Shenmue 3 can't promise 60fps but can promise sexy girls

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Shenmue 3 can't promise 60fps but can promise sexy girls

Postby killthesagabeforeitkillsu » Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:01 am

We are talking about the same series that shows the male protagonist get his ass handed to him by signature.

This insanity of "representation in videogames" leads to creators avoiding making female characters because god forbids if they create one that is sexy or cute. On the reverse of the coin, we also have a bunch of bland token female characters too in order to please the uberprogressive crowd.

This hysteria is hurting the actual devs that do make good female characters like Yu Suzuki.
Last edited by killthesagabeforeitkillsu on Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

killthesagabeforeitkillsu has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
killthesagabeforeitkillsu
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Renere » Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:18 am

Yu only said that Shenhua will look cute, why does someone have to make an article with such a misleading headline ffs
Renere
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby shredingskin » Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:03 pm

killthesagabeforeitkillsu wrote: This hysteria is hurting the actual devs that do make good female characters like Yu Suzuki.

To be honest I haven't seen that. Most games keep having shitty characters.

It's hard to do good characters when most games are defined by how much you kill, or a blank one to imprint yourself.

I miss graphic adventures.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Mr357 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:23 pm

Just remember that Shenmue II on the Dreamcast was riddled with frame dips (well below 30), namely at the first arm wrestling spot and the White Dynasty QTE sequence when you're saving Zhang.
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby DEVILLE_David » Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:24 pm

Who cares if Niao Sun is a sexy and attractive lady ? That won't make it a bad game nor a bad Shenmue.

Everytime there's a news about Shenmue, some "journalists" tend to pick up some specific parts only and this result in something completely different from the original content.

Regarding the 30/60 fps, all I can say is that I'd rather have a stable 30 fps than an unbalanced 60 fps. With less than 10 millions, we cannot expect everything to be perfect. And some people have to remember that few months ago, we were still waiting and praying for a Shenmue III. Now that it's finally happening, I just can't understand why some are already whining about fps while the game is far away from it's release date.

We are finally having Shenmue III and it's just awesome. Will the game be 30 or 60 fps ? I will care about that if I notice some problems while watching gameplay videos.

DEVILLE_David has received 3 thanks from: Hyo Razuki, Let's Get Sweaty, VukBZ2005
DEVILLE_David
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: RavanaEX
Currently playing: God of War

Postby punkmanced » Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:43 pm

^ Don’t care about the fps issue myself, but you have to understand that after 15 years’ worth of hoping, fans are now awaiting something “perfect”.

Essentially, it’s the concept of preferring having “nothing”, over something subpar …which I would agree with. I would honestly be fine with Shenmue 3 never coming out and remaining a “what if”, as opposed to getting some unworthy piece of crap.

For some, this could apply to graphics; for others, story; voice acting; anything really.
Everyone has doubts, wishes and hopes in regards to S3. We’re talking about a very unique situation here.
punkmanced
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby shredingskin » Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:48 pm

The only thing I wanna say is that YS should elbow assault the fuck out of some journos.

About 30/60 I "feel" the difference, but maybe it's just placebo.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Konui » Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:51 pm

Won't mind 10 FPS, this is Shenmue 3. Anything given is a blessing
Konui
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby DEVILLE_David » Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:53 pm

I can agree but there's no perfect game, there's always something lacking.

People were whining that Shenmue III wouldn't bring an ending, some were fine with it and wanted the full version. Same goes with graphics. Since Yu Suzuki said he wouldn't focus too much on the graphics part, people started whining. And now that we're talking about 30/60 fps when the game's development has just started, they still find a way to say something about it.

I will wait around one year or mid-2017 before judging. I don't even know if we could call Shenmue III an "alpha" as it is right now. So there's a long way to go. :happy:

And let's forget who Yu Suzuki is. I wouldn't even worry about Shenmue III being an "unworthy piece of crap". ;-)

DEVILLE_David has received 2 thanks from: Axm, VukBZ2005
DEVILLE_David
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: RavanaEX
Currently playing: God of War

Postby shredingskin » Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:56 pm

We are talking about 30/60 because there's not much to talk.

We could talk about ragdoll cup punching I guess xD
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Yokosuka » Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:58 pm

The 60 fps could have been sweet for the combats and the Shenmue cinematographic style which uses constant travelling. But otherwise, the critics come mainly from people who have no clue about the franchise or hardware in general. Journalists like to put this forward because the framerate is part of visuals, and visuals are the most affordable subject for everyone.

Yokosuka has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby punkmanced » Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:04 pm

DEVILLE_David wrote: I can agree but there's no perfect game, there's always something lacking.

People were whining that Shenmue III wouldn't bring an ending, some were fine with it and wanted the full version. Same goes with graphics. Since Yu Suzuki said he wouldn't focus too much on the graphics part, people started whining. And now that we're talking about 30/60 fps when the game's development has just started, they still find a way to say something about it.

I will wait around one year or mid-2017 before judging. I don't even know if we could call Shenmue III an "alpha" as it is right now. So there's a long way to go. :happy:

And let's forget who Yu Suzuki is. I wouldn't even worry about Shenmue III being an "unworthy piece of crap". ;-)

I’ll certainly agree that it’s too early to judge the game. I mean…there is no game yet ;)
But…once again, after a 15-year wait, it’s all about hopes, wishes and dreams at this point, and vague announcements can certainly affect them all. The impact will just vary depending on the topic and the person.

Regarding Suzuki, sure, I would be more than inclined to believe in him as well…then again, the same applied to Star Wars fans back in ‘99. Sadly, anything’s possible after a long hiatus.

Realistically, in Shenmue 3’s case, everything will come down to budget and vision:
-Will Suzuki’s vision have evolved… or degenerated over the years?
-Can the very limited budget bring about something worthy of the title/legacy?

punkmanced has received a thanks from: DEVILLE_David
punkmanced
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby fittersau » Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:08 pm

The strong narrative of Shenmue will return. Suzuki is also keen to build and expand on the interactive elements which when all combined has been promised to be worthy of the legacy. So it will be safe hands.
fittersau
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Hyo Razuki » Sat Oct 24, 2015 4:15 am

Three Blades wrote:
And "sexy girls" in video games? Who above the age of 15 cares?

That doesn't really make sense to me. It would be like saying,

"Cool cars in videogames? Who above the age of ___ cares?"
or
"Bad-ass-looking weapons in videogames? Who above the age of __ cares?"

I mean, of course we want stuff/people in our videogames to look cool and/or idealized. That includes the female characters. I don't see how it's any different from anything else. Honestly, to me, someone saying "lol u care about sexy girls in videogames!!1", it just comes off as trying to overcompensate to make themselves sound cooler than they actually are.
Of course I like my VG women to be sexy. I also like my VG vehicles to look cool and bad-ass, VG weapons to look awesome, VG heroes to be idealized versions of heroic warriors, and environments to be colorful, vibrant, and alive.
What's wrong with wanting stuff to look good? :-k

Sure, you'd want everything in a game to look good, including women. Same goes for films. Women in films also tend to look better than your average woman you meet in daily life. There's nothing wrong with it.

How do I put it? I was just trying to say that I really did feel attraction to female characters in video games when I was younger. I now can still find a Hollywood actress attractive but a polygon model just really doesn't do anything for me anymore. I guess I'm too old for that. A game offering or not offering sexy "girls" is just irrelevant to me.

I thought it was the same for everyone but I guess it isn't. Anyway, I just hope Yu does what he puts his mind to and won't allow any Western sociologist's "smart" ideas about political correctness influence his work. Yuan being turned into a female in the Western versions of S2 was a major bummer to me already.

Hyo Razuki has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby johnvivant » Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:15 am

Team Yu and Sega Nerds have just released the definitive article responding to the fabricated controversy about Shenmue 3's crowd-funding campaign, and explaining the whole situation in regards to the faux outrage, click baiting, provocateur whores, and pseudo journalists.

its clear, eloquent and really nails it! its the article to share in case you need to correct naysayers in the future. Thanks Team Yu!

http://www.seganerds.com/2015/10/26/exc ... -and-more/

johnvivant has received a thanks from: Kiske
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III