AwesomeJapan - postmortem performance

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: AwesomeJapan - postmortem performance

Postby code l name » Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:39 pm

Snakiest wrote: They deserve a tap on the shoulder for putting their best effort into acting on the advice from the community, but that doesn't absolve them from being incompetent. I wish they had had that learning experience with another project, not the revival of a fan favorite classic 14 years after its untimely death.

Exactly, I love people trying to defend their performance by saying they learnt and improved as the campaign went on like this was some type of educational endeavour. And when they cite these so called improvements, you can find out this was only due to the community having to back channel the co-producer of the game and demand improvements be made.

The fact that Cedric became more of a mouth piece and engaged the community more than AJ themselves I think speaks volumes to their effort.

I find it somewhat humorous, suddenly the same people that discuss topics ad nauseam about a videogame they've completed hundreds of times over the years suddenly rule certain topics don't bear further analysis or discussion. I guess some people really do like pleading ignorance...

code l name has received a thanks from: Dragon St.
code l name
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Snakiest » Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:52 pm

Himuro wrote:
Snakiest wrote: They deserve a tap on the shoulder for putting their best effort into acting on the advice from the community, but that doesn't absolve them from being incompetent. I wish they had had that learning experience with another project, not the revival of a fan favorite classic 14 years after its untimely death. Sure, it is over, but no way they are getting my gratitude. They should be thanking the community, really, and in an ideal world, the community would have got a cut - if only to invest in the hosting of their sites and forums. -)

In Yu we trust.

I'm not saying they weren't incompetent. I'm just saying that making bullet lists and moaning about the incompetence feels pointless now that we've made 6.3 million dollars.

It is never pointless. If anything, it makes the frustrated feel better. It is not even about feeling disappointed that it could have been done better, it is the very fact that such incompetence exists and manages to get involved in such important work that rubs some people the wrong way. It is like complaining about politics, I guess. Nobody is trying to teach AJ a lesson or make the world a better place here, but you can't deny us the right to express our opinion about what upsets us even still. -)

In Yu we trust.

Snakiest has received a thanks from: code l name
Snakiest
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Himuro » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:14 pm

code l name wrote:
Snakiest wrote: They deserve a tap on the shoulder for putting their best effort into acting on the advice from the community, but that doesn't absolve them from being incompetent. I wish they had had that learning experience with another project, not the revival of a fan favorite classic 14 years after its untimely death.

Exactly, I love people trying to defend their performance by saying they learnt and improved as the campaign went on like this was some type of educational endeavour. And when they cite these so called improvements, you can find out this was only due to the community having to back channel the co-producer of the game and demand improvements be made.

The fact that Cedric became more of a mouth piece and engaged the community more than AJ themselves I think speaks volumes to their effort.

I find it somewhat humorous, suddenly the same people that discuss topics ad nauseam about a videogame they've completed hundreds of times over the years suddenly rule certain topics don't bear further analysis or discussion. I guess some people really do like pleading ignorance...

You are thinking this over too much. I'm not necessarily defending them, because they don't need defending: they weren't that good. However, it feels like a lot of people can't let it go and are continuing to harp on it. That's not bad in itself, but the tone of the thread is unnecessarily toxic given the record we just made. That doesn't mean I'm excusing AJ - i was one of their most ardent critics.

Himuro has received 2 thanks from: JaySw34, Mystere
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby code l name » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:28 pm

Himuro wrote:You are thinking this over too much. I'm not necessarily defending them, because they don't need defending: they weren't that good. However, it feels like a lot of people can't let it go and are continuing to harp on it. That's not bad in itself, but the tone of the thread is unnecessarily toxic given the record we just made. That doesn't mean I'm excusing AJ - i was one of their most ardent critics.

How is this thread toxic? It's important that we as a community have some perspective and take stock of the last month. That means celebrating the amazing milestone that was achieved and having the ability to critically examine the Kickstarter campaign which as I've demonstrated included a catalogue of errors.

If you actually read my original post, these were factual observations. There was nothing about Joel, personalities or anything beside the facts. It's extremely sad when we as fans can't come to the table to have a discussion when there's a hint that it could be anything less than complimentary to a series we all love. That's called being a zealot and I am thankful there's people that are prepared to have a discussion and not hide behind blinders.
Last edited by code l name on Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
code l name
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby shredingskin » Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:53 pm

THey hanven't even did an update saying "we did it" or something.

I know they don't work on weekends, but it's just writing a couple of lines, pretty much the same time that I've wasted writing this post.

shredingskin has received a thanks from: Dragon St.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Fei Fong Wong » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:42 am

You know, despite their flaws i think they made a good job, i know they could be more worked on such aspects but i think they werent making them intentionally, more like they werent prepared for a huge scale project like this. I dont have nothing agaisnt them, on the contrary im very thankfull for making all this happen.
Fei Fong Wong
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PSN: Fei1984
Steam: Fei Wong
Currently playing: Pillars of Eternity

Postby 0rganiker » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:09 am

I think that if the kickstarter consisted of just the stretch goals, rewards, and a picture of poop on the KS page, we would have made about the same amount.

What really bothered me about this campaign, and especially that last stream, was the lack of polish on just about everything. I understand that the game itself is a work in progress. I was bothered more by things like the setup in the last stream. It looked like they were working out of a company's break room. Watching that twitch stream, It looked as though I could have probably put the whole thing together myself for cheap. I mean, I think any twitch streamer, no matter how amateur, could have put together the same thing, and probably better.

I'm just really hoping that all this came about the way it did because he got the E3 opportunity without enough notice and was strapped for cash at the time. I don't know if that's what happened, but it seems like it. Like maybe he spent most of the time talking people into joining the project so he had little time to work on the videos, and as mentioned previously, never had to deal with the PR side of things before. I say I hope this is the case, because now he's got a bunch of money to hire professionals to deal with that stuff so he can concentrate on making the game. I hope.
0rganiker
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby punkmanced » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:34 am

3-4 days after the end of the campaign, and not even a simple Kickstarter update.
Round of applause for Awesome Japan :roll:

punkmanced has received a thanks from: code l name
punkmanced
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Snakiest » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:36 am

I hope they were sacked the second kickstarter ended, so there's nobody left to manage the page. -)

In Yu we trust.
Snakiest

Postby code l name » Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:03 am

punkmanced wrote: 3-4 days after the end of the campaign, and not even a simple Kickstarter update.

Absolutely amazing these guys have provided no update. Love to hear people keep defending these clowns.
code l name
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Himuro » Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:22 am

This is pretty indefensible, but we should wait. We have no idea what's going on.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby joka » Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:19 pm

code l name wrote:
punkmanced wrote: 3-4 days after the end of the campaign, and not even a simple Kickstarter update.

Absolutely amazing these guys have provided no update. Love to hear people keep defending these clowns.

Didn't someone from AJ respond to a question on the delay with PayPal and allude to their being some issues that were out of their control?

Shouldnt be pinned on them without all the facts.
joka
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: C_U_NexTime
Currently playing: Phantom Pain

Postby joka » Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:20 pm

joka
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby joka » Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:27 pm

joka wrote:*

As for the Paypal, Mr. Suzuki did mention it on the Twitch broadcast. There are reasons yes, none of which I am personally privy to. But you can imagine our situation is is slightly more complicated than your average Kickstarter.

Was the response from Joel Tess at AJ to Sand4fish.

Doesn't seem like the delay is anything to do with AJ...
joka
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby punkmanced » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:33 pm

...Dude, I wasn’t even hoping for a Paypal update at this point (that would be grossly overestimating things), just a simple congratulatory message, with perhaps a dash of hope and a twist of inspiration.
But nope! ](*,)

punkmanced has received a thanks from: Dragon St.
punkmanced
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III