KS. Update #19: When Shenmue Got its Name

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

KS. Update #19: When Shenmue Got its Name

Postby mjq jazz bar » Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:57 am

Hello Everyone!

Today we introduce Masahiro Yoshimoto, the script writer for Shenmue. He has written scripts and screenplays for film and TV, from dramas, to crime, to suspense, to mystery, to period dramas, and for just about every genre there is.

He talks about how his experience writing for, and playing Shenmue, and reflects on his life now that he will be involved with Shenmue again. And! Yoshimoto-san recounts the day when Yu Suzuki pitches him the title for a story. No spoilers here, but if you are a Shenmue fan, you don't want to miss it!

Please welcome, Masahiro Yoshimoto!

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

That was one for the record books! Thank you so much Yoshimoto-san for helping to bring the Shenmue story to life!

Coming Up...

Suzuki-san has heard the many requests for additional rewards, and they are in the works as we speak. Thank you for all the great ideas everyone!

Plus, there are more behind-the-scenes interviews with the Shenmue project members on the way, so stay tuned!
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: mortimerOA
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

Re: Kickstarter update #19: When Shenmue Got its Name

Postby SheepheadCG » Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:00 am

I'm pretty sure that this is new Shenmue III music? I don't recognise it from any where, but it does sound extremely similar to some of the Shenmue Online BGM. Is it new? :D! Sounds amazing!

EDIT: What a sick video lol I really do like these. Even if the Kickstarter doesn't make 10 millies, at least the game has been crowdfunded, thus we will see videos like these, and videos with updates about the game all the way from now till release :D!
SheepheadCG
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Steam: sheephead100
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Starcraft 2

Postby Technophilz » Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:13 am

As much as I love to hear and learn more about the history of Shenmue, I can't see how this is supposed to push the Kickstarter forward. How will such updates convince new pledgers to back the project ?
Technophilz
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Shenmue IIx

Postby SheepheadCG » Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:26 am

Its not meant to. It's meant to be a bonus for those who have pledged and keep them informed of how the progress is going and if development is on track.

SheepheadCG has received 2 thanks from: mjq jazz bar, Reprise
SheepheadCG
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Steam: sheephead100
Currently playing: Starcraft 2

Postby Technophilz » Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:44 am

SheepheadCG wrote: Its not meant to. It's meant to be a bonus for those who have pledged and keep them informed of how the progress is going and if development is on track.

I think such information should not be posted on Kickstarter, especially after all the mistakes that have been hurting the campaign so far. The official website is a better place for those since they won't help pushing the Kickstarter and there's not much time left.
Usually If someone wants to show "how the progress is going and if the development is on track", they could show some "current" information about the project and not history lessons from the past. I don't think those who've never played or even heard of Shenmue care when or how that game got its name, and Kickstarter updates are supposed to be mainly interested in bringing those on board ....
Last edited by Technophilz on Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Technophilz

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Shenmue IIx

Postby mjq jazz bar » Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:45 am

I for one enjoy these updates. Speak for yourself.

mjq jazz bar has received a thanks from: Reprise
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: mortimerOA
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

Postby myshtuff » Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:57 am

Its definitely an awesome video and I enjoy it as well. Its perfect for kickstarter. However, just not at this time. The kinds of videos they have been posting are the kinds of videos that should be posted once the kickstarter is finished and they need updates every so often to keep interest. These videos are for the long time fans and they are playing hard on the nostalgia factor. Once again, these videos really aren't bringing in any new people.

myshtuff has received a thanks from: Technophilz
myshtuff
Dojo Dirtbag
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Myshtuff
Steam: spivakar
Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby shredingskin » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:44 am

I like the videos.

Hopefully the update won't be a limited tier because I'm going to sleep.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby MiTT3NZ » Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:02 pm

Yeah, gotta say, they do deserve props for the fan service. I just wish they were better at their actual jobs.

Sorry, tried, but I can't say something positive about em without balancing it out with a negative.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Himuro » Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:17 pm

Great video. Ziming, are you going to subtitle the Japanese version?
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Ziming » Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:04 pm

Himuro wrote: Great video. Ziming, are you going to subtitle the Japanese version?

phpBB [video]

Ziming has received 2 thanks from: Himuro, Yokosuka
Ziming
Banned
Banned

Postby Wanderin' » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:14 pm

Mr.Yoshimoto really does a fantastic job in highlighting what must be the most powerful emotion that is driving the Shenmue revival right now for everyone, from himself, Suzuki, his staff, and all the fans: it's incredibly empowering and emotional for someone - anyone, really - to be given the opportunity to become again that younger, more energetic and optimistic version of one's self from 15 years ago for the explicit purpose of directly participating in the continuation of a project that is very dear to you.

After all, 14 years later since Shenmue 2's release, just so much has changed. Consequently, for Shenmue 3 to be announced now, we all can't but help ourselves from taking a small respite from whatever it is that concerns our current selves to become once again, those younger, more energetic and optimistic reflections of ourselves from 14 years ago, when we all dreamed that one day in the future maybe we'd all finally have the capacity to build meaningful and creative works just like - or possibly even grander than - Shenmue.

To be able to relive, and even continue towards fulfilling one's dreams even after those dreams appeared to be completely trampled upon by others for the longest time is suffice to say, not a chance opportunity that occurrs often. For those reasons, hopefully everyone involved - from Suzuki, his staff, and all the fans - take the opportunity to appreciate the very real meaning and beauty in these very moments as some of the best we've yet to be afforded.

Wanderin' has received a thanks from: shengoro86
Wanderin'

Return to Shenmue III