Get Shibuya Productions to manage/absorb KS?

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Get Shibuya Productions to manage/absorb KS?

Postby drunkensailor » Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:40 pm

elmatto wrote: You guys are being unrealistic if you think Awesome japan is going to be replaced.

if shenmue 3 is possible then why not this?

drunkensailor has received a thanks from: Mr357
drunkensailor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: gjb1985
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Wude-Tang Clan » Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:49 pm

drunkensailor wrote:
elmatto wrote: You guys are being unrealistic if you think Awesome japan is going to be replaced.

They can be replaced overnight; yes, it's that easy. Things like this happen every single day in business, it's nothing out of the ordinary.
Wude-Tang Clan
Master of the Three Blades

Postby elmatto » Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:21 pm

Well I wish I had your guys enthusiasm.
If i'm wrong I'll be elated.
elmatto

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby NeoShredder » Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:26 pm

elmatto wrote: Well I wish I had your guys enthusiasm.

https://twitter.com/CedricBiscay/status ... 8877327360

[-o<

Biscay, in English wrote: Taking Charge.

NeoShredder has received 2 thanks from: mjq jazz bar, Yokosuka
NeoShredder
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

PSN: NeoShredder5

Postby Rikitatsu » Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:03 pm

Taking charge

...Like a boss.
Rikitatsu
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby ys » Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:21 pm

Wude-Tang Clan wrote:
drunkensailor wrote:

They can be replaced overnight; yes, it's that easy. Things like this happen every single day in business, it's nothing out of the ordinary.

Not when I worked for a huge multinational company. They could be dissatisfied with people but keep them around for months anyway due to certain contractual details. So they let them go when it cost as little as possible and the replacement could start at that point. They only fired on the spot in extreme cases and tried to avoid that. Since it took them time to find a replacement which hurt business.
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Erevador » Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:24 pm

ys wrote:
Wude-Tang Clan wrote:
drunkensailor wrote:

Not when I worked for a huge multinational company. They could be dissatisfied with people but keep them around for months anyway due to certain contractual details. So they let them go when it cost as little as possible and the replacement could start at that point. They only fired on the spot in extreme cases and tried to avoid that. Since it took them time to find a replacement which hurt business.

That's quite a different situation than a Kickstarter though where there is a very specific and high stakes timeline. One month, all or nothing. Coporate malaise isn't present in the same way in that situation.

In someways it's more analogous to the final month of a political campaign than to corporate business as usual.
Erevador
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Wude-Tang Clan » Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:57 pm

Erevador wrote:
ys wrote:
Wude-Tang Clan wrote:
drunkensailor wrote:

That's quite a different situation than a Kickstarter though where there is a very specific and high stakes timeline. One month, all or nothing. Coporate malaise isn't present in the same way in that situation.

In someways it's more analogous to the final month of a political campaign than to corporate business as usual.

Good analogy.

That's the benefit of being a smaller company. Having the ability to be nimble and adapt quickly, and make changes at a moments notice is a tremendous advantage; similar to a small, upscale restaurant changing an item on a menu that isn't working, to that of a titan of industry like McDonalds, that would take months and months to change.
Many film studios operate this way: there might be only 8 full-time employees for a multi-million dollar project, that has 50-100 other people working for them through other hiring agencies. If there needs to be changes, they can move people in and out, and once the project is completed, they scale back to their normal payroll.

I really don't expect YS to change course this late, though.
Wude-Tang Clan

Postby punkmanced » Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:15 pm

NeoShredder wrote:

[-o<

It should be noted that in the first tweet, Biscay seems puzzled as to why people are sending him complaints regarding Awesome Japan, insisting that it's not his area.

I take it that after enough ppl [rightfully] complained, he decided to step up/ step in.
Anyway, I hope he sets his foot down; we haven't been waiting 14 years for some amateurs to f**k things up when it's crunchtime.
punkmanced
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Anonymous81 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:00 am

My primary concern with this potential direction would be how it would be reported in the media.

Because WE'RE not thrilled with the handling of the campaign, we assume that it would generate a PR boon for the project should they be replaced. But would headlines like, oh, I don't know, "Shenmue 3 Kickstarter handlers replaced due to mismanagement," really have a positive impact on the public's view of the game and its campaign? And how might other partners feel about it? Sony for instance? Would such a move impact their sense of risk and therefore their willingness to contribute?

Just something to keep in mind. I completely concur that the campaign has not been ideal and that it lacks a veneer of professional production values. But I think we need to tread very carefully with what we choose to accentuate about the campaign. Determined, united front? Or potential fissures and negative perception seed planting?

Just a thought. I'm not shooting down the idea or anything. I just wonder if it might be a case of "Better the devil you know..." and not rocking the boat.
Anonymous81
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Witcher 3

Postby Doom_Infinite » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:03 am

punkmanced wrote:
NeoShredder wrote:

[-o<

It should be noted that in the first tweet, Biscay seems puzzled as to why people are sending him complaints regarding Awesome Japan, insisting that it's not his area.

I take it that after enough ppl [rightfully] complained, he decided to step up/ step in.
Anyway, I hope he sets his foot down; we haven't been waiting 14 years for some amateurs to f**k things up when it's crunchtime.

No, no I checked and I think the English translation is off, from what I understand: the guy before that tweet was basically blaming him for being so bad at the communication and KS and his reply was "why say that to me, the one responsible is Awesome Japan" kind of reply, he wasn't saying don't send complaints, just don't blame me for their mistakes. lol
Basically the guy who tweeted him the angry tweet didn't realize I guess.
Doom_Infinite

Postby Tomato Convenience Store » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:55 am

Anonymous81 wrote: My primary concern with this potential direction would be how it would be reported in the media.

Because WE'RE not thrilled with the handling of the campaign, we assume that it would generate a PR boon for the project should they be replaced. But would headlines like, oh, I don't know, "Shenmue 3 Kickstarter handlers replaced due to mismanagement," really have a positive impact on the public's view of the game and its campaign? And how might other partners feel about it? Sony for instance? Would such a move impact their sense of risk and therefore their willingness to contribute?

Just something to keep in mind. I completely concur that the campaign has not been ideal and that it lacks a veneer of professional production values. But I think we need to tread very carefully with what we choose to accentuate about the campaign. Determined, united front? Or potential fissures and negative perception seed planting?

Just a thought. I'm not shooting down the idea or anything. I just wonder if it might be a case of "Better the devil you know..." and not rocking the boat.

I agree with this. I don't know the best way to go about it, but none of the updates are specifically notated "from Awesome Japan". So then maybe the best course of action is for Shibuya Productions to take control behind the scenes and just implement a better campaign. They don't need to make an announcement or anything, or remove AJ from the Kickstarter Team page. Maybe Cedric can just give them very strict instructions on how to improve the campaign and what he wants from them everyday.

I also think the general wave of negativity here and on the kickstarter page itself isn't the best thing, either, but perhaps it does make a difference in the long run. I'm not sure.
Tomato Convenience Store
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: PuzzleQuest II

Postby LucBu » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:57 am

Anonymous81 wrote:My primary concern with this potential direction would be how it would be reported in the media.

Yeah. That worries me too.
LucBu

Postby Doom_Infinite » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:32 am

I don't understand how people expect Shibuya Productions to take over the KS. They have their own jobs and they probably don't have the know how to do a KS. The best Cedric Buscay can do is put Awesome Japan in their place and get them to grind more and better on the KS. I guess he could bring up to Suzuki san the possibility of changing to a different PR team but I think that would be very difficult if not impossible depending on the contract they have with AJ.
Doom_Infinite

Postby shredingskin » Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:31 am

Some guy saying he's from Awesome Japan is in the KS comments, don't think that he is, but maybe it can calm some of the people there.

At this moment the wheels are already turning, and the kickstarter is not THAT bad. We are just overprojecting on what shenmue actual interest is. It's a 15 yr old niche game, with a loyal fanbase, a lot of people thought it couldn't even manage to get 1 mil.

Also, what kind of thing can be made that will raise significantly the ammount of pledges ?

I can just see a physical ps4 game, some other tiers with cool rewards, more videos with the crew (that are gonna happen, hopefully subtitled), and a recap or introductory video of what's shenmue (and to be honest anyone that cares can just google "shenmue review").

Even then it's hard to know how much money could that bring.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III