Dual Shockers Yu Suzuki Interview

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Dual Shockers Yu Suzuki Interview

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:45 am

If being "truly open world" means spending 40 minutes getting lost in an empty forest that serves no purpose beyond background detail, then I think I'll take this horribly restricted, suffocating exercise in claustrophobic torture and enjoy it all the same.

Let's Get Sweaty has received 3 thanks from: Himuro, iyapol, Reprise
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby Yokosuka » Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:02 am

Some articles don't precised that Yu talked about the PS4 version only for the 30 fps. And some readers really think that Suzuki promised the 60 fps at E3 lol give me an axe.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Yokosuka » Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:07 am

Let's Get Sweaty wrote: If being "truly open world" means spending 40 minutes getting lost in an empty forest that serves no purpose beyond background detail, then I think I'll take this horribly restricted, suffocating exercise in claustrophobic torture and enjoy it all the same.

Yeah this is not a surprising news according the previous interviews, although it still hurts a little to read that from Yu-san. We have to keep in mind that Shenmue will not be a modern semi-open-world but the old-school Shenmue we all loved in a way better version, with new ideas, innovations and the remaining story we're all waiting for.

Yokosuka has received a thanks from: Reprise
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Reprise » Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:06 am

Let's Get Sweaty wrote: If being "truly open world" means spending 40 minutes getting lost in an empty forest that serves no purpose beyond background detail, then I think I'll take this horribly restricted, suffocating exercise in claustrophobic torture and enjoy it all the same.

Same.

In all honesty, I actually really begrudge open world games now... Honestly, I don't really like them much anymore. At first, they were technically impressive. Now it's just like "oh look, yet another open world game. Let me guess, I have to head over to this check point to start mission, oh now I have to go over to this marker" etc. And you have this vast amount of space, but there's really no point.
Reprise
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Kiske » Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:08 am

Seriously?
I think we hit rock bottom of "gaming journalism" here:

Shenmue 3 can't promise 60fps but can promise 'cute' and 'sexy' girls

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/shenmue- ... ls/0157757
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby Zoltor » Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:10 am

Yokosuka wrote: Some articles don't precised that Yu talked about the PS4 version only for the 30 fps. And some readers really think that Suzuki promised the 60 fps at E3 lol give me an axe.

Huh, what E3 were people watching, because I don't remember Yu ever talking about Framerates at all, nevermind at E3 of all places?
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Yokosuka » Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:25 am

Zoltor wrote:
Yokosuka wrote: Some articles don't precised that Yu talked about the PS4 version only for the 30 fps. And some readers really think that Suzuki promised the 60 fps at E3 lol give me an axe.

Huh, what E3 were people watching, because I don't remember Yu ever talking about Framerates at all, nevermind at E3 of all places?

By deduction I suppose. These headlines imply that Suzuki will downgrade the framerate in the readers mind like he did for the open world scale and the graphics (according them).
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby iyapol » Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:29 am

I still predict the game to be far more 'open world' than II and III, but I agree that there should be some restrictions. Ryo is athletic but he's no superhero. The ability to climb every mountain face, swim up every river, jump off water falls and cliff edges would take away Shenmue's sense of realism.

Saying that, it would still be nice to have some optional exploration with a few Easter eggs chucked in for good measure.
iyapol
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Kiske » Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:37 am

I honestly don't understand all the fuss around the framerate.
AAA PS4 titles like Uncharted 4 (single campaign) will run at 30fps/1080p despite having a way much bigger budget compared to Shenmue 3 and nobody seems to care about it.

As said before, I have only one hope concerning Shenmue 3.
Good use of the budget and compromises so Yu Suzuki can deliver a Shenmue game that FEELS like Shenmue, that PLAYS like Shenmue. In other words... a true Shenmue experience.

Kiske has received a thanks from: Reprise
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby Reprise » Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:13 am

Kiske wrote: I honestly don't understand all the fuss around the framerate.
AAA PS4 titles like Uncharted 4 (single campaign) will run at 30fps/1080p despite having a way much bigger budget compared to Shenmue 3 and nobody seems to care about it.

As said before, I have only one hope concerning Shenmue 3.
Good use of the budget and compromises so Yu Suzuki can deliver a Shenmue game that FEELS like Shenmue, that PLAYS like Shenmue. In other words... a true Shenmue experience.

Agreed 100%.
Reprise
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby elmatto » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:49 am

So it sounds like there's some kind of auto targeting going on with the combat.
elmatto
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby shredingskin » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:06 am

But imagine a forest were chi you men randomly jump at you, and old ladies give you fetch quests.

That's a GOTY.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby killthesagabeforeitkillsu » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:31 am

iyapol wrote: I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the closed-world comment. Sounds like there's going to be big restrictions as to where you can go and what you can see. So much for a 'truly open world'.

Best news I have read all week. I hope he sticks with it.

Shenmue was always the type of game that chose detailed enviroments over number of kms/size.

I have no desire in seeing Ryo and Shenhua glitching through large fields of emptiness. I would rather have a few small towns where every corner is handcrafted.

killthesagabeforeitkillsu has received a thanks from: NeoShredder
killthesagabeforeitkillsu
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Anonymous81 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:06 pm

As long as the game feels like Shenmue and is dense with the sense of actually being there and immersive like the first two games were, I personally don't care if the frame rate is 24 fps (as long as it's solid,) running in 720p, and with dated visuals, in a closed, highly linear environment.
Anonymous81
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Witcher 3

Postby Himuro » Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:52 pm

iyapol wrote: I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the closed-world comment. Sounds like there's going to be big restrictions as to where you can go and what you can see. So much for a 'truly open world'.

Thank God.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Previous

Return to Shenmue III