Rapport system

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Rapport system

Postby Switch » Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:48 pm

Now that we've seen several comments from Yu Suzuki about the Rapport system he plans for Shenmue III, I've collected together the main ones so far here.

An early potential explanation was identified by Himuro in this post, picking up on a comment by Yu in a 2010 interview with 1up.com. Yu talked about his plans to emphasize on Ryo a "deeper dialog" with Shenhua in particular.
YS: This is not actually in the game, but as an example to give you an idea of what I mean by deeper dialogue, when Shenhua and Ryo are at home, Shenhua will ask Ryo if he would like to drink tea or coffee and the player will select one or the other. Or, Shenhua will ask Ryo a hypothetical question like: "There are four animals; a monkey, cat, dog and bird. You are crossing the river but you need to leave one behind. Which one will you leave behind?" And the player has to choose one. Shenhua will ask lots and lots of questions like these and the answers will get stored in the game and affect the outcome of the player's relationship with other characters. It's like a personality test.

After the Kickstarter was announced, more details were given on the first Twitch stream in June:
YS: With the Rapport System, various data on your interactions with Shenhua will be tracked, such as her level of trust and rapport with you and so on, according to your actions toward her and the way your conversations progress. Later, this will affect how cooperative Shenhua is toward you, for example. I think we’ll be able to express a new and exciting angle to Shenmue that wasn’t present in the previous games.

Twitter Q&A:
Q44: Since relationships between characters will be more prominent, will we see something like a multiple choice conversation system? A: I am thinking about dialogue selection system

Kickstarter countdown Twitch stream (link to video):
YS: This is also something I may not have described much in the Kickstarter project, but I'm thinking about a new form of cooperative exploration. It's a system that allows you to explore together with Shenhua. Well, you could say that Shenhua helps you. The way in which she helps you is determined by the Rapport System, which I think everyone has heard about before. As you carry out conversations with Shenhua, several parameters such as favorability, reliability and so on are tracked as you play. And as a result of building up conversations with Shenhua, whether she ends up becoming cooperative towards you, or gets upset with you, is something I'm planning to weave into the game.

Niconico interview:
Another factor this time is that more time will be spent together with Shenhua --although there will also be many new characters making an appearance --and so we will be introducing several new features to help portray the relationship between the two. The features include things like a new conversational choice system that occurs from time to time as well as a parameter that tracks the closeness of their friendship and there is also Character Perspective.

Summary:
  • There will be an emphasis on deeper dialog, especially with Shenhua
  • A new branching selection system for conversations will appear from time to time
  • Several parameters will be tracked to measure Shenhua's attitude to you based on your replies, including aspects such as reliability, favorability, trust etc
  • The level of rapport you have built up with Shenhua will effect how cooperative she is during your exploration together and so on.

I personally like the idea of a branching dialog system affecting the character interactions and potentially leading to multiple story variations. It should help add to replayability.

Switch has received 7 thanks from: Giorgio, Himuro, johnvivant, Reprise, south carmain, Yokosuka, Ziming
Switch
News Poster
News Poster

Re: Rapport system

Postby SMDzero » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:15 pm

I wonder if you'll be able to be intentionally mean to Shenhua and get a bad ending where she leaves you.

I doubt the relationship variability will be that expansive of but it would be interesting on repeated play throughs. Maybe the more you talk about Nozoni the more Shenhua will be jealous.
SMDzero
Banned
Banned

Postby rome » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:41 pm

Dialogue selection system sounds like it could be pretty epic. And will add so much to the replayability factor if done the way I assume it'd go down.

Imagine the possibilities with cooperative exploration.The first two questions you don't answer to her liking, and now you're on your own in finding a certain person or information Shenhua could have potentially helped you with.

I've always enjoyed multiple selection in games, especially Shenmue and can't wait to see how they implement this in Shenmue 3.
rome
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Shenmue II

Postby Three Blades » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:38 am

I'll make it my mission to be as annoying as possible towards her, and see if I can get her to slap me.
Three Blades
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby johnvivant » Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:35 pm

SMDzero wrote: I wonder if you'll be able to be intentionally mean to Shenhua and get a bad ending where she leaves you.

i'm fascinated by the prospect that there could be a karma evil/good alignment system in the future games, with Ryo potentially going bad and joining the chioyoumen. its definitely been established in the previous games that many people are concerned that Ryo's thirst for revenge could 'lead him onto a evil path'.

also in the shenmue poem it says;
A young man who has yet to know his potential,
This potential is a power that could either destroy him or realize his will,

implying that all might not go well for Ryo in the future - the possibility of his moral and/or physical destruction.
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Henry Spencer » Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:42 pm

Didn't they experiment with this via the branching paths and dialogue selection systems at the end of Shenmue 2 (and the dalogue choices with Fangmei during her quest line)? Not as in-depth as what's going to be in 3, sure, but you could sort of see the beginnings of such a concept. And in a way, Shenmue 1 and 2 both had branching paths, normally caused by failing QTEs or talking to certain people who lead Ryo in a certain direction. This just sounds like a full implementation of something they probably wanted to include on Disc 4 in Shenmue 2, but didn't have enough time to do so. I too, am really excited to see more branching paths in Shenmue 3, but this isn't something entirely new to Shenmue, to be honest.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Himuro » Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:53 pm

It's mostly really only experimented with in disc 4. DIsc 4 is pretty much a Shenmue III preview. If you talk about Nozomi a lot, or bring up the fact she's a woman friend, Shenhua eventually gets jealous for instance.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby NeoShredder » Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:53 pm

Loosely translated from the Spanish interview:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=48828
no juego a otros titulos, asi que no sabria decirte. Idealmente, los cambios no solo influirian en las conversaciones, sino tambien en las misiones y los eventos.

[Rapport system, like in the Witcher?] I do not play other titles, so I would not know. Ideally, changes would influence not only talks, but also in missions and events.

NeoShredder has received a thanks from: Switch
NeoShredder
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

PSN: NeoShredder5
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Return to Shenmue III