Yu Suzuki officially announces Paypal support for Shenmue 3

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Yu Suzuki officially announces Paypal support for Shenmu

Postby Zoltor » Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:01 am

Hyo Razuki wrote: It wouldn't even have to be Paypal. Just find some way we can throw money at YS NET. If we'd have to wire the money over to Japan, give us the SWIFT number or something. Maybe make a short video, telling us how it works. If Paypal is not big in Japan, maybe there is a Japanese equivalent. I'd be happy to use that too, if it can be used from abroad. Just direct us to their English website. If it's only in Japanese, make a video telling us where to click and how to utilize it.

They basically just need to find some way for people to give them money. If Paypal won't work, find something else then. We've wasted two months already.

Yea, I completely agree.
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Switch » Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:05 pm

Relevant part from the recent Famitsu interview. Seemingly still alive.

Q: Do you have plans for other ways to accept funding?

YS: I'm planning on accepting funding via PayPal. It is still being coordinated so I can't give details at the moment, but progress is being made on getting it ready.

Q: Depending on the amount of further funding, is there a possibility that stretch goals not reached during the Kickstarter campaign will be included?

YS: I would like to add them if possible. Kickstarter is a non-Japanese site and so I think it may have been hard for Japanese people to use. Even for the mailing address entry, people may have worried that making a slight mistake might result in their rewards not being delivered. So when accepting funding through PayPal, I'd like to ensure it supports Japanese language.

Q: That makes sense. With Japanese support, fans in Japan will feel relieved, won't they.

Switch has received 2 thanks from: Mr357, punkmanced
Switch
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Nicolaoua » Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:28 am

According to our fellow fan David, the PayPal funding should start on 17th september!

http://www.gameblog.fr/blogs/atarashigame/p_115093_shenmue-iii-une-date-pour-le-systeme-paypal
Nicolaoua
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Currently playing: Plants vs Zombies

Postby Giorgio » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:44 am

According to this tweet (by Cedric Biscay), PayPal funding for Shenmue 3 will last for about 4 months.

This is unexpected for me. I expected it will last almost until the end (more than a year) and it will raise $80M or something, haha. However! I can understand that they want to know the exact budget at some point, so as to plan exactly/accurately what they are going to implement, and thus bring the product as close to the promised release date.

Giorgio has received 2 thanks from: Switch, Yokosuka
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza series

Postby Amir » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:48 am

Giorgio wrote: According to this tweet (by Cedric Biscay), PayPal funding for Shenmue 3 will last for about 4 months.

This is unexpected for me. I expected it will last almost until the end (more than a year) and it will raise $80M or something, haha. However! I can understand that they want to know the exact budget at some point, so as to plan exactly/accurately what they are going to implement, and thus bring the product as close to the promised release date.

Well, at least it's longer than the Kickstarter, and it's still a decent amount of time for people to save up from a few paycheques.
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Steam: AmirMoosavi
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Vanquish (PC)

Postby Yokosuka » Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:26 am

I expected one or two months, fantastic news =D>
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Zoltor » Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:29 am

Giorgio wrote: According to this tweet (by Cedric Biscay), PayPal funding for Shenmue 3 will last for about 4 months.

Sigh, not even a year, hell not even half a year, that's very sad sigh. You know XMAS is around the corner, the time of year, people generally don't have much money to spend on themselves. Yu is in the wrong mindset, to be only focusing on the Japanese people, when it come to offering the ability for people to further fund the game.

A 1 long Paypal window wouldn't even come close to the ending stretch of development, so It's really silly to have a even smaller window.
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Yokosuka » Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:39 am

Did you really expect one year ? Wow. Shenmue is not an online simulation.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Zoltor » Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:56 am

Yokosuka wrote: Did you really expect one year ? Wow. Shenmue is not an online simulation.

It's very standard for indi games in general, to offer payment options for even much longer then a year. However Yu is a very fast worker bee, so much longer then a year, might be pushing it, but 1 year is definitely a reasonable window to expect. It doesn't need to be a MMO, Space sim, online game in general ect, to warrant keeping the ability for people to further fund the development(which costs no money to even keep such open) open.
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby ShenSun » Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:19 pm

Shenmue 3 Paypal has been implemented poorly if you ask me. Paypal should have been offered as soon as the kickstarter ended, as there was still mass hype around the project.

They've left it for a good few months, are primarily focusing on japanese ppl and are only leaving it open until the end of the year. The hype has died down and the holiday season, which is extremely expensive is approaching. I would like to know their thought process behind this decision as i cant see how this benefits them at all. They should just leave the paypal option open permanently so that people can donate whenever they feel like it, be it now or in the future.

Only time will tell i guess. Hopefully, the paypal news is published on Sony sites, trailers, etc, and is not a simple KS update.

Let's hope for the best.
ShenSun
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby NeoShredder » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:59 pm

NeoShredder has received 3 thanks from: Mr357, Switch, Yokosuka
NeoShredder
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

PSN: NeoShredder5

Postby Yokosuka » Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:04 am

The stretch goals are there !!!! And the rewards come back.

Among the differences, the PC version is no longer available because of discussions with the "related parties".

We still don't know if we can upgrade our kickstarter pledges.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Scrounder » Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:39 am

I made a big mistake. For the Kickstarter I pledged twice:
$600 for the PC version
$60 for the PS4 version

Does this mean I'll never ever be able to use the calling card on the PS4 version?
Scrounder
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Mr357 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:54 am

My two cents:

They're not counting on receiving a dollar more than what they've got already. I imagine they're only offering PayPal because it was requested so much, and they'd rather budget around a smaller, but solid number than try to plan off of a dynamic amount on the fly. The game is going to be less expensive than people think, and we still don't know for sure that the Kickstarter funds are all they have to work with. Just be glad that they're going to get some amount out of this, and keep waiting patiently for the end reward. [-o<

Scrounder wrote: I made a big mistake. For the Kickstarter I pledged twice:
$600 for the PC version
$60 for the PS4 version

Does this mean I'll never ever be able to use the calling card on the PS4 version?

Probably so, unfortunately.
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby punkmanced » Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:03 am

Scrounder wrote: I made a big mistake. For the Kickstarter I pledged twice:
$600 for the PC version
$60 for the PS4 version

Something seems to be happening with the calling card: Slacker Backer makes no mention of it at any tier, which is a bit weird.

Anyway, I wouldn't worry too much. Worst case scenario, I'd imagine they'd release it at as console DLC.
punkmanced
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III