Xbox One "out of the question"

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Xbox One "out of the question"

Postby Kobe » Sat Jul 11, 2015 5:46 am

Well. Right now it's been confirmed that only PS4 and PC versions are in the works with Xbox One and Wii U versions undecided, meaning that they're pretty much done and dusted. Im hoping there's a big enough fan base on Xbox that wants to see this game come to Xbox One else it won't get enough attention on Yu's part. I honestly dont think it will happen but I'm not gonna remain optimistic because they havent ruled it out yet and never will. You do the logic here. Sony have made a deal, whatever that deal is, is putting Shenmue 3 on Kickstarter to get the game funded. There is exclusitivity invloved on the PS4 console since there needs to be support by something big, so here's to Sony. Why we are getting a PC version is because the "indie team" YS NET and Shibuya are going to use UE4 and so PC seems a somewhat viable option to complete development using our funds yet people continue to think Xbox One is becoming an option. Just no, I doubt with fire that a stretch goal/reward tier for this will even see the face of the earth. This is a of course a hugely sad part on gamers including us, the fans but Playstation are getting the big guns as it may seem from the months passed by. Yes, this is controversial but Xbox One is like complete trash in Japan, another leading factor as to why we wont see this version. Heck, we want it because Xbox is big in other parts of the world. Yu clearly doesn't give a shit about Xbox and this issue because of their lack of support and Japanese marketing. PlayStation and PC versions are the only things existant and always will be.

Is there anybody even desperately hoping for this game on Xbox because it is just NOT going to happen.
Kobe
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Re: Xbox One "out of the question"

Postby NeoShredder » Sat Jul 11, 2015 5:53 am

Well 2bf you say all this about Yu's intentions, but remember Shenmue II got a release on the original Xbox. It's not some Anglophobia, it's all about who brought the support, which was Sony. Which Microsoft didn't, this time round.

Also, about using 'our' funds- porting it to extra consoles costs money.

Even so, it's coming out on PC as well; not every PS4 game even comes out on PC either- why can't you play it on that? I don't even have a PS4 or a decent PC yet, but in two years time I plan to. I mean, PS4 prices will inenitably drop by then.
NeoShredder
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

PSN: NeoShredder5
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Reprise » Sat Jul 11, 2015 5:55 am

I wouldn't rule Xbox One out of the question. A lot of stuff will happen between now and 2017. The chances are it could see an Xbox One port after the game is released on PS4.

Exclusivity has never been mentioned.

As a PS4 owner, I don't really give a shit, but it would have been cool if an Xbox One version got announced and all the Xbox owners jumped on board, giving us more funding.
Reprise
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby NeoShredder » Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:03 am

Reprise wrote: Exclusivity has never been mentioned.

Watch the announcement and the other vids again. He leads in Shenmue III with (paraphrasing) 'We are glad to have seen these great projects through Kickstarter that we have supported'. It's obvious.

Its my personal opinion that, for all of Sony's help with this, they should be entitled to console exclusivity. I don't have a problem with that. They've sold me. Didn't see Microsoft announce the game did we?

Can we forgive Sony for burying the Dreamcast now?
NeoShredder
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

PSN: NeoShredder5

Postby RiGoRmOrTiS » Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:04 am

its just simple business, Sony are saving YSNet a whole boat of money by paying for Advertising, Porting and Production, Production probably means they probably gave them money for Office space and Equipment (since they are not funding development directly).

its only Logical for them to ask for console exclusivity for all that cash. Why would they allow them to break from that agreement when this may bring them console sales.....

the best xbox owners can hope is it's a timed exclusive, but even if it was timed I'm sure the agreement would be not allow YS Net to announce that...

but honestly come on, it comes out in 2 1/2 years, just get a PS4 at some point before release... its like £9 a month if the console never drops in price, which across 2 1/2 years it will.. of course.
RiGoRmOrTiS
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Reprise » Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:08 am

NeoShredder wrote:
Reprise wrote: Exclusivity has never been mentioned.

Watch the announcement and the other vids again. He leads in Shenmue III with (paraphrasing) 'We are glad to have seen these great projects through Kickstarter that we have supported'. It's obvious.

Its my personal opinion that, for all of Sony's help with this, they should be entitled to console exclusivity. I don't have a problem with that. They've sold me. Didn't see Microsoft announce the game did we?

Can we forgive Sony for burying the Dreamcast now?

Could still be a timed exclusive. Never say never, that's all I'm saying. Mass Effect 1 was an Xbox 360 exclusive once upon a time and that was actually published by Microsoft.

I know full well it's implied that it's a Sony exclusive and that they are supporting Yu with marketing and porting the PS4 version. I'm just saying you can't ever rule out other versions later down the line.
Reprise
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby joka » Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:21 am

It's a fair assumption that Sony do have console exclusivity or timed exclusivity however it is still just that- an assumption. No one has explicitly stated as Reprise mentioned.

It's not a ps4 exclusive as it's coming out on PC anyway.

Although there's been clarifications on how Sony is involved the actual agreement hasn't and will not be fully disclosed.

We will probably get a much clearer idea after the campaign closes though.
joka
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: C_U_NexTime
Currently playing: Phantom Pain

Postby johnvivant » Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:32 am

overall i just want the best deal that will give Yu the greatest funding for shenmue 3, whether that be exclusivity or multi platform.

personally i would like to have an xbox one version but if Suzuki gets a better deal from sony then i would implore him to take it.
i'm sure we all want whats best for shenmue.

there is definitely demand from xbox fans to have shenmue 3 on their system.
on the xbox feedback site, shenmue 3 is in the top 10 of highest requested ideas;
https://xbox.uservoice.com/forums/25164 ... o-xbox-one

there is also a significant twitter movement;
https://twitter.com/shenmueforxbox
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby RiGoRmOrTiS » Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:48 am

i would be willing to bet the money Sony are putting up to cover advertising, porting to PS4 and production far exceeds anything they would make via kickstarter by putting up xbox one tiers..
RiGoRmOrTiS
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Ryo Fhan » Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:54 am

For the little bit of money it would generate. I don't think it's a benefit.

and agree with the above
Ryo Fhan
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby PILMAN » Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:37 am

Iii bought shenmue 2 when it was announced in the U.S. For Xbox , I recall seeing a small preview about it but I remember in the official Xbox magazine that originally the intent was that shenmue would be canceled on dreamcast in U.S. And exclusive to Xbox, the idea is that it would have improvements and marketed in the U.S.. There was practically no marketing at all in oxm magazine, in fact reviews on the official Xbox magazine actually mocked the game and gave it pretty poor reviews, if you recall there was a section saying voice acting sounded like a "bored cheerleader and some jock In a sound recording studio for the repeat voices". The game was given a very mediocre review and for a long time was insulted and looked down on by others who weren't familiar with the game. I feel had Microsoft actually promoted the game originally that maybe it would have had a wider fan base who would appreciate the game at the time.

For me, I prefer not to see it on Xbox, I feel that being exclusive on ps4 and PC will help boost the sales and also not limit what shenmue is capable of. Sorry but way too familiar with the politics back in the day and I don't think a lot of people on the Xbox were able to experience or appreciate the game especially some of the biased editors who wouldn't even give the game the day of light but to mock it, even tech TV or G4 at that time was making fun of the game on tv which were heavily responsible for not giving shenmue a chance and clearly biased towards the Xbox.
PILMAN
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby RiGoRmOrTiS » Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:40 am

PILMAN wrote: Iii bought shenmue 2 when it was announced in the U.S. For Xbox , I recall seeing a small preview about it but I remember in the official Xbox magazine that originally the intent was that shenmue would be canceled on dreamcast in U.S. And exclusive to Xbox, the idea is that it would have improvements and marketed in the U.S.. There was practically no marketing at all in oxm magazine, in fact reviews on the official Xbox magazine actually mocked the game and gave it pretty poor reviews, if you recall there was a section saying voice acting sounded like a "bored cheerleader and some jock In a sound recording studio for the repeat voices". The game was given a very mediocre review and for a long time was insulted and looked down on by others who weren't familiar with the game. I feel had Microsoft actually promoted the game originally that maybe it would have had a wider fan base who would appreciate the game at the time.

For me, I prefer not to see it on Xbox, I feel that being exclusive on ps4 and PC will help boost the sales and also not limit what shenmue is capable of. Sorry but way too familiar with the politics back in the day and I don't think a lot of people on the Xbox were able to experience or appreciate the game especially some of the biased editors who wouldn't even give the game the day of light but to mock it, even tech TV or G4 at that time was making fun of the game on tv which were heavily responsible for not giving shenmue a chance and clearly biased towards the Xbox.

to be fair you make a few good points there, the Sony consoles have always been seen as the main go to console for Japanese RPGs, so it may have a more receptive audience rather than the COD BRO demographic that Xbox attracts more of..
RiGoRmOrTiS
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby MiTT3NZ » Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:06 am

Porting really wouldn't take that long at all. Unreal deploys to various platforms. All they really need to do is change UI elements, such as button graphics and changing trophy pop-ups to achievement pop-ups. Yes, there is other work involved, but it wouldn't cost much and wouldn't take too long.

In the modern day, porting really isn't an issue for new games. This isn't the 90s when the game literally has to be re-written or translated, it's just portions. For example the "Invite to Online Game" function on the 360's dashboard would just feature a different, albeit similar call to the PlayStation equivalent. So, it really isn't that much effort. One guy could easily handle it himself.

As for it just flat-out not appearing on Xbox One or Wii-U, don't rule it out, because - at the end of the day - YSNet haven't. If Sony had bought exclusivity rights, it would've been a straight-up "no". At this moment, Sony will at most have timed exclusivity rights, which I reckon is best all round. Make a profit on the PC/PS4 versions, and after six months or so (if it makes sense), bring it to the Xbox One, and then the Wii-U/NX if Nintendo still exist at that point.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby shredingskin » Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:10 am

To be honest I'm too old for caring about console wars.

Hopefully whatever Shenmue III does is the best for the franchise, self publishing could be something great for YSnet if the game sells well.

Also hindsight is 20/20.

shredingskin has received a thanks from: MiTT3NZ
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby punkmanced » Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:37 pm

shredingskin wrote: To be honest I'm too old for caring about console wars.

Hopefully whatever Shenmue III does is the best for the franchise, self publishing could be something great for YSnet if the game sells well.

Also hindsight is 20/20.

Haha!
I feel the same way; at this point, most longtime fans are at least in their mid-20's/early 30's...who gives a f**k where the game lands? We'll buy whatever console is required...happily.
punkmanced
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Next

Return to Shenmue III