$10 mill was never going to happen

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: $10 mill was never going to happen

Postby Kenny » Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:34 am

It would've been the kiss of death if they capped their goal at 10 million from the start. 5 would've seriously been pushing it.

That runs the risk of not getting funded at all, a good chuck of revenue lost from the fanbase as the cards would not be charged, and then they'd have to either give up or tuck their tail between their legs and restart it with a lower goal. Massively embarrassing.

A more organized KS, clear and concise goals, and the physical copy all from the start would've helped somewhat but it would've never elevated it anywhere near the 10 million mark. Not even mega popular star studded projects reach that much.

Hell, even Star Citizen capped at 2.1 million, with additional crowdfunding from their site making it over $6 million initially. Only reason it reached the 85 million mark was because of on-going funding.

Seriously if that doesn't convince any of you, I don't know what will.

Kenny has received a thanks from: Tomato Convenience Store
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Chaos » Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:23 am

Kobe wrote: it could have happened if IGN didn't create that initial backlash over Sony involvement.

It could have happened if Sega would have announced a HD collection in time.

It could have happened if the entire fanbase would have helped. there were pettions with near 500 000 people during the years. We now have 10% of does people backing this. Where is everyone else? Are they waiting for the end of the campaign? Are they on that self entitled camp that doesn't support the KS because they feel entitled to ask Sony to fund this even though it'snot their game, even though it was always presented as a financial risk?

Are they the ones saying that they feel betrayed for having to pay for the production of the game (even though you get the game and other stuff from your pledges) when they kept the game alive all this years (and now that they can help save it they are not backing it cause they have to pay)?

I think if there was not such a division we would be near the 10 million mark already, but there is a lot of people that want the game, but expect Sony to take the risk or others for them and are not able to spare 29$ to help. :/ When this campaign started I was so happy to see so much people with the same pation i did for Shenmue but at the same time so sad to see how self entitled some gamers are and how they say they love the franchise, how long they waited for the game but they won't pay 29$ to help it be saved and help us make the game as good as it can be.

And I bet does will be the same people that will
complain in the end if the game isn't
bigger and better then Shenmue 2.

or they could just be like me, and having a shit time in life at the moment and can't afford to pledge
Chaos
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Shenmue II, AC:NL

Postby Phong » Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:30 am

$10 mil is not that big of a deal. We're talking about a few extra mini-games, gambling stalls, and part-time jobs, along with a few extra drawers you can open with shirt textures inside them. $10 mil includes extra money for Yu Suzuki to experiment with. It's not necessary to make a Shenmue III worthy of the name. It already will be.

Furthermore, on-going funding a la Star Citizen makes little sense for Shenmue III. Star Citizen is an "ongoing game," a game that can be given new missions and new ships as time goes on. Shenmue III is not like that. Shenmue III needs a deadline and it needs to be finished. On-going funding could potentially hurt Shenmue III as much as help.

$6-8 mil on the other hand, that could be very significant, improving the free battle and fighting scenes of the game, improving gameplay. If that's improved it could make a very meaningful impact on the game, make it more exciting and popular—which I remind everyone will be a barometer that determines if there will be a Shenmue 4.
Phong
Master of the Three Blades

Postby killthesagabeforeitkillsu » Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:36 am

Mighty No. 9 also had a deadline, yet they accepted funds post KS.
killthesagabeforeitkillsu
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby ConanTheKing » Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:45 am

I just hope III is a big success and that Sony makes Shenmue IV a full fledged AAA high budget game.
ConanTheKing

PSN: ConanTheLeader

Postby kazuma.vs.ryo » Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:38 am

i blame awsome japan
kazuma.vs.ryo
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: shenmue

Postby Fei Fong Wong » Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:04 am

Henry Spencer wrote: This idea that everyone should donate said amount of money is a ridiculous one. If people are supporting with whatever they can, good on them. People need to stop stressing themselves out of the "what ifs" and just appreciate that we have Shenmue 3 now. PayPal after the Kickstarter is over is a possibility. So is Shenmue HD. I honestly am finding some of this talk about the Kickstarter really toxic (many times I've seen people on here just turn on each other and say some horrible or stupid things) and at this stage now, will be glad once it's all finally over, quite honestly.

People should just be happy, for fuck's sake. This is the best time for Shenmue fans... in almost 15 years. Get some perspective, people.

Finally someone putting sense here!
Fei Fong Wong
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PSN: Fei1984
Steam: Fei Wong
Currently playing: Pillars of Eternity

Postby SaM_4000 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:22 am

I don't understand why people are being so greedy...

We are getting Shenmue III FFS!

The excitement is still overwhelming for me, as it should be for every Shenmue fan.
I had long given up all hope that a new Shenmue game was ever arrive and here we are whinging about features that it may or may not have by the end of the kickstarter, it just seems ridiculous to me.

We are getting Shenmue fucking 3 and that's all that matters...

SaM_4000 has received 2 thanks from: Monkei, Reprise
SaM_4000
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Yokosuka » Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:27 am

SaM_4000 wrote: I don't understand why people are being so greedy...

The excitement is still overwhelming for me, as it should be for every Shenmue fan.
I had long given up all hope that a new Shenmue game was ever arrive and here we are whinging about features that it may or may not have by the end of the kickstarter, it just seems ridiculous to me.

Excitement is not incompatible with ambition.

I don't really get all these life lessons personally.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby SaM_4000 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:03 am

Yokosuka wrote:
SaM_4000 wrote: I don't understand why people are being so greedy...

Excitement is not incompatible with ambition.

I don't really get all these life lessons personally.

Oh come on! What's not to get?
Shenmue was all about life lessons so obviously us as fans have to keep it real, so to speak...
SaM_4000
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Drakul » Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:57 am

Himuro wrote:

Grim is known, but I haven't seen as many people talk about it as Shenmue. Grim Fandango HD came and went, I don't think many besides those who already played it like myself cared too much. .

But there is a huge difference between an HD remake of a self contained (and albeit fairly niche PC adventure game) and the announcement of a sequel to a game that ended on a cliffhanger and people had complitely lost hop would ever be released.
Drakul

Postby elfshadowreaper » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:37 am

Drakul wrote:
Himuro wrote:

Grim is known, but I haven't seen as many people talk about it as Shenmue. Grim Fandango HD came and went, I don't think many besides those who already played it like myself cared too much. .

But there is a huge difference between an HD remake of a self contained (and albeit fairly niche PC adventure game) and the announcement of a sequel to a game that ended on a cliffhanger and people had complitely lost hop would ever be released.

At this point to play Shenmue 1 & 2 someone would have either had to have a Dreamcast, an Xbox or a PC good enough to emulate the Dreamcast and the understanding to use that emulator. So it's not an easy game to boot up and play. If Sega were to release digital downloads on PC and PS4 it would be super easy and I think a LOT of people would jump at the opportunity to see what all the fuss is about.
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Shenhua-Nani? » Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:03 am

We are not getting 10 millions even if they open up paypal post ks, but i think we can surely reach all the battle related stretch goals...
Shenhua-Nani?
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:35 am

Its starting to get difficult to read the posts of some of these newbies... ](*,)
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Ceej » Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:36 am

I feel like we need a split Shenmue 3 board at this point. Give all the negative posters their own space to complain. It's hard for me to come to this board because of the crappy atmosphere .

The Shenmue fan base is built on optimism..yet I've seen a couple posters that are more negative than ever. This is one of the most successful Kickstarters of all time(!!!!), why are you being so negative? We're getting Shenmue 3. It's happening. Be happy! Complaining that this massively successful fundraising project isn't even MORE successful is silly! We won! Now, complain about more important things, like how you won't play Shenmue 3 if they don't bring back the main menu music from Shenmue 1 and 2.

Ceej has received 2 thanks from: Monkei, Reprise
Ceej

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III