Kickstarter:Final value and overall success assessment

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Kickstarter:Final value and overall success assessment

Postby RiGoRmOrTiS » Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:34 pm

Yokosuka wrote:
50 000 backers from 2 million potential old players including curious newcomers.

2.5% is very weak.

64,867 backers for a new Castlevania (essentially) on the bloodstained kick starter and doesn't take a genius to know there are probably millions who want one and will buy it at release.

The majority of the public do not pledge on kick starters. its that simple. If someone gets 50,000+ backers on a KS its a very good indicator it will do very well at release, reviews allowing.

ShenmueForeseen wrote: Hate to break it to you all but even 6 million won't be purely development funds, remember if you pledge you probably pledged enough for items such as a copy of the game, which means your pledge is mostly to fund manufacture of your game copy etc.

Thanks for "breaking" it too me, hope my heart can cope. There is so much wrong with that statement, if you even spent more than 5 minutes to look at the kick starter page it has a breakdown of where the KS money goes. 65-72% of it goes towards development, so your pledge is "mostly" going towards development.
Last edited by RiGoRmOrTiS on Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.
RiGoRmOrTiS
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Reprise » Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:35 pm

RiGoRmOrTiS wrote:
Yokosuka wrote:
50 000 backers from 2 million potential old players including curious newcomers.

2.5% is very weak.

64,867 backers for a new Castlevania (essentially) on the bloodstained kickstarter and doesn't take a genius to know there are probably millions who want one and will buy it at release.

The majority of the public do not pledge on kick starters. its that simple. If someone gets 50,000+ backers on a KS its a very good indicator it will very well at release, reviews allowing.

Word. I think some people's expectations are too high.
Reprise
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Yokosuka » Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:38 pm

Bloodstained did not have E3 world exposure.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby RiGoRmOrTiS » Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:40 pm

Yokosuka wrote: Bloodstained did not have E3 world exposure.

viewership on the E3 press conference across multiple streams was sub 1 million concurrent viewers.. try again...
RiGoRmOrTiS
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Yokosuka » Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:41 pm

Exposure is not conference. This includes medias, newspapers, hype, social networks etc.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby RiGoRmOrTiS » Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:43 pm

Yokosuka wrote: Exposure is not conference. This includes medias, newspapers, hype, social networks etc.

in which case Bloodstained had more coverage, since their KS's campaign was ran correctly. not entirely sure what point your trying to make when Shenmue isn't far off backers wise... if 50,000 + isn't enough, neither is 64,867.. which we know.. is enough, since millions would gobble up a new Castlevania.
Last edited by RiGoRmOrTiS on Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

RiGoRmOrTiS has received a thanks from: mjq jazz bar
RiGoRmOrTiS
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby mjq jazz bar » Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:44 pm

Everywhere I look, someone is desperate to see the negative in Shenmue 3. It's kind of depressing, but I'm used to it.

mjq jazz bar has received 2 thanks from: Reprise, RiGoRmOrTiS
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: mortimerOA
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

Postby Reprise » Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:46 pm

The E3 exposure led to a high level of early success, but also led to the campaign reaching a saturation point (or peak) much earlier too.

Overall, it's kind of irrelevant. Bloodstained reached its audience through the wonders of the internet, the same way any campaign would do so. Just because Shenmue 3 was announced at E3, does not mean it's going to outstrip every campaign ever, by millions and millions.
Reprise
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby RiGoRmOrTiS » Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:48 pm

Reprise wrote: The E3 exposure led to a high level of early success, but also led to the campaign reaching a saturation point (or peak) much earlier too.

Overall, it's kind of irrelevant. Bloodstained reached its audience through the wonders of the internet, the same way any campaign would do so. Just because Shenmue 3 was announced at E3, does not mean it's going to outstrip every campaign ever, by millions and millions.

of course, I honestly don't think we will beat bloodstained, but it'll be a close call..

however, people quoting the number of backers on a KS as a means to predict actual sales at release is also folly. since the majority of people don't pledge on kick starters.
RiGoRmOrTiS
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Yokosuka » Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:49 pm

RiGoRmOrTiS wrote:in which case Bloodstained had more coverage

Their coverage was better but never more important. Talk to a random guy, he has more chance to have heard of Shenmue kickstarter rather Bloodstained. I don't know what you are trying to prove but loving Shenmue does not mean all things are wonderful or that I'm negative with purpose.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Dragon St. » Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:20 pm

I'm sure many people have heard of the Shenmue kickstarter, but how many have actually played Shenmue?

I know I wouldn't back a game that has such a strong emphasis on the story, missing the first two installments and being unable to play them for a reasonable price. Just as I wouldn't read a book starting at chapter 7 or a movie 45 minutes in.

I also think it must be quite a hassle for Japanese fans to navigate through a non-Japanese website in order to donate. I may be wrong, but I have a strong feeling that for most it's just too hard. So basically 50,000 fans showing up from mainly Europe/USA after all these years is amazing.

I'm surprised how well the KS is doing considering all of this and the amateurish work AJ is delivering.

Dragon St. has received 2 thanks from: mjq jazz bar, RiGoRmOrTiS
Dragon St.
Master of the Three Blades

Postby ConanTheKing » Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:28 pm

I personally want it to hit $7 million, that would be great as it means the combat system gets modernised and is "next gen". I am skeptical about a huge spike towards the end, as far as I know, not every kickstarter goes through a huge one at the end but generally there is some increased activity.
ConanTheKing

PSN: ConanTheLeader
Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Monkei » Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:35 pm

I'm guessing it's going to end up somewhere around the 5.5 million mark. Might actually beat Bloodstained, which would make for some good headlines. Might even reach 6 million and the advanced battle system stretch goal. Keeping my fingers crossed. I'm still so happy about this. :)

Monkei has received a thanks from: Reprise
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby killthesagabeforeitkillsu » Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:43 pm

One has to be delusional to think Shenmue III KS results are somehow "disappointing".

Its a 14 years old abandoned niche IP, making his way to be the most funded KS game ever versus giants like Castlevania and Megaman.

killthesagabeforeitkillsu
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Monkei » Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:52 pm

killthesagabeforeitkillsu wrote: One has to be delusional to think Shenmue III KS results are somehow "disappointing".

Its a 14 years old abandoned niche IP, making his way to be the most funded KS game ever versus giants like Castlevania and Megaman.

I agree. The Shenmue III kickstarter is a huge success and I'm really happy it turned out this way. 2 million was the minimum amount to get us a quality Shenmue game. At 5 million Yu said he'll be able to do something special with it. People need to stop being pessimistic and greedy. This is much more than we ever thought was possible. And it's actually happening. :)

Monkei has received a thanks from: Reprise
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III