Dorimaga 2001 Interview w/ Yu Suzuki & others

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Dorimaga 2001 Interview w/ Yu Suzuki & others

Postby fittersau » Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:09 pm

Ziming wrote: Image

It's amazing that the story was so fleshed out back then. I suspect we'll see Niao Sun towards the end of Shenmue 3.
fittersau
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby johnvivant » Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:21 pm

i wouldn't mind betting that the 'whole lot of extra content' that was added 'right at the end of development' was the Guilin chapter. I'm just speculating here, but i think that Suzuki suspected that if he concluded shenmue 2 with the roof top fight there wouldn't be as strong demand for the sequel than if he extended it to the Guilin cliff hanger ending.
he must have been fully aware of the precarious nature of getting the go ahead from sega for a 3rd game, and a huge cliff hanger ending was bound to create huge anticipation for the sequel. it maybe tormenting for the fans doing it this way especially if shen 3 never happened but an ingenious move for ensuring fan demand and loyalty.

johnvivant has received a thanks from: Giorgio
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Three Blades » Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:17 pm

My guess as to why the Guillin chapter was moved to Shenmue 2:
I think it's because it would have made a poor way to begin a game. Imagine wanting to re-play Shenmue 3 for a second play through, and having to walk/talk for 3 hours at the beginning. If you just want to get to the meat of the game, it would have been kind of boring!
Whereas, at the end of Shenmue 2, it's more like an extended ending that you can a really play rather than just watch. It fits much better at the end of a game than at the beginning.
You can tell that it was supposed to be Shenmue 3 though, because it starts on a boat (like Shenmue2), and starts with Ryo having a flashback to a cutscene that we've just seen...

Also, he probably wanted to introduce Shenhua and the Shenmue tree I guess.
Three Blades
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Yokosuka » Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:16 am

I don't think it would have been boring. Beginning slowly is typically a Shenmue thing with a gameplay based on exploration in the first hours before the story flies away.

I was really surprised to learn that the Guilin part was not really intended to be included in Shenmue 2 because they've shown Shenhua in so many early beta trailers as if this chapter was a guaranteed thing.

On an artistic way, adding an epilogue looked completely complementary to the story and fundamental to give the game the extra thing it needs to reach the masterpiece status rather than give the players a reason to become definite fans and never give up the franchise prior the incoming dark clouds.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Three Blades » Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:23 am

It's not boring, it's fascinating, but too guided and scripted and long for a beginning to a new game.
I know it would have annoyed me on my 3rd or 4th play through if I wanted to start a new file. It would have always been "that thing you have to get through before it really starts".
But as it is now, as an ending, it's my favorite part. It definitely fits better as an ending because you mostly just sit back and watch/listen. But it's such a great ending, because it's also the beginning of so many new things. It was the perfect tease for Shenmue3. Putting it at the end of Shenmue 2 was a very good decision.

Three Blades has received a thanks from: johnvivant
Three Blades
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby SegaMon » Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:46 am

Amazing interview. Thanks for the work put in translating it. It makes me sad that Shenmue 2 was not released on the Dreamcast in the US and that that the sales were not better. Then we could have gotten Shenmue 3 many years ago. No need for tears, though; Shenmue 3 is coming in 2017!
SegaMon
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Currently playing: Zelda: Skyward Sword

Postby Phong » Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:51 pm

This is great!

I have some more scans of articles from Japanese magazines around that time, if any translators are interested. I posted them in large format 600 DPI in this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=48816
Phong
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Switch » Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:11 pm

Phong wrote: This is great!

I have some more scans of articles from Japanese magazines around that time, if any translators are interested. I posted them in large format 600 DPI in this thread:

http://shenmuedojo.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=48816

Thanks! I've also posted your message to the Translation requests thread.

Switch has received a thanks from: Phong
Switch
News Poster
News Poster

Previous

Return to Shenmue III