Response from Joel "The Red Shirt Guy" Tess & Awesome Japan

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Response from Joel "The Red Shirt Guy" Tess & Awesome Ja

Postby KidMarine » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:57 am

If it's anything like the first Shenmue, the English dub budget will be around $4 so I wouldn't worry too much.
KidMarine
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: KiddMarine
Steam: KiddMarine
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Doom_Infinite » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:33 pm

Joel Tess turned from Grape Fanta drinking lunatic to beloved lord of Grape Fanta.
Doom_Infinite
Master of the Three Blades

Postby shredingskin » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:44 pm

I also agree that voice acting for a game like shenmue is not cheap and I prefer just one dub.

But I don't think it'll be a smart business decision. If it was me I'll probably go with only eng, but I don't think this'll be the case.

shredingskin has received a thanks from: GYO6161
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby BayStone » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:48 pm

While it'd be nice to have both Japanese and English, if it comes down to money, I'd rather have just the Japanese. It fits the context better and overall. I'd assume that our little community isn't against this idea, by and large?
BayStone
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby RiGoRmOrTiS » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:52 pm

as much as I would like Corey Marshall back for VO, if only one dub (Japanese) meant more story, more features, more Shenmue I'd take that over having an English dub. I'd remove all the other languages as well and just make the subtitle files in the game modifiable and let the fan community sort out the translations. That would free up almost half a million for other more important stretch goals.
RiGoRmOrTiS
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby KidMarine » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:53 pm

I imagine a massive percentage of people interested in Shenmue are big weeaboos who would choose Japanese dialogue with English subtitled given the choice.
KidMarine
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: KiddMarine
Steam: KiddMarine

Postby Amir » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:59 pm

RiGoRmOrTiS wrote: as much as I would like Corey Marshall back for VO, if only one dub (Japanese) meant more story, more features, more Shenmue I'd take that over having an English dub. I'd remove all the other languages as well and just make the subtitle files in the game modifiable and let the fan community sort out the translations. That would free up almost half a million for other more important stretch goals.

Just leave the entire English dub to Corey Marshall, including Shenhua and every NPC.

Amir has received 2 thanks from: JaySw34, Supa
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Steam: AmirMoosavi
Currently playing: Vanquish (PC)

Postby punkmanced » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:59 pm

sand4fish wrote: I questioned specifically on whether having both Japanese and English VOs would be detrimental to the budget towards other game elements, such as sacrifice of NPCs and extended dialogues or refinement of certain game mechanics. That's why I personally prefer Shenmue 3 to have only Japanese VO, as Masaya Matsukaze is already attached to the project, but I understand my view is on the minority side.[/color]

Agreed wholeheartedly. I'm not even sure you're in the minority to be honest.
I get the impression that a lot of American shenmue fans dig Corey Marshall for the nostalgia factor (their initial experience, etc.), but the buck stops there.

A lot (most?) of us outside of the US/Canada would welcome JPN vocals arms opened.
punkmanced
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby spinksy » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:05 pm

punkmanced wrote:
sand4fish wrote: I questioned specifically on whether having both Japanese and English VOs would be detrimental to the budget towards other game elements, such as sacrifice of NPCs and extended dialogues or refinement of certain game mechanics. That's why I personally prefer Shenmue 3 to have only Japanese VO, as Masaya Matsukaze is already attached to the project, but I understand my view is on the minority side.[/color]

I get the impression that a lot of American shenmue fans dig Corey Marshall for the nostalgia factor (their initial experience, etc.), but the buck stops there.

A lot (most?) of us outside of the US/Canada would welcome JPN vocals arms opened.

Yep - I'd much rather have all Japanese voive and English subs.

(which as stated will also free more money for development.
spinksy

XBL: spinksy777
Currently playing: Shenmue, skies of Arcadia

Postby Peter » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:09 pm

Jibby wrote: To be fair, at least Awesome Japan are quite good when it comes to responding to user messages.

Horseshit. I emailed them on Kickstarter, after no response, sent them an email to their website, after no response I sent them a tweet to their Twitter account and....... no response.

Peter has received a thanks from: Ziming
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Gen » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:13 pm

punkmanced wrote:

Yeah, alot of europeans will prefer japanese voices since they got used to them in the european version of Shenmue II, me included. The japanese VO was superior IMO. Even though the english dub is nostalgic, the acting is terrible to be honest and I was very happy when I saw that Masaya is returning as Ryo.

Gen has received a thanks from: punkmanced
Gen

Postby YUmakemygame » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:28 pm

sand4fish wrote: I made attempts at contacting the Shenmue 3 Kickstarter team regarding the explanation of stretch goals, new rewards, VO choice and budget, redoing the video campaign, the reason for the choice of multiple playable characters and how to reel in the general gaming community when most never even heard of the first two games.

My plead yielded the following reply:

Hello,

Very sorry for not getting back sooner! Ok, here we go:
Stretch Goals - Thank you! We are working on it! Trying to be more specific with the SGs and will try to get the explanations moved over. Mr. Suzuki does not want to get too deep without giving all the story away!
Mirrors - Trying!
Video - Still very early development, so there is not much game footage yet. As for scene requests... I think we will have to leave that up to Mr. Suzuki. Again can't give away the story!
At the current stage of funding, it is still hard to know how much voicing there will be. There have been lots of comments for language switching and Mr. Suzuki is aware of the situation.
Why multiple characters? Mr. Suzuki has stated this is one of the things that he really wants to do with Shenmue 3. Will definitely let him know though!
Why care about Shenmue 3? Got it. You are very right. Top priority now getting the message across. We will have the page updated soon.
More rewards? Yes working on them now. Thank you for the ideas!

Thank you very much, please keep your ideas coming, because they will keep us going forward.

Joel &
the Shenmue 3 Kickstarter Team

PS. I did not question the integrity of the work done by his team, because I believe it's counter-productive and unnecessary at this point.

I wish I had his energy, he seems like a very happy person. Maybe a bit awkward but that's okay. Public relations is a tough field with a discerning clientele... I'm very surprised to see someone so accommodating in the business. Usually you have to own a Cessna to get a comprehensive response. I wouldn't make too much fun of him; he could probably falcon punch a guy in the kidneys. Maybe.

Peter wrote:
Jibby wrote: To be fair, at least Awesome Japan are quite good when it comes to responding to user messages.

Horseshit. I emailed them on Kickstarter, after no response, sent them an email to their website, after no response I sent them a tweet to their Twitter account and....... no response.

I think there's close to 50,000 people who feel the same way. Most of the questions are pretty redundant so it'll probably be in the updates. But if you're asking about that Victorian velvet and lace codpiece for Ryo at the $11M tier, then by all means carry on.

YUmakemygame has received a thanks from: Reprise
YUmakemygame
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Jibby » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:49 pm

Peter wrote:

Well, I'm sorry you had a bad experience. But in my case, sand4fish's case and many other cases that I've seen, they usually respond quite quickly.
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby myshtuff » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:12 pm

Jibby wrote:
Peter wrote:

Well, I'm sorry you had a bad experience. But in my case, sand4fish's case and many other cases that I've seen, they usually respond quite quickly.

It could depend on what you are asking and what they feel comfortable answering about.
myshtuff
Dojo Dirtbag
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Myshtuff
Steam: spivakar
Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Giorgio » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:16 pm

Peter wrote: When I read that, I pictured him answering them in the exact same style as he presented the Twitch videos...

Giorgio has received a thanks from: Ziming
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: Yakuza series

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III