"I Could Do With A Bit More Money" Yu Interview @Eurogamer

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

"I Could Do With A Bit More Money" Yu Interview @Eurogamer

Postby Sonoshee » Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:44 am

That Yu is trying to get more funding is a bit worrying... The $6 million KS pledges plus whatever other backers have already put down. I had a feeling it wouldn't be enough.
Graphically he's talking about letting it suffer if it means getting a better story/game out there for the fans.

Personally as long as its up to the standards set in KidNocon's HD versions of Dobuita/Hazuki Residence then I'll be happy.

www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-10-04-i ... um=twitter

Sonoshee has received 2 thanks from: Switch, Yokosuka
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Re: "I Could Do With A Bit More Money" Yu Interview @Eurogam

Postby fittersau » Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:09 am

I'm not sure if his small team could spend the time to be so precise and generate all those hi-rez textures and geometry for all the levels in Shenmue 3. Much of an artists work in any game is often rapidly missed due to the pacing of a game or how players navigate. I hope they will know where to spend time on, but also keep the levels looking consistently good. I personally don't expect every level to look as good as NoconKid's Hazuki Dojo.
fittersau
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby xbluemystx » Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:51 am

Sigh... confirmed it's not going to complete the 11 chapters... that gives me soul-crushing concern. I'm starting to think we might not ever have story closure.

I would have thought that Shenmues legacy going public would have gotten him some serious sponsors but it didn't. I've always said that I wish I could be rich so I could donate millions to him. That's pretty amazing though that he's working so hard and has 3 total hours of travel to & from work, with no weekends off. Like I said in another thread, he really put his heart into this. He must be getting barely any sleep.
xbluemystx
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Shibiryo » Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:54 am

Personally, they SHOULD graphically suffer to make the overall experience better and make it more playable for everyone. I am not so concerned with visuals as other people but the fact that Kid Nocon is helping is a positive. Yu knows whats right for Shenmue 3 and will deliver the story more than anything else, he'll make it a playable one which is as epic and satisfying than the former two games. We just need to give Yu time and also money that we can share.
Shibiryo
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Shenmue 1&2

Postby Yokosuka » Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:26 am

The Shenmue III of his dreams includes probably the Magic Maze along the Character Perspective System and the Three Kingdoms. Think that 11m is even not the maximum budget he initially planned as other stretch goals have yet to be revealed.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Monkei » Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:46 am

Yu Suzuki wrote:This time, we readjusted the structure, and made a new story for Shenmue 3. It's not exactly the same as the one we initially planned, though it has some overlap.

That's just how it works I guess. Neither the originally planned chapters, nor the stuff that was revealed during the post mortem count anymore. Shenmue III and Shenmue IV will be whatever they'll be, and that doesn't exist yet. Looking forward to it! :)
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby shredingskin » Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:28 am

We already knew the game wasn't going to be a benchmark in gaming graphics.

But if they use their resources right they can do an amazing looking game.

But I guess we don't really know how many graphical assets Yu has in mind for SIII.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Amir » Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:41 am

Suzuki could always do with more time and money, I wouldn't worry :P And even a mediocre-looking PS4 version of Shenmue III will outshine one graphically that we would have got on the Xbox or maybe even the 360/PS3.

I posted the Noconkid story to reddit yesterday and it got over 3000 upvotes, also posted this interview here: https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments ... ki_on_the/
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Steam: AmirMoosavi
Currently playing: Vanquish (PC)

Postby Gavan » Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:14 am

Personally I don't care that much about the graphics. As long as they look "good enough" I am content. What I do worry about is the world. If it doesn't have a fairly big, detailed open world it would just not be a true Shenmue game IMHO. It doesn't have to be huge like modern AAA open worlds, but I really hope it is at least similar in size to Shenmue 1. That is what I would really like to know: how big and detailed will Shemue 3's world really be?
Gavan
Master of the Three Blades

Currently playing: Sonic Mania Plus

Postby Himuro » Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:22 am

Sometimes, graphics aren't everything.

What makes the old Shenmue games look amazing still, isn't graphics. It's the art direction completely dedicated to making a game world come to life.

In the Shenmue 1080p pics by Kyodai, there's even more proof of this. That art direction is clean as hell. It's the AESTHETIC of Shenmue that still looks amazing even despite the fact the mouths don't actually move when they talk in Shenmue. Even if the graphics were ps3/360 level but with this same art direction, it'd look amazing.

Other games during that time period like Metal Gear Solid, or Sonic Adventure, slated as having great graphics when they came out look highly dated now. Why does Shenmue 1/2 look amazing still? Art design, aesthetic, and attention to detail. The colors, the "scent" that Yu talked about before. The fact that the locations look lived-in, and actually like you can tell people have been there and aren't just random assortments of shit. That every place and location seems to tell its own story. In gaming, aesthetic > graphics any day of the week. It's why a game like Gears of War looks aged, while a game like Shenmue 1/2 still draws you with its fully realized world.

Similarly, Silent Hill 3 STILL looks amazing.

Final Fantasy XII STILL looks amazing.

Dragon Quest VIII STILL looks amazing.

Jet Set Radio STILL looks amazing.

Why? Because aesthetic > graphics, and always will be better.

Personally, even if they went with ps2 level graphic models - which they aren't - and still had the art design and detail of 1/2, I wouldn't complain a bit.

Not worried at all.

In Yu, Shenmue, and that amazing team we trust.

Himuro has received a thanks from: Esppiral
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby johnvivant » Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:32 am

if the kickstarter demo is the target then i'm very happy with the graphics at that level.
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby code l name » Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:14 pm

"When we made Shenmue 2, we knew it was the last one," Suzuki reassures me. "We decided to go out with a bang - that's why there are those fantastical elements in there! Also, in China and in Japan, there's a strong belief, like in England and with Stonehenge and the druids, we get energy from the spirits and the trees and nature. It's called ki, and it translates as feeling and emotion. It's not the same as fantastical fairies and demons - it's more to do with a natural, basic power. We're considering bringing that element into Shenmue 3."

I wonder in what context did he mean, they knew Shenmue 2 would be the last one? Because Dreamcast was dying/Sega were pulling out of the console making business?
code l name
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Henry Spencer » Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:04 pm

Yet again Suzuki says Sony are providing funding. If they're relying on PayPal Slacker Backer, then it's not going to help things when EuroGamer are making people think again that it's being provided for. It also sounds like they're struggling to get additional funds from elsewhere if they're still asking around.

I do wonder how this game will come out, has to be said. If it looks just like Shenmue 1 and 2, then I'll be happy enough.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Gavan » Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:33 pm

johnvivant wrote: if the kickstarter demo is the target then i'm very happy with the graphics at that level.

Yeah me too, as long as they fix the faces.
Gavan

Currently playing: Sonic Mania Plus

Postby GYO6161 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:47 pm

UE4 is truly an amazing engine! ive seen some fanmade stuff with literary no budget that look on par with even some AAA content, the zelda oot ue4 is a good example, i think that if the fix the models of the characters like Ryo's Face and Tweak Shenhua's dress then the e3 trailer graphics would look good enough, more that good enough infact, it kinda feels freaky in a way to see both characters in such fidelity to be begin with, after all, there hasnt been a Shenmue title for an entire console generation, anything at this point is an improvement graphically to the original Dreamcast Title.
GYO6161
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: God of War

Next

Return to Shenmue III