[Video] Yu Suzuki SM3 Interview on Niconico Live [English]

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: [Video] Yu Suzuki SM3 Interview on Niconico Live [Englis

Postby TwiceFriedRice » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:43 pm

The spoiler really isn't that major for those curious but afraid to look. It won't ruin anything for you, unless you're trying to completely black out.
TwiceFriedRice
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Nintendo FC: Skillgore31
Steam: SkillgoreK

Postby Yokosuka » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:46 pm

TwiceFriedRice wrote: The spoiler really isn't that major for those curious but afraid to look. It won't ruin anything for you, unless you're trying to completely black out.

I don't know what it is but yeah, I expect to see that "thing" in the official marketing anyway, like the old times with Dreamcast magazines.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby The_Intruder » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:56 pm

I watched the whole video didn't find the spoilers to be giving too much away just like TwiceFriedRice said.
The_Intruder
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Jann-Lee1999
Currently playing: Zelda:Breath of the wild

Postby Switch » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:54 am

OK, I've formatted up all the English subtitles from the video into Q&A style.

It's pretty long though - about 13 screens of text.

What's a good way to post up something this big? (Of course, it will have spoiler tags around the plot-related spoiler).
Switch
News Poster
News Poster

Postby 7heavens » Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:25 am

Cheers switch many ranks
7heavens
Master of the Three Blades

Postby johnvivant » Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:40 am

there was a returning character spoiler a little later in the video (when they answer fan questions), but i think someone revealed it in another thread so maybe its general knowledge now?

The_Intruder wrote: Who is the guy Yu Suzuki talks about that moved to Japan after playing Shenmue and met a girl named Nozomi and marry her?

when he talked about the person who learned japanese from playing i think he was referring to Ryan Payton, who said this in his first interview. that seemed to flow directly into talking about the person moving to japan and marrying nozomi, so maybe thats Ryan too.

he said the train scene chapter were cut but i wonder if the project berkley scene of ryo hanging from the side of train is part of these of whether that occurs even later.

i wonder whether Suzuki will release the full scenario novelization after the shenmue saga is complete. it will be interesting to read about what the original order of events were, and what was eventually cut.
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby 7heavens » Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:35 pm

Awaiting the written transcript. Definately Good for reference.
7heavens

Postby Switch » Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:17 am

The full transcript, taken from the subtitles of the video, is now available as a document for reading.

Sample snippet:
J: I'd like to move on to your latest game that has been announced: Shenmue III.
YS: Sure.
J: Could you tell us about what led to it being revived - What was behind this decision, in terms of reasons and timing?
YS: Well... it has been about 14 years since Shenmue II and during this period I have had the chance to speak overseas fairly regularly. And pretty much every time I went, I would get asked questions such as when Shenmue III would be released. In fact about 80% of the questions I get asked relate to Shenmue; about 10% on the Virtua series; and the rest are about my other games. So the majority is overwhelmingly about Shenmue.
J: Oh, even more than the Virtua series.
YS: That's right. So, a lot of questions have focused on Shenmue and for the past 10 years, each year around March/April, rumors reach me that Shenmue III is going to be released. Whenever I used to hear that, I would say to myself "I wonder who's going to be releasing it" [laughing]

...(cont)

Spoiler protection: the main spoilers in the document have been made invisible with white-colored text, but can be revealed using copy/paste.

View full transcript: Niconico Interview Full transcript (pdf)

Switch has received 5 thanks from: 7heavens, Giorgio, James Brown, manuel tripero, Yokosuka
Switch
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Switch » Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:37 am

Update: captions now added for the first 13 minutes to the video and transcript. This new part covers a brief history of Yu Suzuki's early games before Shenmue. Please check it out if you are interested.

Disclaimer: the section of the interview from 39:00~40:20 contains plot spoilers.

phpBB [video]

Switch has received 7 thanks from: Giorgio, johnvivant, joka, Rakim, Technophilz, Wude-Tang Clan, Ziming
Switch
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Rakim » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:08 am

You are a true 努力家 Switch. Keep up the great work!

Rakim has received 2 thanks from: Switch, Yokosuka
Rakim
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Switch » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:45 am

One small part of the video had been bothering me, specifically at the point when Yu reveals a small plot spoiler.

There's actually more than one way that a certain word could be translated. And after thinking about it, there's an alternative translation that seems appropriate. Details as follows.

*** Only show this if you want to reveal a plot spoiler!
Old: Shenhua's parents have been abducted by the Chiyoumen
New: Shenhua's father has been abducted by the Chiyoumen

The Japanese word Yu says ( 親) can mean any one of parent/parents/father/mother, but I think "father" is probably the right choice here, given that her step-father went missing from the quarry at the end of Shenmue II. It seems more likely to be referring to him than to her birth parents.

Switch has received 2 thanks from: Giorgio, Technophilz
Switch
News Poster
News Poster

Postby joka » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:01 pm

I agree with your comment in the spoilers Switch.

Don't want to say too much but it makes a lot more sense and ties in with some existing theories.
joka
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: C_U_NexTime
Currently playing: Phantom Pain

Previous

Return to Shenmue III