Yu Suzuki : a new interview about Shenmue III incoming !

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Yu Suzuki : a new interview about Shenmue III incoming !

Postby Supa » Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:03 pm

shenmue852 wrote:Please ask and advocate for the option to play with Japanese audio and English subtitles. Will it be possible to play the game this way?

Please express to Mr. Suzuki that a huge proportion of fans played Shenmue II this way, preferred it, and want to play Shenmue III this way, and are passionate about this to the extent that they even made a mod for the first Shenmue with JPN audio and English subs. But mods are buggy, and since these are people who've been into Shenmue and waited this long, and the Japanese audio and English subs would be produced anyway, it doesn't hurt to put the option in- the amount of money in filesize it would save not to include audio that has already been recorded that many fans strongly prefer wouldn't be worth how upsetting it would be to fans who have already been waiting over a decade for their game.

It sucks there are people who generalize the fan base just to get what they want. Sure, there are people who prefer the original dub, but there are also others who prefer to have an English dub, and I am one of them. No point in dramatizing your point by saying he'd upset the fans by not doing it your way. Sheesh.

I also upvote these questions:

joka wrote:What I'd be interested to know is will Shenmue 3 differ from Yu's original vision for the game at all? Specifically storywise (e.g. adding or removing characters, story arcs etc.) And if he could elaborate on why if so.

Will the White Leaf and the Mysterious Scroll be in Ryo's inventory in Shenmue III? What about photos of Nozomi, Fangmei and Joy?

Amir wrote:What is the AI Battling stretch goal? I asked about this and the High Ground Battle System during the 2nd Twitter Q&A and he responded that the latter involved some chain reaction system which put images of rolling boulders or something down hills in my head, but I still don't understand what AI Battling is.

murdiaries wrote: Is it motion capture being used for all animations, including in game chars and npcs?

sand4fish wrote:What FREE combat system have you planned for Shenmue 3? Are we expecting something as deep and complex as Virtua Fighter 5?

johnvivant wrote:-In Shenmue 3 will we still be able to open cupboards and looks through draws?

-In Shennmue 3 will be still be able to pick up many objects and examine them, even if those objects aren’t directly related to the story or quest - like in the previous games?

-Will Shenmue 3 have a proper Virtua Fighter style free-battle system?

-Could you clarify your comments about the size of each of the villages. You made a comparison between the size of Dobuita in Shenmue 1 to the size of the locations in Shenmue 3. Will each village have at least the scale and depth of Dobuita from Shenmue 1?

-How big is Choubu by comparison with Dobuita from Shenmue 1?

-Does the rapport system imply that the overall plot-line will vary based the players actions? or will the overall plot-line remain the same regardless? For example will having a bad relationship with one of the characters make them turn against you, or remove them for the rest of the story completely?

-Will Shenhua be a regular companion throughout the whole Shenmue 3? i.e. will she actually be walking around with us like in disc 4 of Shenmue 2. And will her company be optional for the player?

-In Shenmue 3 will you be including an option for the player to choose which language dub and subtitle options they prefer?

-If Sega does release HD remastered ports of Shenmue 1+2 will the save transfer system be compatible with Shenmue 3?

While I would like to know about spoilery Shenmue III stuff, I left all of that out as I would prefer to find out in game.

Supa has received a thanks from: DEVILLE_David
Supa
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby DEVILLE_David » Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:46 pm

Hi guys !

I am gathering all your questions and will pick up the best ones based on popularity. I am going to check if some questions weren't already in previous interviews to avoid wasting time.

Seems like people are often asking about the scroll, leaf and the "boat" chapter so far. If that's possible I will ask about that. We still have time so go ahead and write down your questions whenever you want to.

Thanks for your support guys, really appreciated !

DEVILLE_David has received 2 thanks from: Amir, shenmue852
DEVILLE_David
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: RavanaEX
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: God of War

Postby Hyo Razuki » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:51 pm

The Saturn-Shenmue theme is so awesome. I hope we'll get to hear it in S3.

About the dub-switching/English subtitle with JAP dub thing... A lot of games let you choose between different subtitles but I am not aware of any game with as much voice output as a Shenmue game which let's you choose between different dubs. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to be given that option but is it really so easy to do from a development point of view? Also, would that mean that one could alter the dub at any point in game or just from the main menu, or maybe even only before starting a new game?

All of this is a bit unclear to me. Also, given the massive amount of voice output Shenmue games have, it seems unlikely to me that they would make it possible to choose between two dubs. I also think that this issue is overrated, since most die hard Shenmuers, including myself, will import the Japanese version anyway, so they will definitely get to play the game with the Japanese dub.
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby johnvivant » Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:48 pm

i thought of some more questions:

-Will the backer exclusive ‘calling card DLC’ involve multiple conversations with the characters from the previous games (especially Nozomi) rather than just one conversation?
-During these 'calling card' conversations will Ryo be mentioning any of the events occurring in Shenmue 3?

-Can you confirm whether or not the majority of Sega IP capsule toys from the previous games will be returning in Shenmue 3?

-In Shenmue 3 will each area, shop and building have its own musical theme like in the previous games?

-In Shenmue 3 will there be a cut-scene during the 7pm night time transitions like in the previous games?

-In Shenmue 3 will there be loading screens between areas and also upon entering a building like in the previous games?

-Whats happening with the paypal campaign? (If its not already active by the the time of the interview)

-In Shenmue 3 will Ryo still generally have an 11:00pm curfew?

-In Shenmue 3 will fans be able - for the first time - to see directly the rising and setting of the sun in the Shenmue universe?

johnvivant has received a thanks from: DEVILLE_David
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby The_Intruder » Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:18 pm

Ask Yu Suzuki if Shenhua, Ren and Xiuying Hong Japanese voice actor from Shenmue 2 will be back for Shenmue 3?

The_Intruder has received a thanks from: DEVILLE_David
The_Intruder
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Jann-Lee1999
Currently playing: Zelda:Breath of the wild

Postby Sh3ppy » Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:53 pm

Supa wrote:
It sucks there are people who generalize the fan base just to get what they want. Sure, there are people who prefer the original dub, but there are also others who prefer to have an English dub, and I am one of them. No point in dramatizing your point by saying he'd upset the fans by not doing it your way.

Bit harsh I think. Don't think he's saying they should release it purely with Japanese dub, but if there's a way to get them both, it would be nice to have the option. I would also prefer it that way, but can appreciate it might not be possible. If that's the case, then so be it, but it's a fair question I think.
Sh3ppy
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PSN: rambleon11

Postby Sh3ppy » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:09 pm

Hyo Razuki wrote: The Saturn-Shenmue theme is so awesome. I hope we'll get to hear it in S3.

About the dub-switching/English subtitle with JAP dub thing... A lot of games let you choose between different subtitles but I am not aware of any game with as much voice output as a Shenmue game which let's you choose between different dubs. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to be given that option but is it really so easy to do from a development point of view? Also, would that mean that one could alter the dub at any point in game or just from the main menu, or maybe even only before starting a new game?

All of this is a bit unclear to me. Also, given the massive amount of voice output Shenmue games have, it seems unlikely to me that they would make it possible to choose between two dubs. I also think that this issue is overrated, since most die hard Shenmuers, including myself, will import the Japanese version anyway, so they will definitely get to play the game with the Japanese dub.

Do you really think it would be that complicated to add an option in the main menu (or wherever is easiest) giving players the option? It's a genuine question as I know zip about developing a game like Shenmue. Like you say, the amount of voice output will be very high, but I don't necessarily see that as being the stumbling block, if there is one.

I also would have no issue with importing a Japanese copy, but would you think the subs would have to be added as a mod on PC or do you speak/understand Japanese? Genuinely curious about this.
Sh3ppy
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PSN: rambleon11

Postby strider16 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:10 pm

:shock:

I would like to ask him a LOT of questions, about everything, nothing only Shenmue 3, if possible... #-o , and with the none or very few spoilers. Sorry for my garbled English... :oops:

In the omake from Shenmue 2, in some reports, some older interviews, and even in the promo for S3, former staff members usually talked about that job as a very perfeccionist one, with high level requirements. Did Yu got to head the team in a easygoing way or being more like a Steve Jobs as usually portrayed (sometimes agressive)? How much different was to producing a game like Shenmue from producing a Virtua Fighter?

In the past, the AM2 team was well known as the technical excelence side of Sega R&D, helping Yu to pushing boundaries in a very consistent pace, and being true innovators for the gaming industry as a whole. Shenmue itself was the flagcarrier of these technical achievements. Will Shenmue 3 pursue such things too?

How different will be producing and directing a game in a small studio instead of a big company? Some key staff members were well known for other works in Sega, some of them are still there, some don't. How much confident are Yu about recruiting them for this work? Is there someone he would like to work with, but probably wont?

I would ask a few non-Shenmue questions... and returning to them later.

Yu left Sega, but is still a consultant. Did Yu leave someone to carry the flag?

A lot of good staff left Sega. What do he think about Sega as it is now?

How attached is Yu to his previous franchises? Do Yu are still having ideas for Virtua Fighter?... WHEN IS VF6? Persuade Sega to release it for PC, please!!!! [-o<

It was known that Harada from Namco had approached Sega for a eventual crossover VFxTekken, and since it isn't was successful, they partnered to Capcom. As a fighter gamer, that was a bummer... What Yu think about it?

If Yu could change something in the way that Shenmue was developed in the saturn and dreamcast era, what would it be?

Since Shenmue is a saga being produced for decades, and having since the beginning planned for a lot of different platforms, it is natural that some of the script had to be modified due to new possibilites or constraints; it was said before that there is a script which is fundamental since the beginning. It is great to have this flexibility to add or cut as needed (for example, the ship chapter)... How much of the script won't be used in games? When the script was closed for further edition? It was? Is there a single ending possible or are Yu making choices right now?

Shenmue I and II were being developed at same time, or in a continuum; I suppose that since the saturn the project were always under working. Was Shenmue III being produced at the ending of S2? If yes, how much of it?

How different will Shenmue III will be from, lets, say, a hipotetical S3 developed for xbox?

I finished Shenmue II and I had the impression that the game would take a more magical and fantastic routing, departing a little from the "physical" reality; later I saw the videos from Shenmue Online, and somehow my impression was not so far from this game never released. Even later I watched the Project Berkley promo and powerful explosions were there. Will Shenmue III have something fantastic as this?
Oh, that was a bad question, I don't want spoilers but... "!!!!! ](*,)

Was Shenmue Online planned to end the saga?

When kickstarter was announced, I really wished that it would end the saga, and I was surprised to know that Yu is really very ambitious, and will not end this saga in this game, for storytelling sake. I know that this is the real deal, that is what I want for a Shenmue game, but... what is the maximum predicted game, if the game is a success, or a huge success, or a game of the century? S4? S5?

The big hiatus in the development of the third game will have great influence over it? Would Yu want to make it different somehow, but having the need to make it a little more familiar than originally intended? If Shenmue I & II were released in HD, it would interfere in development of S3, due to no need to flashback?

A big thank you for David, for having this time to listen to us, and a big thank you for Yu!

strider16 has received a thanks from: DEVILLE_David
strider16
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Currently playing: Portal Stories: Mel

Postby Jesse » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:00 pm

Has he considered changing parts of the story because it's been 14 years since two and his thoughts or feelings may have changed since all those years ago?

Who's the Jacky Bryant esque looking character in shenmue online?

Did he ever consider making a spin off game where you play as one of the main characters in the game in between the main series? ( Example: playing as gui zhang after his injury in between 2 and 3 )

How many months or years does the series stretch? Such as does it make it to 1988 or possibly beyond.

Any chance of seeing nozomi or any of the other shenmue 1 (aside from lan di or through flashbacks lol) characters in future installments?

Jesse has received a thanks from: DEVILLE_David
Jesse
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: Jrockstr

Postby shenmue852 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:51 pm

Sh3ppy wrote:
Supa wrote:
It sucks there are people who generalize the fan base just to get what they want. Sure, there are people who prefer the original dub, but there are also others who prefer to have an English dub, and I am one of them. No point in dramatizing your point by saying he'd upset the fans by not doing it your way.

Bit harsh I think. Don't think he's saying they should release it purely with Japanese dub, but if there's a way to get them both, it would be nice to have the option. I would also prefer it that way, but can appreciate it might not be possible. If that's the case, then so be it, but it's a fair question I think.

Yeah I never once said there shouldn't be an English dub, and I don't think most people would ask for something that's against the wishes of some of the fans- but we deserve the same courtesy. Although I'm usually anti English dub, in this case I'm pro Corey Marshall all the way. Whether they do an English dub or not is a completely separate issue of its own, unrelated to whether they can just sync the English subtitles to the original recorded tracks- this option doesn't threaten the possibility of an English dub, that just depends on their own budget. I just want the option to play it with the JPN audio and English text, it's a hugely important issue for many, especially those who played Shenmue II in JPN and really liked it. I don't see any conflict between the two camps, but I felt that a community driven game shouldn't remove the JPN audio track which some localized games have done because they assume everyone wants to play the game with the English audio track just because they produced it. Perhaps they could offer an alternative audio track as DLC if they absolutely don't have the file size for both? It just seems like a very reasonable thing to ask for given that it's already produced. It's not significant extra expenditure, and there's already evidence that a sizable part of the community wants to play it this way.
Last edited by shenmue852 on Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
shenmue852
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby shenmue852 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:52 pm

I also think it's worth asking if he'd consider using VF5 resources for the battle system, if Sega would license those. They built Yakuza on Shenmue technology, and it'd cost them nothing to allow use of VF and Yakuza resources.

shenmue852 has received a thanks from: DEVILLE_David
shenmue852
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Yokosuka » Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:01 pm

Since I listened multiple times Yu saying (even before Shenmue 3 announcement) he found fighting games (including his own) way too hardcore and regretting they focus on reflexes rather "decision", I don't believe completely about a Virtua Fighter game system.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby shenmue852 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:06 pm

I wonder what he means by decision specifically then. It sounds quite curious.
shenmue852
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby shenmue852 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:10 pm

Sh3ppy wrote:
Hyo Razuki wrote: The Saturn-Shenmue theme is so awesome. I hope we'll get to hear it in S3.

Do you really think it would be that complicated to add an option in the main menu (or wherever is easiest) giving players the option? It's a genuine question as I know zip about developing a game like Shenmue. Like you say, the amount of voice output will be very high, but I don't necessarily see that as being the stumbling block, if there is one.

I also would have no issue with importing a Japanese copy, but would you think the subs would have to be added as a mod on PC or do you speak/understand Japanese? Genuinely curious about this.

A mod would take a lot of time to produce. A separate edition is definitely possible though. Especially with digital, where they don't have to commit to manufacturing a separate batch of units but just set up a download for those willing to pay for it.

As for file size, yes Shenmue has a lot of audio, but I'm pretty sure that compression and storage have exponentially developed since the first Shenmue was made.

I disagree that everyone can afford to import it from Japan, and those that don't speak and read fluent Japanese but nonetheless prefer the original audio will need English text.
Last edited by shenmue852 on Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shenmue852
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Yokosuka » Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:12 pm

shenmue852 wrote: I wonder what he means by decision specifically then. It sounds quite curious.

Yu Suzuki : "Modern fighting games are too complicated, too “hardcore”, overly attracting. Those factors definitely limit the audience, because even fewer people are playing them, and at this rate the genre can sink into oblivion. That’s why I support a more simple approach to gaming.

[...]

Difficulty in fighting games is usually based on the requirements for accurate reaction and memorization of combinations. Which means that you need to accurately calculate the timing, and flawlessly press buttons. But I would like to make a win dependant on how a gamer thinks. To make him think, like, “If I hit with an arm now, and then kick with a leg, I could win.”

I want to make a win based on making the right decisions. And because of that the battle system in fighting games is still imperfect. Even in Virtua Fighter. If you're not able to press a button in the exact moment, and because of that you lose, the problem is not in your wrong decision. The game just set the task of reaction for you. Did you accomplish or fail the combination – this is on what a win depends. It would be better to attach a sensor on the gamer, so all his thoughts could be instantly and flawlessly implemented by the character on screen. That would definitely be a battle of decisions and be true fighting action in a good sense, not thanks to blood and violence. For example, suitable for this could be sensors that measure alpha waves in the brain. And it's not a distant future, people have already been working successfully in such a direction for a long time. There are people, for example, who have microchips that can control heart function. Of course, I doubt that someone will insert something inside of them for games, but if they can stick something temporarily onto them – why not? Another example in this direction is Kinect from Xbox 360. So we don't have to wait much longer and there'll be a time for new realistic fighting games.
"

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=46577

Yokosuka has received a thanks from: shenmue852
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III