Future of Shenmue series after 2017

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Future of Shenmue series after 2017

Postby mrandyk » Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:27 am

hazuki90 wrote:
Yokosuka wrote: From 2010 (Publishers include development, marketing and other expenses) :
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/enterta ... -game.html

Remember that YSnet is actually the publisher of the PS4 version and that the retail release is not guaranteed.

If YSnet is the publisher, then what the hell is sony role ??

I was also under the impression that Sony is publishing the PS4 edition.
mrandyk
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Yokosuka » Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:30 am

Yu only said Sony will help Shenmue 3 with "some publishing support" in addition of the "marketing and production".
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby shenmue852 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:36 am

probably means free advertising, waived developer license fee to release on Playstation and discount on PS4 cases and blu ray disc manufacturing (OR waived cost of getting onto PSN)
shenmue852
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Telekill » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:38 am

If I had to guess a number I'd say that Shenmue 3 would need to sell around $350k worldwide to warrant a 4th. As with a few of you, I hope the 4th would remain PS4/PC instead of jumping to next gen and that Shenmue 4 would be the final installment.
Telekill
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: Telekill
Currently playing: Detroit Become Human

Postby zach » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:51 am

Telekill wrote: If I had to guess a number I'd say that Shenmue 3 would need to sell around $350k worldwide to warrant a 4th. As with a few of you, I hope the 4th would remain PS4/PC instead of jumping to next gen and that Shenmue 4 would be the final installment.

The horror that I have to buy two consoles to finish this story. :cry:
zach
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Currently playing: Yakuza 4, Cave Story

Postby Telekill » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:57 am

zach wrote:
Telekill wrote: If I had to guess a number I'd say that Shenmue 3 would need to sell around $350k worldwide to warrant a 4th. As with a few of you, I hope the 4th would remain PS4/PC instead of jumping to next gen and that Shenmue 4 would be the final installment.

The horror that I have to buy two consoles to finish this story. :cry:

You already have bought at least two consoles for it so far. Worst case scenario would be if Shenmue 4 was on PS5/PC, it would be a different console for each iteration.
Telekill
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: Telekill
Currently playing: Detroit Become Human

Postby Wude-Tang Clan » Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:31 am

People around the world eagerly wait for the clock to strike 12:00 AM to get their physical and digital copies of Shenmue 3. The president holds an impromptu summit with all word leaders with the help of holographic Abe Lincoln to determine how to contain Shenmue 3 pandemonium from causing world wide hysteria and stampedes.
Everyone at the summit surely feels the tremendous gravity of the situation, and is moved to tears.

Suddenly, Kim Jong-un appears on the main-monitor, crying and apologizing profusely for then pain and suffering he has caused. He states that only now, after the release of Shenmue 3, has he seen the folly of his ways and the suffering of his people.
The room erupts with applause and cheers, and every world leader unanimously agrees that this day be made officially as, 'world-wide Shenmue day'. It's a new festive holiday where everyone is encouraged to wear leather bomber jackets, blue jeans and white sneakers while drinking Fanta soda as a sign of world peace and solidarity.

The new rules of the holiday are written on a scroll with an ink quill and signed by every world leader. It's put over a candle to give it those brown hues that make it look like a older document that it actually is, then, it's rolled up and shot through a pneumatic tube, where it is sent directly to replace the constitution at the Smithsonian in Washington D.C.

Meanwhile, broadcasts are interrupted all over the globe, informing all citizens to go home and be with their families to enjoy the new holiday: Shenmue day.
Gabe Newell announces Half-Life 3, and in the same breath states that Gordon Freeman will be replaced by Ryo Hazuki.

Reviews are pouring in as 10's all across the board, it's hailed as a master stroke of pure genius by all media; small and large; local news to national 24 hour networks are wall-to-wall Shenmue coverage around the clock. Bill O'reilly renames the O'reilly factor to the Hazuki factor for Shenmue day.

Old critics and haters have taken to self-flagellation with HDMI cables. The Pope offers the papacy to Suzuki-san at the Vatican, but he graciously declines as he addresses the throngs of people who wait for his words.
He states, only, "Thank you for making Shenmue 3 possible. Now, we can make Shenmue 4, next. Thank you all." The crowds watching from around the world in stadiums and pubs, in public squares and homes are raucous and jubilant.

Suzuki-san hops into his red F355 Ferrari, but it has no wheels at all. Somehow finding the time while developing Shenmue 3, his genius has created the worlds first fully modified hover-Ferrari. He winks, puts on his sunglasses, and turns the stereo to the song, splash wave. Then turns the key and the car gradually takes flight and soars into the sky.
Subsequently, Elon Musk purchases the hover-Ferrari technology from Suzuki-san for his Tesla factories. Suzuki-san uses this massive windfall to purchase SEGA, using an unlimited budget for all future Shenmue games.

Wude-Tang Clan has received 2 thanks from: NeoShredder, Switch
Wude-Tang Clan
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Sh3ppy » Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:55 am

:lol:
Sh3ppy
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PSN: rambleon11

Postby Hyo Razuki » Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:38 am

So, I'm bumping this old thread up again because right now, one year after the S3 Kickstarter we can see a little bit further into the future of the series. With the NX, the PS Neo and Xbox Scorpio announced, we will have to see on what platform(s) Shenmue will be able to continue on after S3.

So other than S3's sales, which is of course the key element to Shenmue's future, we have to look at the hardware question and the time question.

For the hardware part, let's look at the PS Neo thing first. We'll have to see what it is and what it does. From what I understand it is not really gonna be a new generation of Playstation hardware but more like a 4k upgrade to the PS4. Even if that's the case, the question still remains if the regular PS4, which has about 40 million users right now, will be able to play all future games or if there will be games which only work on the Neo. That in turn would lead to the regular PS4's slow death the same as the Neo not running any PS4 games at all would.

Building S4 on PS4 (and PC) would probably be a lot cheaper to develop than moving the whole thing to yet another generation of consoles. Sort of like the DC version of S2, they could just take a lot of things from S3 which they already have, like character models, fighting engine, et cetera, refine those things a little bit and build a new game in Unreal 4 engine.

But then again we don't know yet, if there will ever be another generation of classical physical home consoles with a physical storage medium like a disc, a cart or a cartridge anyway. This leads us to the question of time.

If we say that all PS4 games run on either the classic PS4 or the Neo and we give the PS4 like a six or seven-year lifespan (PS 1 came out in 94, PS2 in 2000, PS3 in 2006 and PS4 in 2013) that would mean the PS5 (if there will be one) would come out at some point in 2019 or 2020. Now the thing is, if S3 can make its current schedule and gets released in late 2017 and sells enough to get S4 made, it would at least take around 2 more years for the fourth game to get made. So that would mean S4 would come out probably at around 2019 or 2020.

Now that means that if S4 gets made as a PS4 game it would come out by the end of the PS4's life cycle. I cannot see Sony or Sega or any other major publisher giving a PS4 game major stage time at E3, after the PS5 will have come out.

Furthermore, let's not forget Yu Suzuki's age. The master will be 60 in 2017.

I personally hope for the Shemue saga to be concluded by the fourth game and on PS4. As much as I loved Yu Suzuki's decision not to finish the story with the third game, I still absolutely want closure to the story. I want to know how Ryo Hazuki's journey ends. I've been waiting to find out since 2002. And I want a masterpiece work of art like Shenmue to be concluded in a dignified manner. And I think that would not have been possible with just three games.

But I think it is very well possible with four games, even if some parts of the story will have to be shortened. My biggest worry is Shenmue staying without any conclusion at all. I think starting from scratch on yet another game engine and yet another console generation might be too much.

What do you think? How will the future of the console market in general affect Shenmue's future? What role will Suzuki-San's age play? Would you prefer 4 or 5 games?
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Centrale » Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:53 am

Personally I've been gradually increasing my PC gaming and my interest in keeping up with more and more new consoles is waning. PC offers the potential of an active modding community and a fairly stable platform that can play new games as well as games from many years ago. Having said that, whatever platform Shenmue comes out on, I'll be getting it. If they put out Shenmue 5 on the Wonderswan, I'll shrug my shoulders and get a Wonderswan.

As for 4 or 5... I think Suzuki mentioned 5 because that's his ideal. So unless it becomes clear that it will be completely impossible, I'll be hoping for 5 installments. I think they'll be able to pull it off with their experience of developing 3 on a modest budget.

Centrale has received 2 thanks from: -=SPZ=-47, VukBZ2005
Centrale
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby mrandyk » Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:10 pm

I bet the sales of Shenmue 3 will dictate whether or not there will be 4 or 5 games. If S3 flops then Suzuki may go all in on resolving the plot in S4. But if S3 is a smash hit and there is no more concern regarding the future of the series then Suzuki would have no reason to compromise his original vision.
mrandyk
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby SMDzero » Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:59 pm

I gotta say even if Shenmue 3 is a flop and the rest of the series is permanently suspended we'd still be in a much better position then we were since before 2015 in that we got 3 games instead of just 2.

SMDzero has received 2 thanks from: Himuro, Yokosuka
SMDzero
Banned
Banned

Postby Yokosuka » Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:26 pm

SMDzero wrote: I gotta say even if Shenmue 3 is a flop and the rest of the series is permanently suspended we'd still be in a much better position then we were since before 2015 in that we got 3 games instead of just 2.

Not sure if you're serious or not but I'm your biggest fan, really.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Zoltor » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:08 am

I really think, that without a doubt, Shenmue 3 will easily sell enough to warrant a Shenmue 4(especially when pure Adventure games are having a major revival as of late). The question that is more up in the air, is will Shenmue 4 sell enough for a Shenmue 5(supposedly 5-6 games total should be enough to finish the series).

We need both 3, and 4 to be damn amazing to pull that off.

On the upside, the odds are overwhelming that however good Shenmue 3 may be, 4 will be way better, due to all the extra funds Yu will have, from the sales of 3, so I think there's a fairly high chance that Yu will beable to complete the series.

What I know of Shenmue 3 at this point, definitely implies It's on the right track(the Shenmue 3 ending scenario is on a path, that will surpass the greatness of even the Shenmue 2 ending, noticeably so at that. While I don't think 3 will beable to hold a candle to 2 "as a whole", to create such a ending, is a rather amazing feat in of its self). Another thing, Yu is adding a new mechanic(well it was always planned to be in Shenmue 3, and onward, since the original games were released), that will add even more complex interactions with the main characters, so yea I think 3 is going to do insanely well.
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby SMDzero » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:02 am

Zoltor wrote: I really think, that without a doubt, Shenmue 3 will easily sell enough to warrant a Shenmue 4(especially when pure Adventure games are having a major revival as of late). The question that is more up in the air, is will Shenmue 4 sell enough for a Shenmue 5(supposedly 5-6 games total should be enough to finish the series).

We need both 3, and 4 to be damn amazing to pull that off.

On the upside, the odds are overwhelming that however good Shenmue 3 may be, 4 will be way better, due to all the extra funds Yu will have, from the sales of 3, so I think there's a fairly high chance that Yu will beable to complete the series.

What I know of Shenmue 3 at this point, definitely implies It's on the right track(the Shenmue 3 ending scenario is on a path, that will surpass the greatness of even the Shenmue 2 ending, noticeably so at that. While I don't think 3 will beable to hold a candle to 2 "as a whole", to create such a ending, is a rather amazing feat in of its self). Another thing, Yu is adding a new mechanic(well it was always planned to be in Shenmue 3, and onward, since the original games were released), that will add even more complex interactions with the main characters, so yea I think 3 is going to do insanely well.

I strongly doubt a Shenmue 5 will happen and I don't think it would really be necessary.. it would be ideal but not necessary.

Yu Suzuki ought to be able to finish the story properly in 2 more games.... really how much more can he put into 3 more games that he can't pull off in 2 more?
SMDzero
Banned
Banned

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III