Sega Europe comments on Shenmue

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Sega Europe comments on Shenmue

Postby mjq jazz bar » Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:45 pm

http://www.marketingweek.com/2015/10/12 ... martphones

"Now my biggest challenge as marketing director is to make sure people are aware that Sega isn’t just this heritage brand that made all the Sonic games but we’re making cutting edge adult narratives such as Alien Isolation too. Not a lot of people realise we make Football Manager either – that has to change.”
“We’ve had some great successes on mobile – our Sonic Dash game has over 100 million downloads – but mobile is an overcrowded market and being truly innovative in that space isn’t easy,” he adds. “The strategy at Sega is to focus on producing great content first and then decide which platform it works best on afterwards.”

Admitting that Sega has not done a “great job over the last four years” in communicating its brand values and “Yes, we want to innovate and back smarthphones and virtual reality but our key purpose is to go back to what the brand used to stand for and I think the buzz around Shenmue 3 shows that people love our legacy,” adds Rooke, who says Sega is exploring ways to re-release the original two Shenmue titles.

“Sega was an innovator, the Dreamcast was offering online gaming as early as 1998. But perhaps back then we were pushing boundaries a little too soon. Nowadays we know what we’re good at and the strategy is to be more gradual. Over the next few years, we want to use engaging content and marketing to remind the public why they fell in love with Sega in the first place.”

mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: mortimerOA
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

Re: Sega Europe comments on Shenmue

Postby LucBu » Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:58 pm

They know what they're good at. Where's our Streets of Rage, Skies of Arcadia, Shenmue HD etc etc?
LucBu
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby johnvivant » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:03 pm

are we to assume that the part which says 'Sega is exploring ways to re-release the original two Shenmue titles' was given off-the-record, because its not a direct quote.
Last edited by johnvivant on Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Anthony817 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:06 pm

Please oh god let it come soon to hold us over until Shenmue III! If this is ever what we needed to hear this is the perfect time and place! This is just about as good as them coming outright and saying it is happening!
Anthony817
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Steam: Anthony817
Currently playing: Shenmue II English 99min

Postby Monkei » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:24 pm

Sega is exploring ways to re-release the original two Shenmue titles.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Didn't see that coming. If they're really open to that and actually already "looking into it", as Yu would put it, and with Sony most likely already being very interested as well, there's a great chance of it happening rather sooner than later. Holy shit. I'm happy.

Edit: Too bad I can't read the actual article, since I'm not registered at that site. Are there other sources or can anybody else co firm this?
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby mjq jazz bar » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:31 pm

He's on Twitter. Can't promise he'll confirm anything, but I doubt the site made it up.

https://twitter.com/f1ghtclu8
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Giorgio » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:42 pm

«Admitting that Sega has not done a “great job over the last four years” in communicating its brand values»

Only? Especially after SEGA was taken over by SAMMY, showing the exit door to their legendary creators and ignoring old consumers.

«I think the buzz around Shenmue 3 shows that people love our legacy,”»

What? SEGA-SAMMY did Not make a single free tweet or post to promote the Shenmue 3 Kickstarter and now they want to take the credit for the created buzz? That is a shame. And, no; I love Yu Suzuki's legacy, not SAMMY's profit-first brand values.

«Who says Sega is exploring ways to re-release the original two Shenmue titles.»

Pfft. That better be true, and not another misleading quote of "We want to earn old fans' trust back and we'll do it!" ending up in nowhere. Exploring ways... This makes sense only if they talk about legal ways about Shenmue's game engine license. Because, if they meant ways of publishing, that's a given: Steam, PSN, XBL etc.

Giorgio has received 2 thanks from: Anthony817, Axm
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza series

Postby DEVILLE_David » Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:31 pm

Giorgio wrote:
«Admitting that Sega has not done a “great job over the last four years” in communicating its brand values»

Only? Especially after SEGA was taken over by SAMMY, showing the exit door to their legendary creators and ignoring old consumers.

«I think the buzz around Shenmue 3 shows that people love our legacy,”»

What? SEGA-SAMMY did Not make a single free tweet or post to promote the Shenmue 3 Kickstarter and now they want to take the credit for the created buzz? That is a shame. And, no; I love Yu Suzuki's legacy, not SAMMY's profit-first brand values.

«Who says Sega is exploring ways to re-release the original two Shenmue titles.»

Pfft. That better be true, and not another misleading quote of "We want to earn old fans' trust back and we'll do it!" ending up in nowhere. Exploring ways... This makes sense only if they talk about legal ways about Shenmue's game engine license. Because, if they meant ways of publishing, that's a given: Steam, PSN, XBL etc.

Nothing to add. :roll:
DEVILLE_David
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: RavanaEX
Currently playing: God of War

Postby Henry Spencer » Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:28 pm

Won't be surprised if in two years they're still talking about how they will be doing better and know where they've gone wrong and care about the fans really, yadda, yadda, yadda. All talk, talk, talk, yet again. Heck, if it wasn't for Sony we would have neither Yakuza 5 in English nor Shenmue 3 at all. Sony are basically doing all of the work for SEGA at this point, it's pathetic.

Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Rakim » Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:36 pm

Less talk more action.

SEGA is like the boy that cried wolf at this point. Do something. Anything. Just not Sonic.
Rakim
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Himuro » Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:17 pm

right. we heard this talk around E3 when S3 was announced. still nothing.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby ShenSun » Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:20 pm

Personally, I dont want SEGA to announce Shenmue HD. I want Sony to do it. They'll do it right. Im sure SEGA will fuck it up somehow.
ShenSun
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby GYO6161 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:27 pm

Yeah, Sony is totally the ones that seem to be interested in Shenmue over SEGA.
I for one hope that Sony realizes that there's many PS users that haven't played Shenmue 1 and 2 and that they could try to push the release of both games in HD to help market Shenmue 3 on PS4 just like what they did with helping Yakuza 5 to be localized, i'll die happy if Sony could hire Bluepoint to remaster Shenmue 1 and 2.
GYO6161
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: God of War

Postby mjq jazz bar » Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:33 pm

Himuro wrote: right. we heard this talk around E3 when S3 was announced. still nothing.

I'm pretty sure this is the first time an official from Sega mentioned that the company is interested in re-releasing the original games.
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:45 pm

mjq jazz bar, are you registered on the site? Did you get those paragraphs directly from there, or from somewhere/somebody else?
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Next

Return to Shenmue III