We should really push for full voice acting

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

We should really push for full voice acting

Postby baconeel » Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:25 pm

First time poster, LONG time lurker.

Been reading a lot about what people are concerned about how the game will turn out, and one thing that really
alarmed me is that the fact that we don't know if Shenmue 3 will get full voice acting. This sort of scares me,
especially since I bought merchandise. I just can't imagine it being the full immersive Shenmue experience
without being able to talk to everyone, even little brats that just want you to drop everything and play (x) sport with them. ( Yeah, lemme just put AVENGING MY FATHER'S DEATH on hold and play soccer, rugby, badminton or whatever
with you, kid)

I don't know? Am I just nitpicky? I just really enjoyed that part of the game, bad US dub and all. I know in the end
we're just fans but I really think we should make it known that that's what we want (implying you care at all)

baconeel has received a thanks from: Mr357
baconeel
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Re: We should really push for full voice acting

Postby fittersau » Sat Sep 19, 2015 10:54 pm

I don't think we know enough to say whether there will be full voice acting or not.

I seriously doubt in Suzuki's plan there will not be a whole cast of voice actors for at least all the main characters. They just won't be big name seiyuu like Matsukaze has become now. Plus it makes no sense to try to get all the old cast back except perhaps for Lan Di. The reason is it's been 15 years since we first heard their voices. Over time many of the voice actor voices have matured in tone, even Matsukaze's voice is different. Women's voices can change quite dramatically and lose their youthfulness. Certainly Yasu Megumi won't sound the same.

Ren's seiyuu is MIA along with Shenhua so they will probably not reprise their roles. No big drama, both their voices can be mimicked comfortably by today's host of more cost effective young and age appropriate seiyuu in waiting.
Last edited by fittersau on Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fittersau
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Mr357 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:01 pm

I know it's much easier said than done, but relax and trust in Yu. He has no plans to let us down.
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby fittersau » Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:30 pm

Mr357 wrote: I know it's much easier said than done, but relax and trust in Yu. He has no plans to let us down.

Exactly. Even someone who is a big fan but is helping from the inside tweeted this.

https://twitter.com/CedricBiscay/status ... 8751656960

Cedric Biscay ‏@CedricBiscay Sep 18

Sorry in advance for the teasing but #shenmue3 will be amazing ! THE Genius is back !

I really like Cedric, not only does he love Shenmue and is helping bring the game to us, he's also a big fan of many of the other series I love like LIttle Big Adventure and Astroboy. He talks like a real fan of Shenmue.
fittersau
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Yokosuka » Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:50 pm

Completely agree with the OP.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Monkei » Sun Sep 20, 2015 2:11 am

I don't think you should push for anything. Let them do whatever they can do within their budget and be grateful that we're getting the game at all.
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Yokosuka » Sun Sep 20, 2015 2:17 am

Monkei wrote: I don't think you should push for anything. Let them do whatever they can do within their budget and be grateful that we're getting the game at all.

Suzuki currently thinks the forklift is highly asked by the fans. Some points need to be cleared. :P

Yokosuka has received a thanks from: Mr357
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Monkei » Sun Sep 20, 2015 2:37 am

Alright, I'll give you that :lol:
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby shredingskin » Sun Sep 20, 2015 5:34 am

In some of the resent interviews he said that they made an algorithm for doing the same lines sound different.

If they have this in mind, to this day it sounds fucking awesome (the different dialogue, not the VO).

If that it's not the case and means recording everything separate, then I say I don't care.

It was pretty damn awesome how SI did, if there's no dialogue stop the dialogue trigger, even then you can try again after walking around (fucking awesome if you think about adventure games, or rpgs that say the same shit again).

The dynamic facecams the game did are still (very) impresive, They are fucking dynamic, it kinda understands enviroments and who are you talking to (not nearby standers). Really it's still fucking incredible.

shredingskin has received a thanks from: Hyo Razuki
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby johnvivant » Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:24 am

re using the same lines in different situations was a great idea, and it definitely added to the games character but i'm not sure its appropriate for a modern game, at least it shouldn't be so obvious imo. data limitions on modern games aren't so strict so he might not need to, and i'm pretty sure corey marshall doesn't mind reading extra lines in a million different ways.

shredingskin wrote:
The dynamic facecams the game did are still (very) impresive, They are fucking dynamic, it kinda understands enviroments and who are you talking to (not nearby standers). Really it's still fucking incredible.

they could keep that dynamic camera code exactly the same for shenmue 3 and it would still be a million miles ahead of all other games out there. why don't other games have such an amazing dynamic camera during conversations?

as for full voice acting, i agree it should be the same. dialogue text boxes in shenmue? no thanks. but then again if thats all that can be afforded with the budget then, what can you do?
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby James Brown » Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:55 am

shredingskin wrote: In some of the resent interviews he said that they made an algorithm for doing the same lines sound different.

If they have this in mind, to this day it sounds fucking awesome (the different dialogue, not the VO).

If that it's not the case and means recording everything separate, then I say I don't care.

It was pretty damn awesome how SI did, if there's no dialogue stop the dialogue trigger, even then you can try again after walking around (fucking awesome if you think about adventure games, or rpgs that say the same shit again).

I might be wrong but I also think in the same interview he said that he saw other RPG''s at the time not voicing every character and he didn't like not hearing everyones voice, it broke the immersion...so I don't think not voicing certain characters is in his plans.
James Brown
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

XBL: skilljimmeh

Postby fittersau » Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:57 am

James Brown wrote:
shredingskin wrote: In some of the resent interviews he said that they made an algorithm for doing the same lines sound different.

I might be wrong but I also think in the same interview he said that he saw other RPG''s at the time not voicing every character and he didn't like not hearing everyones voice, it broke the immersion...so I don't think not voicing certain characters is in his plans.

That's exactly what Suzuki said and he made it a point to ensure Shenmue was one of the first games with an entire cast of actors with every character voice acted. It didn't matter if it was just a nobody you met on the street, they had a voice instead of typing sounds. Even the new Yakuza still doesn't have a fully voiced dialogue. Having said that, Suzuki's budget this time around is not as expansive as it was previously.
fittersau
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Giorgio » Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:26 am

Yu Suzuki has already said that full voice acting depends on the budget. Every extra treatment fans want depend on the budget.
I think we should be grateful the Kickstarter did not end in $2,000,000. With $2M Shenmue 3 would be like Telltale/David Cage games; just an interactive movie/story, without elements of open world (or F.R.E.E.) Of course, now, with the current badge, we won't get the maximum level of openness. However, personally I'm 800% happy with the budget.

Giorgio has received a thanks from: Yokosuka
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: Yakuza series

Postby Anonymous81 » Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:48 am

The best way to push for full voice acting is to promote the PayPal campaign during the window we have imho. They've said it is contingent upon funding, and that's the only tool we have.

This will be a game with a very limited budget. There is a finite amount of content they will be able to create. If it's a choice between a larger world and more things to actually do in game, and voice acting where text would convey the same information but just less cinematically, then I would prefer they do the latter personally. I don't want a smaller game world and less content just so we can have voice acting.

But if we want to have our cake and eat it, too... we need to raise more funds.

Anonymous81 has received 2 thanks from: fittersau, Hyo Razuki
Anonymous81
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Witcher 3

Postby James Brown » Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:13 am

If it comes to a point where budget doesn't allow for real voice actors for every single character, why not ask the fans? I'd voice an NPC for no money :D
James Brown
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

XBL: skilljimmeh

Next

Return to Shenmue III