KS Update #21: To the Sea and the Continent Beyond

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: KS Update #21: To the Sea and the Continent Beyond

Postby Jackie Fhan » Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:06 pm

Just need to be able to throw tomatoes at the bad guys with a new theme.
Jackie Fhan
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Jak , Sly Cooper, Many..

Postby James Brown » Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:13 pm

I downloaded all the music Ziming posted over the years, and i'm at like 514 tracks - which includes the music from Shenmue Online aswell, where are the other 300 o0?
James Brown
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

XBL: skilljimmeh
Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Himuro » Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:16 pm

BRING ON THE RAIN!

Also, I want to shake this man's hand! He breathed the life into both games with his extraordinary musicianship!

What about Yuzo Koshiro's Shenmue involvement?
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Hyo Razuki » Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:22 pm

Yes, where are Koshiro and Mitsuyoshi? It's great to have Iuchi on board but it would be even better to have all three of them. Koshiro and Mitsuyoshi are geniuses of their own as well.
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Yokosuka » Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:27 pm

Koshiro's involvement was overrated in Shenmue anyway IMO, although his orchestra arrangement was awesome. Hiring Mitsuyoshi should be the priority if Yu can afford him.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Re: Kickstarter Update #21: To the Sea and the Continent Bey

Postby Miles Prower » Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:36 pm

johnvivant wrote: 800 pieces over both games! i can't thank this man enough for creating so much great music. shenmue without the music would be unthinkable.

Completely agree, haven't stopped listening to the music this whole 14 years, some truly beautiful pieces. As for tomorrow's update...sounds...interesting...
Miles Prower
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

XBL: sppeac1987

Postby Hyo Razuki » Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:45 pm

^Koshiro's arrangement versions were just out of this world. Don't know how much of the other stuff in the games he actually composed. Mitsuyoshi did a lot, as far as I know. Including the Shenmue main theme, Memories of Distant Days, Nozomi and Ryo, Reveive a Skill to Succeed and many other beloved Shenmue songs.

Anyway, as they are both Sega legends, it would be awesome to have either one of them, or better, both of them on board. [-o<

EDIT: Just saw on Video Gamer Radio that even the legendary Bar Linda Theme is Mitsuyoshi-San's work! =D>
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Ziming » Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:10 pm

phpBB [video]

Ziming has received 3 thanks from: Himuro, Hyo Razuki, Technophilz
Ziming
Banned
Banned

Postby Yokosuka » Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:11 pm

No french subtitles this time ? :sad:
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Yokosuka » Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:15 pm

Hyo Razuki wrote:EDIT: Just saw on Video Gamer Radio that even the legendary Bar Linda Theme is Mitsuyoshi-San's work! =D>

Be careful with that, I don't think Video Gamer Radio is a reliable source, especially for the tracks outside the Orchestra album.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Ziming » Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:14 pm

Yokosuka wrote: No french subtitles this time ? :sad:

Forgot to publish it. Check now.

Ziming has received 2 thanks from: Himuro, Yokosuka
Ziming
Banned
Banned

Postby KiBa » Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:46 pm

Excellent update.
KiBa
selfaware
"Keep Friends"

Postby Switch » Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:33 am

Here's a post that Ruji Iuchi put up on his blog yesterday which I've translated. It adds some more background to his experiences with Shenmue I and II. Thanks to Ziming for pointing it out.

Shenmue 3
2015/07/02

After around 15 years, I'm honored to once again get involved with the sound for Shenmue 3.

I'd like to talk about some things I didn't have time to mention in the video clip. (Sorry for the long post).

I feel very honored to be able to participate in this project, and be able work to compose pieces together again with Yu-san and all the other wonderful creators.

The impression that sticks with me most from working on the previous Shenmue games was being able to work together with the wonderful music staff - such as Yuzo Koshiro from Ancient Corp, who I greatly respect and who invited me onto the project, and Takenobu Mitsuyoshi from Sega - and to actually meet face-to-face with them at the company.
I believe that my experiences from that time made the foundation for what I am today.
Being able to have the chance to work together with them again is one of my dreams.

I had a lot of discussions and conversations with the sound staff, headed by the sound leaders Miysuyoshi-san and Takagi-san, and even used to sleep overnight at the company.
I remember the nap room, the kiosk and the nearby park well.
I was also able to observe the other sound people working, and I really learned a lot. The way they edited the voices and sound effects seemed like magic to me...

As I spoke about in my interview, Hayato Matsuo's magnificent orchestral arrangement, Iori's beautiful vocals, the timbre of the Chinese fiddle – these left a strong impression on me. (Iori let me join her on stage, at the piano!)
And this will sound like a fanboy, but I was secretly delighted to be able to watch Toshiyuki Watanabe at work on a recording! ^_^

By the way, with Shenhua's theme, initially I asked one of the sound ladies from another department to gently hum it for me, in a way that's "like it's wrapping around you".
For the preliminary version of Wish, I had a lady from the Shenmue sound team sing it.
And Mitusyoshi-san kindly provided the vocals for the final versions of the Tomato Mart and Bob's Pizzeria songs...!!

I realize how lucky I was to be on the same floor as the sound staff from other departments, and to be able to mix with lots of people who had composed the songs that used to be played at the video arcades I visited as a kid.
(We went out a lot for drinks and to play billiards ^_^).

I'm sure that even with a 2-hour program {video} I wouldn't be able to finish expressing my feeling of gratitude with Shenmue 1 and 2 towards everything and all the people who helped me. But I'm afraid I'm no good at speaking in front of people or a camera... ^_^

I'll put in my every effort, poor as that may be, on the music side to produce pieces that everyone will be pleased with and will be able to enjoy for a long time.

Thank you very much.

P.S. I was in two minds as to whether to state this, but – I'm not the composer of the song from the Kickstarter movie although people have been attributing to me... Credit is to the composer of that song.

Ryuji Iuchi

Switch
News Poster
News Poster

Previous

Return to Shenmue III