharted and many more keep redefining what an epic video gaming experience could and should be. I want Shenmue 3 to be the even more epic experience that I have dreamed of since the ending of Shenmue 2. As much as I want to say yes we are going to get that from Shenmue 3, things keep pushing me in the opposite direction. Shenmue 3 has been so far “feeding” on the Shenmue 1 and 2 since its very first moment of existence, yes I know Shenmue 3 is a continuation and it should be based on the very first two games in one way or another, but usually when a new game is announced, especially after years of painful waiting, one should expect at least some “original” material to look at, to be excited about and most importantly in Shenmue’s case to financially back the project with their hard-earned money. Is that the case so far with Shenmue 3? Before you answer that I’d like to ask you to look at the amount of stock material Shenmue 3 campaign have been using since day 1. Stock music, stock game art, stock demo videos etc.

This makes me think what’s the reasons behind using as much stock material in what’s supposed to be THE advertising campaign for the game? Then look at the “new” Shenmue 3 stuff, I think those are simply horrible, starting with the font and design used in the new Shenmue 3 logo, to the bad characters models in the announcement trailer (they deliberately zoomed on them in the video although they knew they look horrible). How much time does it take to make a decent CG video in 2015? Especially with the muscle power of Unreal Engine 4? They had at least 1-2 years before the announcement to make “something” decent, but still I think the announcement was fantastic, although and to be completely honest, we should thank Sony for it, and their effort was a priceless push forward to the Shenmue 3 project. However, after that brilliant moment, the momentum started to slow down more and more.

The press started to negatively talk about Sony’s role and involvement. Yet another missed chance is the ambiguous stretch goals which are still unclear till this very moment, the new terms and systems need to be explained much further, they need to be demoed in some form to convince more people to join in and support the project, which is unfortunately is not happening as well as we want it to.

And last but not least, let’s talk a bit about the disastrous Twitch stream. That stream was supposed to be a great chance to push the Kickstarter higher and I thought it would by at least 1M, since it was pay day and people were very excited for it, then, everything went wrong, the unprofessional set up, the shaky camera, the horrible low sound and the echo problem, also it looks like the Kickstarter prizes and info about them were not ready, they had a free choice over what questions they answer live and for most of them they didn't even have an answer and kept asking fans to be patient and wait, after 14 years of painful waiting they asked us to wait and wait even more.

I think Shenmue 3 as it stands today is in a very serious threat of being “behind” of its time, that level of perfection that has always trademarked Shenmue is simply missing, things everywhere feel rushed and unprofessional on so many levels, the only thing that’s keeping this project alive is Yu Suzuki and his legacy, we all know he’s a legend and can do wonders. However, in order to truly #SaveShenmue, he and he alone has to act fast before it’s too late …. We’ve been waiting for Shenmue 3 for more than 14 years, and we as a community need to do our best Shenmue 3 is a success if we ever want to see Shenmue 4 …
Jackie Fhan
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Jak , Sly Cooper, Many..

Postby Stocke » Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:37 am

I honestly cant wait for the Kickstarter to be over.
We know the stream was shit, you didn't need to write a short story.
Stocke
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby BlueMue » Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:39 am

Let us all just gulp this down and continue on.
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby johnvivant » Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:07 am

i think at the moment we have to appreciate that they are doing all this on very little or no money, unlike the first games where there was a huge publisher behind it. And you never even saw these early stages of a project before development had even begun. This was probably filmed at their office, and most of the people were interns working for free.
i thought it was ok. its a shame they couldn't answer more questions.

but so much great news came out of it;
more tiers, Ryo watch!
Corey Marshall coming back!
re working Ryo's face (better, but still not perfect, they admit its still being worked on)
more game details
they are working to get a ps4 physical release!

johnvivant has received 3 thanks from: Jibby, PacemaŜinobo, Thief
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Axm » Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:57 am

johnvivant wrote:Corey Marshall coming back!

It's not official yet, they are still "negotiating" but I'm confident Corey will take a decent deal and heed our call to battle.
Nerds unite!
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby yesteryeargames » Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:31 am

Yes red shirt guy was a little odd and probably on something ;)
He was annoying but also funny .

Better than a boring interviewer, and maybe more appealing to new backers of the series ?
yesteryeargames
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Currently playing: Splatoon

Postby Henry Spencer » Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:58 am

Video podcast where two people talk about how "troubled" Awesome Japan's track record has been.

phpBB [video]

Starts around the 15:30 mark...

Henry Spencer has received 2 thanks from: Axm, Giorgio
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Crimson Ryan » Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:00 am

Who actually are Awesome Japan?
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Himuro » Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:20 am

Crimson Ryan wrote: Who actually are Awesome Japan?

The people that weren't Yu in the stream. They are a corresponding/marketing/pr firm that is hired for the kickstarter campaign.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby mjq jazz bar » Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:25 am

I really wonder how Ys Net found them. The guys who did the Bloodstained page are also based in Japan, right?
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: mortimerOA
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

Postby Axm » Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:26 am

Henry Spencer wrote:Video podcast where two people talk about how "troubled" Awesome Japan's track record has been.

phpBB [video]

Starts around the 15:30 mark...

Wow..
First off, these people do a GREAT job with this podcast and are very knowledgeable in explinations of everything they discussed.

Secondly, wow wow wow... I thought Awesome Japan was bad before, now its a joke really.
Suzuki simply has to get rid of them. They are in over their heads.
I am actually legitimately concerned about them handling our money correctly and making further PR gaffs.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Next

Return to Shenmue III