Thanking Sony

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Thanking Sony

Postby Monkei » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:54 am

It might only be my perception, but I feel that not enough people on these boards are giving Sony the credit they deserve. Sony actually saved Shenmue. They're much more than a valued partner here, they were the driving force behind all of this. If it wasn't for them, Shenmue III would not be happening.

They listened to fans demanding Shenmue III and Yakuza 5 during their "Building the List" campaign, first announcing a western release of Yakuza 5 at PlayStation Experience in 2014, which was then followed by the most unlikely thing: The Shenmue III Kickstarter at E3 2015.

Many of you still seem to be looking to SEGA for further Shenmue stuff. The thing is, without Sony's involvement, they won't lift a finger. They didn't support Shenmue during the past decade (you'd have to be quite the fanboy to claim otherwise, and I know some of you do and thus probably are), and they won't be starting to do so anytime soon. If you want Shenmue I&II HD, Sony are the ones to ask. Maybe we'll hear something about it at Sony's Paris Games Week conference in about a month. If you're glad about Shenmue III, which is most likely the case, Sony are the ones to thank.

Concerning SEGA's involvement, if it can be called that: Yes, they gave Yu the license. But why shouldn't they. All they had to do was say "Alright. Part of the profits in late 2017 to this bank account please: ...". They had no plans to do anything with it. Now they're allowing Yu to do something with it, which is as passive as it gets, while (most likely) still making a (small?) profit off it. I doubt that license came totally free.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure if an HD collection gets announced, it will be on one of Sony's stages. Sony's motivation behind all of this is obvious, of course. Shining as the most gamer/fan/consumer-friendly console manufacturer out there. Having much desired stuff for the hardcore audience on their system. And it works for me. The stuff they support is great. And it's more than great that they brought Shenmue III to life after all these years. They deserve our praise for it. So do Cedric Biscay and Shibuya Productions of course. So does Yu Suzuki. So do the guys at Neilo. But they are getting their praise on these boards, they are getting lots and lots of it. I feel Sony doesn't, even though they deserve it arguably the most for making it all possible. So let me conclude by saying:

THANK YOU SONY. :heart:
FOR MAKING SHENMUE III REALITY.

Monkei has received 6 thanks from: Axm, Bambi, fittersau, Giorgio, Himuro, Mr357
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Re: Thanking Sony

Postby Yokosuka » Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:06 pm

Looks like helping Shenmue has caused more troubles to their image than benefits, unfortunately for them. Too bad for everyone that Andrew House didn't know how to communicate.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Zoltor » Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:13 pm

Sony is doing this as a publicity stunt, and I don't fault them for that, because for once it doesn't hurt the customer, there's no scamming going on(a big departure from last gen huh lol, where every single thing Sony did, was a scam. Needless to say, they really did need the good PR), ect everyone wins :)

Yea people shouldn't be humping Sega's legs, that goes double for asking/expecting Sega to rerelease Shenmue 1, and 2, It's not going to happen.

The best chance of a 1, and 2 port would be for Yu to get it from sega, and then for Sony to fund it, seeing how it wont cost jack, I doubt Sony would mind(and if they are still scared because the 2nd game sold like crap originally, which was all of Sega's fault btw, well put the Blu-ray format to use lol. Put both Shenmue 1, and 2 on the same disc).

I actually hate Sony personally, but even so, I'm very, very, very thankful to them for handling the advertising, and publishing for Shenmue 3.

Zoltor has received 3 thanks from: Monkei, Mr357, strider16
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby shredingskin » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:34 pm

Yokosuka wrote: Looks like helping Shenmue has caused more troubles to their image than benefits, unfortunately for them. Too bad for everyone that Andrew House didn't know how to communicate.

No it didn't. More than 1/4th of the E3 "sony fucking won" was because SIII. It was a fucking amazing conference.

And to be honest, yeah, I want to thank Sony (even I kinda hated for a while). If there were not any BIG producers saying "we'll lend a hand" Shenmue III will not be comming.

If they didn't go all in, that's most of what everyone was done for a game like Shenmue (fucking NOW LIVING videogame HISTORY).

Also a big thanks to Shibuya productions, they were crazy good with interacting with fans.

EDIT: Seems like most times I post in this forum I'm drunk. But that doesn't mean I'm always drunk.

shredingskin has received a thanks from: Monkei
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Yokosuka » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:53 pm

shredingskin wrote:Also a big thanks to Shibuya productions, they were crazy good with interacting with fans.

Above all, it's confirmed that Shibuya is the main investor of Shenmue 3. So yes we can be grateful to all these companies.

Yokosuka has received a thanks from: Monkei
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby shredingskin » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:56 pm

Yup, fucking Shenmue III.

I'm grateful for those guys.

Love the Monaco/Yu Suzuki relationship, Jorge Luis Borges would be quite proud.

shredingskin has received a thanks from: Monkei
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby fittersau » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:14 pm

Monkei wrote: THANK YOU SONY. :heart:
FOR MAKING SHENMUE III REALITY.

Says it all really. No one else was willing to help like Sony. They heard our voices. Without Sony, we wouldn't be talking about Shenmue III right now.

fittersau has received a thanks from: Monkei
fittersau
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby SMDzero » Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:42 am

I just thanked Sony by buying a PS4

SMDzero has received 2 thanks from: Himuro, Monkei
SMDzero
Banned
Banned

Postby fittersau » Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:06 am

SMDzero wrote: I just thanked Sony by buying a PS4

And who said Shenmue is not a system seller.

fittersau has received a thanks from: Monkei
fittersau
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby sand4fish » Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:18 am

SMDzero wrote: I just thanked Sony by buying a PS4

Yep, words are cheap so I went on and bought a PS4 system as well. :D

sand4fish has received a thanks from: Monkei
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Axm » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:14 am

I've been thanking Sony since child birth.

If I get a Tattoo it will read:

SHENMUE
O
N
YUSUZUKI

With an etched drawing of Kaz Hirai on my belly.

Axm has received 2 thanks from: Monkei, sand4fish
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby fittersau » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:25 am

Axm wrote: I've been thanking Sony since child birth.

If I get a Tattoo it will read:

SHENMUE
O
N
YUSUZUKI

With an etched drawing of Kaz Hirai on my belly.

You should use this pick of Kaz instead.III for Shenmue III.

fittersau
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Shin Pan Tzee » Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:30 am

They're on a roll recently bringing back, or to the west, games we wanted but had no hopes for. Sony just doesn't let dreams be dreams.

Thanks PS3 for hitting their ego really hard, so now we can be thankful for their work.

Shin Pan Tzee has received a thanks from: Monkei
Shin Pan Tzee
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Zoltor » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:15 pm

Shin Pan Tzee wrote: They're on a roll recently bringing back, or to the west, games we wanted but had no hopes for. Sony just doesn't let dreams be dreams.

Thanks PS3 for hitting their ego really hard, so now we can be thankful for their work.

Lol yea if the PS3 wasn't such a utter POS, and all the scams they tried running, to attempt to sell that POS, there's no way Sony would've done something so amazing, and very out of char.

After the laughing joke that was the previous Sony E3 showings, they really needed to show some damn games people give a crap about, before the dumb fanboys end up forgiving MS, for following EA's lead.

Oh boy did Sony ever succeed, who ever thought they had the will power to put a stunt like this off. You see what happens when a company is about ready to go under, an amazing thing happens, they remember if they give what consumers want, they make money(such a weird concept Isn't it, to think, all you need to do to make money, is offer products people have been asking for, just wow, what a revelation)
Last edited by Zoltor on Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Himuro » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:49 pm

How about the Shenmue community makes a card with our names or whatever signed on it and then send it to Sony HQ?

Himuro has received 3 thanks from: Monkei, Mr357, sand4fish
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Next

Return to Shenmue III