$20,000 pledge for the future of our Guilin school.

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: $20,000 pledge for the future of our Guilin school.

Postby Drakul » Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:34 pm

Really outstanding, and you sound like a truly generous, kind person.
I love the idea of your school having a cameo in the game but websites should really pick this story either way.

Drakul has received a thanks from: wdrpgwd
Drakul
Master of the Three Blades

Postby ash55 » Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:36 am

That sounds really amazing.

I do have a concern however, and don't wish to sound disrespectful in voicing it... Since I respect everything you're doing. You are certainly a better human being than I.

Basically, I worry for your wallet. I wonder if you've perhaps put up $10k for something you've assumed, rather than something promised to you. That you see your pledge as an investment rather than a donation. I hope you get your wish of course, but I also hope you accept the possibility that you may not get that wish. Yu Suzuki may be unable to make exceptions with the rewards, or allow you to use the credits for promotional purposes. If you're fine with that then fair enough. But if you're not fine with that, then I would recommend reaching out ASAP to seek confirmation.

It certainly doesn't hurt to ask though, so more power to you of course. In fact, I hope he not only grants your request, but even moves you to a brand new reward tier "Be a villager NPC for $10k". (Hmm... that's if it makes sense for other non-chinese villagers to exist in Shenmue III). That would generate more pledges and also open up a new empty slot on the Chi You Men reward too.

(Btw, what's wrong with being a villain in Shenmue? It's just a bit of fun after all. It doesn't reflect on your character in real life :) )

ash55 has received a thanks from: wdrpgwd
ash55
Asia Travel Representative

PSN: TFMash55
XBL: ash55
Steam: ash55
Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Sonoshee » Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:36 am

Absolutely outstanding! Thank you for everything you do, not just for the Kickstarter but for those wonderful children in Guilin! I have re-tweeted the Dojo's tweet of this and have posted up a front page article!
Last edited by Sonoshee on Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sonoshee has received 2 thanks from: Aimless Gamer, wdrpgwd
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby robatfreedom » Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:39 am

Hey man, I said it before, and I will say it again, this is amazing.
Would really, reallly love to come down and see the school. Possibly next year, duuno, will see.

Either way, I hope you get all the publicity you need. :)

robatfreedom has received a thanks from: wdrpgwd
robatfreedom

Postby Doom_Infinite » Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:17 pm

You are an epic human being sir.

I have a Facebook account but I have only 1 friend (my former professor lol). I'll be sure to like you though.

Doom_Infinite has received a thanks from: wdrpgwd
Doom_Infinite

Postby Yokosuka Martian » Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:16 pm

This is amazing! I'll be sure to write up an article on my SEGA Nerds site and Gamnesia site to get the word out there.

Yokosuka Martian has received 3 thanks from: Aimless Gamer, Mr357, wdrpgwd
Yokosuka Martian
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: MarcinTheMartian
XBL: YokosukaMartian
Currently playing: ..Uhh Shenmue

Postby rome » Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:27 am

Here: http://www.videogamer.com/ps4/shenmue_3/news/chinese_school_for_underprivileged_kids_pledges_20_000_to_shenmue_3_kickstarter.html

I think this will definitely pay off for you guy's and I'll be checking out your FB page after this.

Thanks for the support and I wish you nothing but the best going forward. Hook them up Yu =D>

rome has received a thanks from: wdrpgwd
rome
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Shenmue II

Postby RiGoRmOrTiS » Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:34 am

Inb4 toxic sites like polygon and Kotaku twist this into 'impoverished school wastes important funds on videogame rather than investing in school'

They'll do anything to get clicks, I wouldnt put it past them to twist something amazing. .. The article should specify it's their personal money, not taken out the schools coffers to try and counter this? Don't want to give those sites the opportunity. ...

RiGoRmOrTiS has received 2 thanks from: Miles Prower, wdrpgwd
RiGoRmOrTiS
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby wdrpgwd » Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:17 pm

Thank you everyone for the kind words.

We have received an unimaginable amount of press over this. Most good, some bad. There are some places that seem to think we took food from the mouths of the kids and gave the money instead to the game.

http://n4g.com/news/1754367/chinese-school-for-underprivileged-kids-pledges-20-000-to-shenmue-3-kickstarter

We were made aware of this place a few minutes ago. My brother decided to respond to these people.. This is just one of several places giving us bad press.

All the outside money we receive goes to the kids. All advertising costs come from my brother and I. We have spent plenty of money in advertising over the years but none has ever got us the exposure we have received now. All the advertising we did in the past only got to western parts of China, now we have been getting attention not just in ALL of China, but globally. The best part is the money we spent didn't go to some large marketing corporation but to Shenmue and dinner with Y'S. It was the smartest decision we ever made.

We have been getting ton's of gaming sites in China trying to interview us. We have been on the news in Guilin (5M people). Even Eurogamer.net posted our story on Twitter a few minutes ago.

https://twitter.com/eurogamer

I'm having a hard time with the criticism, frankly. I have only had the intention of helping the school. I wish people would look at this and think about giving of their time and energy to helping others but some people only live to hate and criticize. If people are thinking we are spending our money unwisely, let's hear what they are doing to help the world and what better ways they are spending their money on charity...

wdrpgwd
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby RiGoRmOrTiS » Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:31 pm

that's the problem with games media and quite frankly gamers as a whole, they are all too happy to twist things negatively so they can have a good old whinge and relish the ensuing drama as it unfolds. It only gets worse with sites like Polygon and Kotaku who deliberately play into that toxic side of the community to gain plenty of visits and clicks on their site while hiding their cynicism, negativity and lack of fact checking behind pseudo intellectualism.. writers at places like these sites actually think they are intelligent and professional when really they are just wannabe journalists.

Like I said in my previous post, I predicted people would do this and they did, if that doesn't prove the level of toxicity throughout the industry I don't know what does. In the past people would have written inspirational pieces about this kinda thing... not anymore.
RiGoRmOrTiS
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby ash55 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:39 pm

wdrpgwd wrote:We have received an unimaginable amount of press over this.

That's great to hear. Like I said, I worried that $20k is a lot of money to spend on a chance of publicity rather than a guarantee. But I'm relieved it has already payed off for you. =D>
ash55

PSN: TFMash55
XBL: ash55
Steam: ash55

Postby johnvivant » Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:44 pm

judging by the thanks and approval that your post has acquired, it seems pretty clear that the shenmue community is behind you in this endeavor. However until you speak with Yu Suzuki directly its difficult to know the shape of the future and how all this will turn out. My personal opinion is that this is a great opportunity for both Shenmue and the school, a match made in heaven as it were, almost an opportunity too good to be true! Maybe the publicity was a bit premature, given that Suzuki has not approved of anything yet, but i wouldn't be surprised if you heard from him very soon. (since Cedric just tweeted the eurogamer article, and he seemed to like it!).

i'm sure the community can help greatly in countering some of the negative spin.
good luck! and thank you!
Last edited by johnvivant on Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby sand4fish » Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:52 pm

wdrpgwd wrote: I'm having a hard time with the criticism, frankly. I have only had the intention of helping the school. I wish people would look at this and think about giving of their time and energy to helping others but some people only live to hate and criticize. If people are thinking we are spending our money unwisely, let's hear what they are doing to help the world and what better ways they are spending their money on charity...

You can add one more positive exposure under your belt from Cinema Blend.
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby wdrpgwd » Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:01 pm

johnvivant wrote: judging by the thanks and approval that your post has acquired, it seems pretty clear that the shenmue community is behind you in this endeavor. However until you speak with Yu Suzuki directly its difficult to know the shape of the future and how all this will all turn out. My personal opinion is that this is a great opportunity for both Shenmue and the school, a match made in heaven as it were, almost an opportunity too good to be true! Maybe the publicity was a bit premature, given than Suzuki has not approved of anything yet, but i wouldn't be surprised if you heard from him very soon. (since Cedric just tweeted the eurogamer article).

i'm sure the community can help greatly in countering some of the negative spin.
good luck! and thank you!

I wish I would have avoided listing my requests. They were no more than day dreams. It really doesn't matter if Yu does anything for us or not. I don't want him to feel we are forcing this on him. We wanted to get people interested in the school and get more people involved in being teachers. Donations aren't even that important at the moment. We have local organizations that donate some and the attention we have been getting will encourage them to donate more.

Some people have accused us of doing this for fame yet no one even knows our real names. My brother has posted in a few places on Facebook so some people know him now but I have remained anonymous. I like it that way. :D

wdrpgwd has received 3 thanks from: Aimless Gamer, Axm, johnvivant
wdrpgwd
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby RiGoRmOrTiS » Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:10 pm

wdrpgwd wrote:Some people have accused us of doing this for fame yet no one even knows our real names

a lot of shitty people out there, they are just jealous they don't have the resolve or the self worth it takes to do the amazing things you have dedicated yourselves too.. try not to let them bother you, they are inferior in every possible way.

RiGoRmOrTiS has received 3 thanks from: Aimless Gamer, FlagshipFighter, wdrpgwd
RiGoRmOrTiS
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III