The new trailer is bad ...

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

The new trailer is bad ...

Postby Technophilz » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:10 am

After watching the very short (39 seconds) 720/30p trailer, I had this question in mind : is this even close to Shenmue standards?

phpBB [video]

and I think the answer to that questions is: NO, not even close.

Yes, I know it's a very early build of Shenmue 3, everything is still in pre-alpha stage and in-development, but even at this very very ... very early stage, this trailer is unacceptable.

Where do I begin? This demo is obviously done in Unreal Engine 4, and there are many examples to demonstrate what this very powerful engine can do in terms of graphics and animations. I've seen some amazing UE4 demos done by amateurs that look way more impressive than this demo. Watching the trailer made me feel really disappointed, because those who worked on it are supposed to be professionals, right?

Why did they use the old characters models instead of the newer (improved but still bad) ones?

Why did they use such awkward camera angles ?

Why are the lighting,reflections and shadows totally wrong?

There's no 1080/60p version of the trailer, and I don't think they even bothered to render one at that resolution/frame rate, or even proof-read the one line they had in English "All game scenes under development" , maybe they meant to say :"All game scenes are underdeveloped"!!, and btw why are they keep using stock music? Couldn't they create some short original tunes for a 39-seconds clip ????

In today's standards, this UE4 trailer is unimpressive in every way, I don't understand why do they keep showing such things ... they're not doing the Kickstarter and Shenmue 3 any good.
As fans, we have been doing our best to #SaveShenmue, and those who are making such immature work need to do theirs well ... I am really sad because the Kickstarter could've been way way better than it is now.

Shenmue has had a great legacy, please stop damaging it any further ...

Technophilz has received a thanks from: Phong
Technophilz
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Shenmue IIx

Re: The new trailer is bad ...

Postby johnvivant » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:28 am

editing out the butt zoom would improve the trailer x100. strange decision that one.

also if they added a slightly better animation to shenhua hands as she lifted them it would improve things a lot - like finger movement or something, because the motion of that particular action looks too stiff.

but i overall like this trailer.
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby ConanTheKing » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:30 am

Yeah but, they havn't even got the funds to start developing properly. They are probably more in the design/planning stages.
ConanTheKing

PSN: ConanTheLeader
Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Yokosuka » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:35 am

Apart some pessimistic fans and trolls, who cares ?

Yokosuka has received 3 thanks from: Himuro, Reprise, Supa
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby NeoShredder » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:37 am

The only thing that really irks me is the clipping on Ryo's jacket when he turns his head. Other than that, I enjoyed this trailer and had no problem with it for what it is.

NeoShredder has received a thanks from: Reprise
NeoShredder
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

PSN: NeoShredder5

Postby Reprise » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:40 am

Blah blah blah blah.

I liked it. Sue me.
Reprise
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Sonoshee » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:41 am

ConanTheKing wrote: Yeah but, they havn't even got the funds to start developing properly. They are probably more in the design/planning stages.

This.

And the fact they are using the older Shenhua model is probably because this trailer was started around the same time as that model was created/being used.

Proper development hasn't even started. Anything we get right now is not going to be insanely brilliant.
I imagine this trailer wasn't even produced by any single member of the team that will be behind Shenmue 3. YSNet/Neilo are still in the recruiting stages.
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby James Brown » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:42 am

Surprised, I thought it looked gorgeous. Considering they've had a couple of weeks and still not received our funding.

James Brown has received a thanks from: Reprise
James Brown
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

XBL: skilljimmeh

Postby Otacon_ahs » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:49 am

Yes, it's bad. I'm not worried about the trailer being an indicative of the final version, i can see Yu Suzuki doing interviews and other development staff doing other things and not focusing too much on the trailer. But, really, for new backers is really bad. "Oh let's look what Shenmue is and what it has to show... Oh shit... I'm not backing this crap".

Otacon_ahs has received a thanks from: Upstairsmuffin
Otacon_ahs
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Currently playing: Shenmue I

Postby Yokosuka » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:58 am

Otacon_ahs wrote: Yes, it's bad. I'm not worried about the trailer being an indicative of the final version, i can see Yu Suzuki doing interviews and other development staff doing other things and not focusing too much on the trailer. But, really, for new backers is really bad. "Oh let's look what Shenmue is and what it has to show... Oh shit... I'm not backing this crap".

You overestimate the number of people with tiny brain.

From shit, they did practically a miracle.
Last edited by Yokosuka on Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Re: The new trailer is a bad ...

Postby RiGoRmOrTiS » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:59 am

They haven't even hired staff yet, this was probably one guy quickly animating by hand and slapping light sources in to get a video out.. It's perfectly fine for now, if it looks like that 12 months into development then we can complain.

If that's what they can do in unreal 4 with no staff I think we should be very excited

RiGoRmOrTiS has received 3 thanks from: Dragon St., Himuro, SaM_4000
RiGoRmOrTiS
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Upstairsmuffin » Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:01 am

Yeah, I think we would have been better off without this trailer.
It just gives a bad impression to people new to the series.

That zoom into the ass though. what.

Upstairsmuffin has received a thanks from: Otacon_ahs
Upstairsmuffin
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

XBL: UpstairsMuffin
Steam: UpstairsMuffin

Postby Otacon_ahs » Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:04 am

Yokosuka wrote:
From shit, they did practically a miracle.

I know, but really, i CAN'T pledge more, so i'm not talking about us or our consideration about the project. Plus a majority of fans already pledged. I'm saying that for new people, it looks really bad, because those new people doesn't care about the "they did a miracle", but will think "this look worse than a one person indie game".

I'm exaggerating, but you see what i mean.
Otacon_ahs
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Currently playing: Shenmue I

Postby Lan Di-sama » Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:18 am

](*,)

The game isn't even in development yet.

How can you say that this looks bad to those new to the series? Are you new to the series?

Judging by the boost in funding since last night, Id hardly say this teaser had a negative impact.

I cannot wait for this campaign to end and for the game to go quietly into production so everyone can quit hyper-analyzing (aka bitching about) everything.

Lan Di-sama
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby mrandyk » Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:33 am

Yu said that gameplay footage won't be out until 2017. That should tell you what they are working with right now. They have nothing at all and quickly threw something together just to give people an image of Ryo and Shenhua created with modern software.

mrandyk has received a thanks from: RiGoRmOrTiS
mrandyk
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Next

Return to Shenmue III