The KS is a huge success and we shouldn't be discouraged

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: The KS is a huge success and we shouldn't be discouraged

Postby Tomato Convenience Store » Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:18 pm

Rikitatsu wrote: I think we need to look at this while noting that Shenmue's scope and targets are different from the other KS projects.
For example, for a 2D Platformer like Bloodstained, $5.5M is a huge success.

But for Shenmue which is an intricate open world franchise, having just $4M is not something special... Especially when considering the fact that Suzuki said he needs $10M to make the Shenmue 3 he wants to make, and the one people wanted to have.

Kickstarter and crowdfunding is still a very new concept, and the fact that a franchise that's been dormant for 14 years can compete with a huge and active franchise (Castlevania) is huge. Factor in that Shenmue III is on two platforms while Bloodstained is on ten. It's insane to think "anything less than double the most ever is a FAILURE!".

Things will figure themselves out. The most important thing is that we've proven there's a demand for this game. It's possible higher tier rewards, the 30onthe3rd, physical rewards for PS4, and paypal (especially post KS campaign) get the project much closer to what it needs.
Tomato Convenience Store
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: PuzzleQuest II

Postby redline » Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:21 pm

good news - KS worked. were getting shenmue 3 no matter what.

bad news - shenmue 3 is going to be a mobile phone game.

:-"

redline has received 3 thanks from: ElephantStone, MiTT3NZ, Technophilz
redline
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Doom_Infinite » Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:22 pm

I agree. The thing is the PR is vital to this and they started with a bang by opening infront of millions of viewers live at Sony's E3 conference, what happened afterwards was a completely unworthy follow up to such a fantastic start.

Bloodstained brought in a lot of outside the community gamers by making the Kickstarter a fantastic experience, making backers feel how unique and historical that moment was. This KS gives us very dry updates and has not done a good job on making the stretch goals exciting or hyped, for the most part people just feel discouraged that they're out of reach.
Doom_Infinite
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Wude-Tang Clan » Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:26 pm

Rikitatsu wrote:Especially when considering the fact that Suzuki said he needs $10M to make the Shenmue 3 he wants to make, and the one people wanted to have.

I'm not even sure if 10 million is accurate. How much in additional funding is he going to be receiving; 5 million or is it more?
Wude-Tang Clan

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Henry Spencer » Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:31 pm

That's the thing, nobody knows. Fingers crossed they have substantial funding from other parties for Yu Suzuki to be able to make the game he wants to and that the fans are happy with.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby MiTT3NZ » Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:34 pm

Looking at your avatar, then reading your post, then looking back at your avatar just makes me think that you already know how it all turns out and that we're going to hate it, then spend the next fifty years of our lives campaigning for a Shenmue IV that we'll never get.

MiTT3NZ has received 2 thanks from: mjq jazz bar, Technophilz
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby KidMarine » Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:35 pm

johnvivant wrote: If paypal is added post kickstarter then the fan community can run its own campaign to cover any shortfall (i'm optimistic, but 10 mill is a big ask). this new campaign could coincide with the tweetathon every month and we could create a 'fund-o'-meter' telling us exactly how much is required to reach the 10 million. it might take a year or more - who knows - but its definitely possible for fans to generate the funds required to make the game what it deserves to be.

This is a great idea. I really, really hope they implement this.
KidMarine
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: KiddMarine
Steam: KiddMarine
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Bellator » Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:35 pm

Logged back in after many years. :P

Only saw this great news today. I am sure many die hard shenmue fans who like me are not really gamers and don't follow E3 will still discover this little gem and contribute appropriately to their favorite game.

Bellator has received 4 thanks from: Miles Prower, mjq jazz bar, NeoShredder, Peter
Bellator
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Henry Spencer » Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:37 pm

Bellator wrote: Logged back in after many years. :P

Only saw this great news today. I am sure many die hard shenmue fans who like me are not really gamers and don't follow E3 will still discover this little gem and contribute appropriately to their favorite game.

Just out of interest, how did you find out about it?
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby edgecrusher01 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:41 pm

I am genuinely astounded by the level of negativity on here. I am very hyped we will finally be getting Shenmue III.
edgecrusher01
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Rikitatsu » Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:42 pm

Wude-Tang Clan wrote:
Rikitatsu wrote:Especially when considering the fact that Suzuki said he needs $10M to make the Shenmue 3 he wants to make, and the one people wanted to have.

I'm not even sure if 10 million is accurate. How much in additional funding is he going to be receiving; 5 million or is it more?

Here's what we know: Yu Suzuki already secured the external funds, from Sony and other sources, but even with those funds, it's not enough to make Shenmue 3, the funding shortfall is the reason why he launched the Kickstarter.

Taking that into account, Suzuki said that he needs $10M from Kickstarter to make the Shenmue 3 he wanted to make, and the one fans have been clamoring for.
Rikitatsu
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby MiTT3NZ » Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:44 pm

edgecrusher01 wrote: I am genuinely astounded by the level of negativity on here. I am very hyped we will finally be getting Shenmue III.

Scouser, eh? Pretty sure we all know how you're going to "get" Shenmue III...
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Erevador » Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:44 pm

edgecrusher01 wrote: I am genuinely astounded by the level of negativity on here. I am very hyped we will finally be getting Shenmue III.

I think everyone here is THRILLED about finally getting Shenmue III, but also aware that we have a very limited window of time to make a difference and get as much funding for Yu as we can.

I'm personally impressed and proud of the level of engagement the fanbase is showing. Aspects of the campaign that may be lacking are being addressed and supplemented by fan efforts.

Honestly, you guys are all an amazing community of people and I am proud to be among you.

Erevador has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Erevador
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby ElephantStone » Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:45 pm

MiTT3NZ wrote:

Scouser, eh? Pretty sure we all know how you're going to "get" Shenmue III...

Last edited by ElephantStone on Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ElephantStone has received a thanks from: MiTT3NZ
ElephantStone
Banned
Banned

Postby Bellator » Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:45 pm

Henry Spencer wrote:
Bellator wrote: Logged back in after many years. :P

Just out of interest, how did you find out about it?

Shenmuedojo is still a webite i occasionally type in my browser from time to time to check for any shenmue news.
Come to think about 14 years doing this crap is really something... guess I love Shenmue that much

Bellator has received a thanks from: Peter
Bellator
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III