New Famitsu Interview with Yu (Sept 8th)

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: New Famitsu Interview with Yu (Sept 8th)

Postby Hyo Razuki » Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:55 am

Thanks for the great translation, Switch!
I voted Shenhua! What's wrong with you guys? Voting Nozomi? Or even Ryo, who's the main character anyway? :P Shenhua is a huge mysterium and a key character and I'm really curious how her story will pan out.

I voted Ryo because there are so many great characters I would have liked to go further into detail on. Ren, Guizhang, Shenhua, Lan Di, Yamagishi-San, Nozomi, Jianmin, Xiuying, Guixiang, Iwao and so forth. I just couldn't decide on one and since I had to decide on one I voted Ryo because he seemed the most "neutral" choice of all.

Don't know if this makes sense, but that's why I voted Ryo. :roll: :mrgreen:
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby johnvivant » Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:53 pm

how awkward will it be starting up shenmue 4 having a messed up affinity with Shenhua?!
hopefully she's kidnapped and therefore we won't have to suffer the awkwardness of her dislike.

i'm really fascinated about how this will be eventually implemented.

these features will make for some amazing replay value. by the time shenmue 4 comes out i'll probably have half a dozen clear files with different choices/affinities. its going to be difficult to choose which one to start with.

as always i'll try to get everyone to like me. i wonder if gaining their liking is the most beneficial circumstance or might there be benefits for having bad affinities.

affinity system just for main characters or also npcs? - be rude to a shop keeper and he refuses to serve you.
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby DEVILLE_David » Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:12 pm

Interesting first part, thanks for the translation !
DEVILLE_David
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: RavanaEX
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: God of War

Postby James Brown » Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:11 pm

Yeah, I hope Yu doesn't judge so much on his characters based on that poll, we literally all tried to vote for characters that probably wouldn't realistically be making a return so that Yu doesn't forget about these characters, and too be fair, we got the phone call feature out of it. However if he's taken that into account that we don't really like Shenhua or Xuiying for example, that's completely untrue. He hasn't infact mentioned Xuiying at all since he was shocked in the countdown stream at her coming like last in the poll. Her story was quite pivotal in the direction the game seemed to be going in terms of her brother Ziming...so I hope that he doesn't rely on the fans input too much.

Another thing I realised whilst reading the start of this interview, how alot of chat about how Japanese fans struggled to pledge on a fully english site like Kickstarter...if there was a Japanese alternative site, would it not have been plausable at the time to have both running at the same time. So not only would he have generated 6.5 mil from the english targetted fan base, he could potentially have doubled the overall funding for the game if the Japanese fan base did the same on a Japanese funding website - and because of this would have hit the max stretch goal Yu wanted for the full on shenmue experience. Yet now he sounds like he's chopping and changing based on the funding from Kickstarter alone...and without even considering the potential funding from Paypal. This could have been better, but ofc as we all say, in Yu we trust, so I have no doubts. It's just something that struck me when reading about the Japanese fan base struggle.
James Brown
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

XBL: skilljimmeh
Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby strider16 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:47 pm

James Brown wrote:He hasn't infact mentioned Xuiying at all since he was shocked in the countdown stream at her coming like last in the poll. Her story was quite pivotal in the direction the game seemed to be going in terms of her brother Ziming...so I hope that he doesn't rely on the fans input too much.

This. But in Yu we trust, he can put some fan service in game, as the phone call, but I believe his commitment with the saga will overcome the "fanbase blindness" about the really important things, like Xuiying.

I'm already getting hype!

Thanks for the translation! Real good job!
strider16
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Currently playing: Portal Stories: Mel

Postby Yokosuka » Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:26 pm

Of course he won't rely on this poll. This will probably only concern some additional flashbacks. The story is already written, only details like sub-quests can be changed at least. Do you really think Yu will take the risk to ruin his script for that ?
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Zoltor » Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:37 pm

Yokosuka wrote: Of course he won't rely on this poll. This will probably only concern some additional flashbacks. The story is already written, only details like sub-quests can be changed at least. Do you really think Yu will take the risk to ruin his script for that ?

Yea exactly.

I suspect we haven't seen the last of Xuiying.
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Himuro » Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:49 pm

For what it's worth, I voted for Xiuying. I could not understand how a character like Tom got more votes than Xiuying. :-s
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Zoltor » Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:54 pm

Himuro wrote: For what it's worth, I voted for Xiuying. I could not understand how a character like Tom got more votes than Xiuying. :-s

Yea I know, I was confused as all hell about that, Tom...really?

Seriously characters like Tom, Joy, and Nozomi shouldn't be in the list at all, nevermind taking up spaced that should belong to great character like Shenhua/Xuiying.
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Himuro » Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:56 pm

Nozomi is a great character. Joy and Tom are pretty weak.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Yokosuka » Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:09 pm

Even if you dislike them, it's easy to find positives points about each character (apart Chai lol) and understand their popularity.

As said above, it's vain to interpret this poll in some way. Xiuying is maybe not the absolute favorite character of the mass but if it has been a three-choices poll, she would certainly have ranked very high.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Himuro » Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:17 pm

Yeah, I see why someone would vote for Tom or Joy.

But Chai.

[-X
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Switch » Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:35 pm

Kiske wrote:Is it me or the japanese interviews to Yu Suzuki are a lot more enjoyable and sound more "genuine" compared to interviews from occidental medias? :-o

Yeah, I remember in one of the other interviews previously, Yu said to the Japanese interviewer that it was so much easier to communicate in Japanese directly rather than having to go through an interpreter all the time. So I guess his relaxed self comes through a bit more. :D
Switch
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Sonoshee » Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:54 am

Amazing work as always Switch, I will update the newspost as you progress! Thank you!

Sonoshee has received a thanks from: Switch
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Switch » Sat Sep 12, 2015 6:21 pm

Here is a translation of the second part of the article, which turned out to be shorter than Part 1.

(Note: I have used the term "move scroll" in this article. This is the same thing as "technique scroll" from the English Kickstarter page).

What will Shenmue III be like? A post-Kickstarter interview with Yu Suzuki (Part 2/2)

Further evolution: not just for battles and QTEs, but also part-time jobs

Q: I'd like to ask in detail about battles. The "move scrolls" system (items which can be obtained by various means during the game. Once obtained, you are able to use new moves) has already been announced; will there be any other new elements?

YS: Regarding what form battles should take, I'm planning to design their structure while being mindful of the budget, among other things. The graphics engine and power of expression are completely different now compared to those of the past, so I'd like to create battles that are fitting for the current era. For the battles in Shenmue 1 and 2, I used the Virtua Fighter 2 engine. Since I made Virtua Fighter, I was able to make use of that knowledge, you see. Virtua Fighter was a one-on-one fighting game, with timing being important, so it wasn't immediately suitable for use for Shenmue-style battles. I had to make a lot of modifications. However, this time I will be creating battles to suit Shenmue 3 right from the beginning. I'm aiming for straightforward but exhilarating battles in which the action is the main highlight, not battles which are made up of extremely detailed physics.

Q: Depending on the choices you make with Character Perspective, will you be able to control Ren in battle?

YS: That hasn't been decided, since it would take a lot of time to implement battles for multiple characters. But I also think that fighting a battle as Ren sounds interesting, so I can see where you're coming from. Ren's character especially is quite distinctive, so I have a feeling it would make for interesting battles.

Q: In Shenmue 2, Shenhua made dandelion seeds float into the air by holding up her hands. It appears that she has some mysterious powers. Does she ever use them for fighting?

YS: I'm thinking of showing a glimpse of that.

Q: Next, please tell us about QTEs. I think you could say that they are one of the things that define Shenmue, and are something that fans are anticipating. Will QTEs also have evolved in some way?

YS: You could think of it that way. Since Shenmue is where the QTE originated, I'm thinking “I must take them to the next level!". Having said that, the concept of being able to be enjoyed by anyone will remain unchanged. QTEs in Shenmue are designed so that if the player is unsuccessful, they will gradually become easier. I will continue to keep that user-friendly approach.

Q: After hearing your description, I hope some battle scenes can be revealed to the public as soon as possible.

YS: I also want to test the battles as early as possible. One of the things I'm looking forward to is how to best leverage the strengths of Unreal Engine for battles.

Now planning is in progress, which is of course is enjoyable, but since there are no visible results yet I am eager for hands-on interaction. I want to try actually walking and adjusting how the game feels based on my own sense when playing - for example, “Maybe I should make it a little bigger". Because even if the design specifies “2km x 2km", you don't know if that's truly an appropriate distance until you try playing.

Q: I think players would also like to know more about part-time jobs and minigames. Are the designs for these progressing?

YS: I'm thinking of having fishing as a part-time job. In the game, as mentioned a little earlier, move scrolls are an important item. Once you obtain a move scroll, that move becomes usable in battle. There are various ways to obtain move scrolls, but for those sold in weapons shops, naturally you won't be able to purchase them unless you have money. How you save money is up to each player, but you can earn money steadily through a part-time job or increase it instantly by gambling. However, you also need money in order to gamble, so I'm thinking of including fishing as a system for earning that initial capital. Both Bailu village and Choubu are in the country, so you'll be able to sell the fish you caught. In Shenmue 3, like I just talked about, various elements tie in together. Rather than buying a move scroll with the money you've earned, you may choose to buy a good fishing rod instead. Buying a good fishing rod will increase your chances of catching fish, making your fishing more effective.

Q: So what you do with the money you get is up to the player, isn't it. By the way, has a decision been made on whether forklifts will be included? (laughs)

YS: It's amazing how popular forklifts seem to be, isn't it. (laughs) That's still being considered.

Release far off, however monthly updates are planned until then

Q: Previously you mentioned being interested in online or downloadable content. Is there any plan to support these?

YS: I really want to be able to, but I have to be strict about the order of priority as to which elements should be included. I am concentrating firstly on offline, making a game that plays well from start to finish.

Q: As you have an interest in virtual reality (VR), did you try out a VR device at E3 or elsewhere?

YS: Yes, I did. That device is really interesting. In the past I have carried out experiments with VR at SEGA, and also have been involved in a VR project, so I have strong feelings toward VR. It made me think “Today's technology has come this far!", with all sorts of new possibilities being born. I'm deeply impressed. However Shenmue is a game that you play for a relatively long time, so I don't know whether VR is suitable. But it is a fascinating device.

Q: Approximately when will further information about Shenmue 3 be made public?

YS: I plan to put out information each month, a little at a time. Something like a “brief Shenmue update". This project has been possible only through everyone's support, so I want to report its progress. And at large events, I'd like to announce any news that's likely to be talked about.

Q: You've also mentioned that you want to incorporate opinions from the players, haven't you.

YS: I will be putting a system in place that allows backers to voice comments.

Q: This may be too soon to ask about, but when do you think a playable demo will become available?

YS: It's too early to talk about that (laughs). I think it will be much later on before we can deliver a playable demo. Likely after the start of 2017.

Q: I'm looking forward to the updates. And finally, could you give a message to the readers looking forward to Shenmue 3?

YS: My sincere thanks for your ongoing support for Shenmue up until now. It is thanks to all of you that we were able to achieve several records on Kickstarter. Since the site for the Kickstarter campaign was in English, I think it may have been difficult for some of you to participate, and so I am also planning to support PayPal. There are just over 2 years to go until the release of Shenmue 3. Thank you for your continued support.

End of article

Switch
News Poster
News Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III