Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Re: Tokyo Otaku Mode interview with Yu Suzuki

Postby ShenSun » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:38 pm

Very good interview.

Thank goodness we have a developer that doesnt copy others. Shenmue 3 should be amazing.

Shenhua to fall for Ren confirmed lol :)
ShenSun
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby amiga1200 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:45 pm

^^ agreed! :P
still trying to wrap my skull around it happenin...:mrgreen:
thanks for the update.
amiga1200
Banned
Banned

Location: Third space 3Avatar class heavy battleship, Damocles
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: with gravimetric drives

Postby Zoltor » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:02 pm

A big damn difference from AJ updates/interviews huh. Thank my lucky stars, a interview with info that makes actual sense(interesting concept, huh), and that doesn't make Yu look like he's contradicting stuff he said in the past.

Yu is not condensing the story, at most, if funding is a problem, he's be changing the format of the scene(s) that are to tell the story(aka making a scene more of a movie, then a interactive scene). Now this makes actual sense, and I'm more then fine with that(ofcourse I would rather a interactive event/scene, but you need to do, what you need to do). Although I must say, I hope cutscenes/so called movies, still use the game engine to do them, and not be literally CG movies(considering the more of a movie take on such, would be done to cut costs, I'm thinking it will be all using the game engine, so not too worried about that)

A lot of stuff we knew, but he goes into great detail on stuff: News flash, Ryo is going to be a wuse when it comes to interaction with the opposite sex in this game too lol, surprising Isn't it.

He explains the skill tree more, but unless you never played a diablo clone, MMO or whatnot before, we all knew how this would work anyway.

Now, this is big news however, there are going to basically be 5 paths in the game, literally 5 story arcs(oh boy, It's great for Shenmue 3, but I hope Yu realizes this will make the creation of Shenmue 4 all the more difficult).

Furthermore, the character perspective system is going to play a major role throughout the game, It's not a only for a simple specific event or quest here, and there.

He also reconfirms(he said this in a earlier interview, but many might of missed it), that each of the characters will have different options open to them for handling a situation, then the other characters would have. He also restates his desire to show off how each character views the world. He also gives more detail about how he plans to go about adding depth to each char(with giving examples of how Shenhua would react to Ren differently then Ryo would. We knew this too, but It's good he restated it, each character will have different abilities altogether(which really is one of the aspects that ties into the fact, they would be taking on different problems in a different way, well that, and the fact they have different ways at looking at something.

Hm as soon as Ithe character perspective system was first announce, I was wondering this, but now I think It's pretty much a sure bet. I can see Shenhua using that Sword of hers, don't get me wrong, I don't think she'll ever be running into situations like some berserker, I think she'll be more about puzzle solving, and and using abilities, like sixth dense type abilities, but still, some times you just have to fight.

Lol am I the only one who forsees Shenhua crawling through vents?

I see Ren as more of a stealth/assassin type of character, with probally thief abilities to pick locks

Ryo is Ryo.

This sounds like It's going to be so awesome :)
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby amiga1200 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:12 am

translation is far from perfect in many cases:
1, any language to any language via conversion, a typical sentence.
2, reverse the translation through the same language converter, and it ALWAYS ends up far from the source. (human locales are virtually a form of encryption, where even the experts don't have the true security/DECRYPTION key. an ongoing process it seems?!)
i get it, the fault lies with the non-japanese speaking/reading world, and rightly so. :P
i mean, we don't have our own inbuilt rosetta stone, and thus, rely on other to translate for some of us, a FAIR price to pay. (in some cases, interpolate..and interpret, NOT the same as translate or better still, true 1/1 key conversion.)
afaic, take it all at face value, due to my reliance on others putting time in to translate the language. (and oggle/online translation UI's not at all reliable.)
any update, is way better that no update, even if some misfire and misinterpret what the true source intent was.
i'm not knocking it, i can't read or translate japanese to english... :P
amiga1200
Banned
Banned

Location: Third space 3Avatar class heavy battleship, Damocles
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: with gravimetric drives

Postby SMDzero » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:46 am

TOM: The previous part ended in a cave, right?

S: Which is exactly why 3 will start from searching Bailu village. I don't know what the hell I was smoking when I came up with that sequence in the cave so it's best to ignore it ever happened.

TOM: What?

S: Well I had to come up with a crazy cliffhanger to make people want Shenmue 3. I thought over these 14 years I'd find a way to explain that floating sword and giant mirrors but I just couldn't think of anything.

SMDzero has received a thanks from: Nahovil
SMDzero
Banned
Banned

Postby Zoltor » Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:05 am

SMDzero wrote: TOM: The previous part ended in a cave, right?

S: Which is exactly why 3 will start from searching Bailu village. I don't know what the hell I was smoking when I came up with that sequence in the cave so it's best to ignore it ever happened.

TOM: What?

S: Well I had to come up with a crazy cliffhanger to make people want Shenmue 3. I thought over these 14 years I'd find a way to explain that floating sword and giant mirrors but I just couldn't think of anything.

I'm so not a fan of the whole, staring Shenmue 3 at the start of getting to Guilin move, Yu has been spouting off since the start of the E3 announcement though.

A lot of stuff happened, you can't really erase what's done.

Look yu, you made your bed, and now you must lay in it, suck it up already. However I must say It's good to see you admit you were high, but you were high during the creation of the entire Shenmue 2 game(No sober person would put as much effort as you did, on even scenes that are borderline impossible for anyone to ever discover, that you did. Infact by all means, keep smoking whatever it was, you were smoking when you made Shenmue 2), so don't try to use that as a excuse for the ending lol.
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Kiske » Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:59 am

Thank you for this very interesting interview Yokosuka!

Very surprised to read that Yu Suzuki isn't into actually playing games!

He's got a precise vision of what he wants and where he wants to push gaming limits.

Couldn't be more excited about Shenmue 3 right now!
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby Lan Di-sama » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:10 am

I hope nobody is actually interpreting that as meaning Shenmue III is starting before the events of the stone pit and will omit that segment altogether.
Lan Di-sama
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Giorgio » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:19 am

Best interview of Yu Suzuki since ages.

Some of my most interesting/favourite quotes:

[...] for Shenmue 3 they were cheering as if a deceased child just came back to life (laughs). It was like witnessing a supernatural phenomenon, something resurrecting from the deepest depths of the underworld.

Among the characteristics of Shenmue, there are the keywords of “nostalgy” and “the presence of everydays.” I’m not planning on doing anything grandiose, I just want to draw out the interestingness that lies concealed behind the curtains of everydays.

I want to include developments with a sense of distance and atmosphere in mind, such as when a character couldn’t say what he/she wanted to due to influences of the moment and workings of the heart.

It proves once again that Shenmue's spirit is about the quality of everydays in mind and in heart, with real world standards, serving entertainment more as a lifelike experience, while maintaining refreshing moments in due time with action and mini-games.

phpBB [video]
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: Yakuza series

Postby Yokosuka » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:21 am

Lan Di-sama wrote: I hope nobody is actually interpreting that as meaning Shenmue III is starting before the events of the stone pit and will omit that segment altogether.

That's a really weird answer from Yu though. Why "searching" a place that Shenhua knows and that is very close to her house ? He uses this verb two times + "oops I said it" but maybe the former Japanese word has a very large meaning.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Lan Di-sama » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:32 am

A lot of Shenmue's gameplay revolved around searching for things. After the event at the stone pit, the next logical course of action would be to search Bailu Village for some sort of answer as to what exactly is going on.
Lan Di-sama
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby johnvivant » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:33 am

doesn't the 'magic realism' genre often involve characters accepting and to some extent 'brushing over' supernatural and magical events as if they were normal? this genre therefore allows for inconsistency in regards to the amount of surprise the characters express to these events. hyper rationalist types will hate it, but i don't mind. its art dammit!

- so does 5 story lines mean that there are 5 possible ending states for the game, 5 different branching choices?
- it looks like Suzuki's concepts for character perspective in shenmue 3 were way ahead of mass effect.
- by automatic creation i assume he means procedural generation. interesting he never used this method for npc creation like modern games do. i actual prefer it that he didn't because manually created characters have so much more depth.
- i agree with the interviewer, Suzuki games are so great because he doesn't get overly influenced by other peoples games, which often allows him to create something entirely original. he's more of an artist who just wants to express something that he discovered outside of games.
Last edited by johnvivant on Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Zoltor » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:34 am

Lan Di-sama wrote: I hope nobody is actually interpreting that as meaning Shenmue III is starting before the events of the stone pit and will omit that segment altogether.

Well, Yu has been stating that he's just going to make us restart the Guilin segment, and go from there, from pretty much ever since the E3 announcement.

As for this interview, makes it sound like he's going to rewrite the end of the stone pit segment altogether as well sigh.
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Yokosuka » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:41 am

Kiske wrote: Thank you for this very interesting interview Yokosuka!

Very surprised to read that Yu Suzuki isn't into actually playing games!

He's got a precise vision of what he wants and where he wants to push gaming limits.

Couldn't be more excited about Shenmue 3 right now!

Yep, Yu has never been a real gamer in his whole life.

From my experience, I know that the best talents (especially in art) are those who are the most dispassionate people because they only focus on the most profound human yearnings and create directly with the existing tools whatever the others do or did, which are usually boring for them.

@Lan Di-sama : Like in Shenmue 2, I think we will face forest mazes again because of the storm damages. Maybe an early occasion to see the new Ryo's climbing abilities.

Yokosuka has received a thanks from: NeoShredder
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Next

Return to Shenmue III