Kickstarter:Final value and overall success assessment

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Kickstarter:Final value and overall success assessment

Postby Bellator » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:17 am

What do you think the final number of the kickstarter is going to be and at what value do you consider it a total success?

I think it's going to make 5.5 million $ considering the last bumps during the last final days.
Personally I would consider it a big success if we could surpass bloodstained as the most funded game ever on kickstarter.

What about you?
Bellator
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Re: Kickstarter:Final value and overall success assessment

Postby Otacon_ahs » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:20 am

I would be somewhat disappointed if it doesn't reach 6+ million, because Bloodstained got 5.5, and Shenmue 3 was announced at E3... As a fan, Shenmue 3 is a success, no matter what, but for marketing is really bad i think.
Last edited by Otacon_ahs on Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Otacon_ahs
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue I

Postby joka » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:20 am

I remember this being a topic when it was first announced and I was fully on board the hype train and said something like 9m or 10m!

I don't think that's happening anymore but the resurgence after the ps4 announcement at least leaves me optimistic it'll hit 6m which would be a fantastic result all things considered!
joka
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: C_U_NexTime
Currently playing: Phantom Pain

Postby Jackie Fhan » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:21 am

Depends on what they add, So I can't say. If they had added ps4 physical I think we are actually closer to 6 million..

that should be the majority but I seems a lot of people didn't go back to change their pledge.

If they can get in twice as many or three times heavy hitters 1000 to 10,000 that people really want. it could do well

it's their only chance anyways. they won't do it at this point without big pledges
Jackie Fhan
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Jak , Sly Cooper, Many..

Postby ShenRy092 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:49 am

I think even at max 10 mil or even a bit more won't be enough for Mr. Suzuki to do what he want with Shenmue. I think if possible with an ultra amount, Mr. Suzuki want to make the entire China in game experience.
ShenRy092
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby EverybodyLovesRen » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:58 am

I have no question in my mind that we will surpass bloodstained. By how much is the question. At this point I think 6mil is a reasonable estimate. Again, it really depends on how ridiculous our final push is.
EverybodyLovesRen
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Amir » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:00 am

ShenRy092 wrote: I think even at max 10 mil or even a bit more won't be enough for Mr. Suzuki to do what he want with Shenmue. I think if possible with an ultra amount, Mr. Suzuki want to make the entire China in game experience.

And we wouldn't get the game until 2027 then :P
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Steam: AmirMoosavi
Currently playing: Vanquish (PC)

Postby rome » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:15 am

joka wrote: I remember this being a topic when it was first announced and I was fully on board the hype train and said something like 9m or 10m!

I don't think that's happening anymore but the resurgence after the ps4 announcement at least leaves me optimistic it'll hit 6m which would be a fantastic result all things considered!

This is right around where I'm at. The last topic on this I had said just over 5, but if the last couple of days go as we hope, 6 seems very reasonable.

Shenmue's notoriety is increasing by the day. Word is spreading.
rome
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Shenmue II

Postby Axm » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:20 am

Somewhere between 5-6 million seems realistic. Hope for 6 million as we get expanded combat with that.

Axm has received a thanks from: johnvivant
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Shenhua-Nani? » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:24 am

Even if the KS finished right now it would already be an undeniable amazing success.

Guys, let's face the facts here. This is Shenmue 3 we are talking about, 20 days ago 99% of gamers didnt even know the hell it was, the prequels are only available on fucking Xbox and Dreamcast and they came out FIFTEEN years ago.

It was already an incredible success that it got announced as a KS campaign, everything thats been happening since then trespasses in the realm of dreams.

Shenhua-Nani? has received 4 thanks from: Amir, Axm, Fei Fong Wong, nskachu
Shenhua-Nani?
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Jackie Fhan » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:36 am

Shenhua-Nani? wrote: Even if the KS finished right now it would already be an undeniable amazing success.

Guys, let's face the facts here. This is Shenmue 3 we are talking about, 20 days ago 99% of gamers didnt even know the hell it was, the prequels are only available on fucking Xbox and Dreamcast and they came out FIFTEEN years ago.

It was already an incredible success that it got announced as a KS campaign, everything thats been happening since then trespasses in the realm of dreams.

I don't think the game would even be that good on an actual 4 million. Mighty no. 9 looks quite eh and it's budget is around that.

I know their actual budget is probably higher than that through other resources though (which is a good thing)

I just hope we can keep going higher.
Jackie Fhan
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Anonymous81 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:52 am

I believe we will hit 5.1 million before the final surge in donations if there is at least one more major announcement of some kind that draws in a lot of people still on the fence, and possibly 6 or even 7 million (very optimistically) by the very end.

While I like to believe in miracles and say we WILL hit ten million, it seems doubtful at this point. It's going to fall to PayPal and other means of raising the additional 3 - 4 million, and unless we do, I think we can expect a long, content-rich, hyper detailed game, but one set in a world of a much smaller scale than some imagine or hope for (this based on Yu's recent Twitter responses.)

That said, I DO believe we WILL make up the shortfall, and then some, after the Kickstarter ends. We just need to get organized and aggressively focused on promoting said post-KS efforts imho. Somehow. In some form.

As for the overall success of the campaign: in terms of a pure Kickstarter, MASSIVE success even if it ends tomorrow. Second highest funded game ever. And I still think we'll beat Bloodstained actually. But in terms of TOTAL success? It's frustrating that so many missteps and PR bungles (and press distortions) arguably limited the total potential funding of the campaign, and I'd be lying if I said I'm not concerned about the next step after the KS ends.

Someone point me to the next rallying point and I will support it with every fiber of my being.
Anonymous81
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Witcher 3

Postby Jackie Fhan » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:07 am

Maybe they have a few more surprises in store (still have a lot of time for it) but it needs to be done sooner and not later
Jackie Fhan
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Wude-Tang Clan » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:22 am

I wonder how frigging stupid SEGA feels right about now. Had they spearheaded the Kickstarter themselves along with Suzuki-san, the campaign would have probably already surpassed 8 million if Wii U and XBOX One were added along with PS4 and PC.

6 million is probably as high of a benchmark as can be expected, though, after the first two days, I was hoping it'd be like 15 million or something crazy lol.

Can't overstate enough how important Paypal and continuing donations will be after the campaign ends. I know it's been said before, but Star Citizen raised something like 6 million during their Kickstarter, but ultimately raised over 50 million.
Have to remember that the campaign is only 30 days, we could do much better if YS Net continues to add incentives for donations, post-Kickstarter.
Wude-Tang Clan

Postby Jackie Fhan » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:29 am

Wude-Tang Clan wrote: I wonder how frigging stupid SEGA feels right about now. Had they spearheaded the Kickstarter themselves along with Suzuki-san, the campaign would have probably already surpassed 8 million if Wii U and XBOX One were added along with PS4 and PC.

6 million is probably as high of a benchmark as can be expected, though, after the first two days, I was hoping it'd be like 15 million or something crazy lol.

Can't overstate enough how important Paypal and continuing donations will be after the campaign ends. I know it's been said before, but Star Citizen raised something like 6 million during their Kickstarter, but ultimately raised over 50 million.
Have to remember that the campaign is only 30 days, we could do much better if YS Net continues to add incentives for donations, post-Kickstarter.

Wii U is a dying system or in a lot o places dead. No way most of those wii u owners would buy into Shenmue in 2017
Jackie Fhan
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Next

Return to Shenmue III