Anyone worried that Yu might listen to the fans too much?

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Anyone worried that Yu might listen to the fans too much?

Postby Rikitatsu » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:40 pm

The translation in the stream was pretty bad, so some words might have lost it's meaning, but...

At one point in the stream, Suzuki said (paraphrasing) that up until now he always approached his projects while putting his own vision, creativity, and originality above everything else... But with Shenmue 3, he will be listening to the fans' feedback to shape the game.

Now I don't speak on behalf of the Shenmue community, but I sure as hell hope he continues doing what he has been doing in the past, and not let the fans compromise his vision. I don't want Shenmue 3 to be fan-service laden game.

Your thoughts?

Rikitatsu has received 2 thanks from: Mr357, strider16
Rikitatsu
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Re: Anyone worried that Yu might listen to the fans too much

Postby Yokosuka » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:49 pm

phpBB [video]

Yokosuka has received 6 thanks from: Amir, Himuro, Mr357, SquallAdv, strider16, Wude-Tang Clan
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby shredingskin » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:50 pm

Not to say that YS vision was bad but Shenmue needs more guns and space alien marines.

shredingskin has received a thanks from: Mr357
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Rikitatsu » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:50 pm

Yokosuka wrote:
phpBB [video]

Am I missing something? What does he say?
Rikitatsu
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby ShinChuck » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:53 pm

I think, what most fans want, is "more Shenmue", and it won't be Shenmue unless he's allowed to do his thing. At least, that's my optimistic appraisal of the community!

I don't want him to significantly compromise his vision either. I don't, however, mind him tweaking or adjusting/adding things that can work in tandem with said vision. I think he'll find the right middle ground!

ShinChuck has received a thanks from: strider16
ShinChuck
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: ShinChuck1
XBL: ShinChuck
Nintendo FC: ShinChuck
Steam: ShinChuck
Currently playing: Resident Evil 6

Postby Amir » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:54 pm

I don't mind fans' names and faces in the game in suitable context (obviously I say that as an I AM SHENMUE backer), but in terms of ideas, Suzuki should focus on making the game he's dreamt of making for years. A few bits of input here and there like for the Monaco backers is cool, but constantly searching for others' opinions during development might hinder progress. I don't want him to force in something like forklifts at the expense of a new feature. If forklifts are a $12 million stretch goal, then that's OK, but I wouldn't want them replacing new features like Rapport or Character Perspective, glad those were prioritised.

I still think he'll make a worthy sequel to the greatest games of all time.
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Steam: AmirMoosavi
Currently playing: Vanquish (PC)

Postby Peter » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:57 pm

Rikitatsu wrote:Am I missing something? What does he say?

"The director of a game must have a strong and clear vision of what he wants, and for the development, he should try not to go out of his way by listening to the opinions of others. There are many things that he would be better doing in another way chosen by the director, but if we listen to everyone and correct everything, you end up with a game that looks like any other."

Peter has received 2 thanks from: Wude-Tang Clan, Yokosuka
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby shredingskin » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:58 pm

He was not happy that Nozomi had more votes than shenhua lol

shredingskin has received a thanks from: Phong
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Rikitatsu » Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:04 pm

Peter wrote:

"The director of a game must have a strong and clear vision of what he wants, and for the development, he should try not to go out of his way by listening to the opinions of others. There are many things that he would be better doing in another way chosen by the director, but if we listen to everyone and correct everything, you end up with a game that looks like any other."

Thanks.

But see here, that's what worries me. This is Yu Suzuki's mantra Pre-Shenmue 3. Now he has said in the Twitch stream that he will take a different approach.
Rikitatsu
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby joka » Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:07 pm

This new age of Kickstarter and social media has always had me a bit worried as when you need fans to fund the game pre-dev there's a danger that they expect to be involved and you feel the pressure to let them be.

As long as fans don't impact on the story then that's the main thing for me- even passively.

The poll being a good example- so for instance Yu changing how the relationship between Ryo and Nozomi ends because she came out highly liked in fan polls. I'd rather if they're not meant to be that's how it stays.

Influence of mini games, bonus content, even design (to a certain degree) I'm not so worried about but I have faith in Yu's vision and commitment to that to not be too worried about it!
joka
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: C_U_NexTime
Currently playing: Phantom Pain

Postby Bambi » Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:09 pm

“If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses.” - Henry Ford.

Bambi has received 2 thanks from: Mr357, Yokosuka
Bambi
The Master of Unlocking
"Keep Friends"

Postby Sonoshee » Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:14 pm

He's involving fans to a point, such as an enviromental NPC etc - stuff you saw as reward tiers on the KS.

The story won't be affected in any way, I'm sure his vision will be as strong as ever.

Sonoshee has received a thanks from: JaySw34
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Peter » Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:18 pm

Rikitatsu wrote:
Peter wrote:

Thanks.

But see here, that's what worries me. This is Yu Suzuki's mantra Pre-Shenmue 3. Now he has said in the Twitch stream that he will take a different approach.

Well thats something you are not gonna know the true answer to. So you can choose to worry about it, or not to. I prefer the second option personally. Better for your health.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby JaySw34 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:22 pm

I'm confident that his ultimate vision won't be compromised one bit
JaySw34
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: JaySw34
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby Rikitatsu » Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:25 pm

Peter wrote:
Rikitatsu wrote:
Peter wrote:

Thanks.

Well thats something you are not gonna know the true answer to. So you can choose to worry about it, or not to. I prefer the second option personally. Better for your health.

Maybe we should get him the message that he should stick with his old design philosophy, because that's what most of the fans would want.
Rikitatsu
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Next

Return to Shenmue III