How important are the graphics to you?

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

How important are the graphics to you?

Postby Tigrr » Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:20 am

I know it's too early to judge the games visuals based on what's been shown so far, but how important are the graphics to you?

The screenshots released in the latest Kickstarter didn't look horrendous to me, but I do think that the lighting is far too harsh (especially in the first screenshot and the firefly video they released a few months back) and certain textures look too plasticky, like Ryo's jacket.

As much as I'd love to see revolutionary graphics that we had with Shenmue 1, I don't think Yu Suzuki has the budget the produce that. Personally, I'd rather the main character models were spot on and the story and gameplay take priority.

What do you guys think? Are you pleased with how things are progressing?
Tigrr
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Re: How important are the graphics to you?

Postby Monkei » Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:54 am

Yeah, very pleased. I think it looks gorgeous so far.

And I think it's rediculous how nitpicky some people are about it. It's an indy title with a relatively small budget, and it's a miracle we're getting it at all.

Monkei has received 4 thanks from: Himuro, NeoShredder, ShenSun, SickOctopus
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Kiske » Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:31 am

If the screenshots of the latest KS update are the graphical quality target for the final game, I would be more than happy.

Kiske has received a thanks from: NeoShredder
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby BlueMue » Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:31 am

I still have a part in me that wants Shenmue III to have the same cutting edge level graphics that Shenmue had during it's time. But I'd be happy with much less then that. The reason that Shenmue and especially Shenmue II are still pleasant to the eye is not because of its model or texture quality, it's from the overall equal degree in quality and the constant detailing on everything, the tone that the visuals have. As long as Shenmue III will have that appeal I'm happy with it.

I personally find the lighting in that one new screenshot much better then what we saw in that firefly teaser. Sure it's a bit much and one has yet to get used to this in a Shenmue game but it's much more fitting in that scene and much less over the top seeming. Also these are still pretty far from how the game will look in the end. Still just testing.

BlueMue has received 2 thanks from: Gavan, nskachu
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby SickOctopus » Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:39 am

I have to say I am more than pleasantly surprised with the visuals at this very early stage of development. Also, as Monkei says, in the greater scheme of things, this is basically a high-end indie title, so we have to curb our expectations somewhat.

That being said, I am optimistic the game will punch above its weight. Didn't The Witcher 2 also have a relatively small budget? $10 or 11 million or something?

SickOctopus has received a thanks from: NeoShredder
SickOctopus
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PSN: AJK1986
Steam: AllyK86
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Life is Strange

Postby Yokosuka » Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:47 am

They just need to get rid of the current cartoon style and I'm ok.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby fittersau » Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:54 am

Tigrr wrote: I know it's too early to judge the games visuals based on what's been shown so far, but how important are the graphics to you?

The screenshots released in the latest Kickstarter didn't look horrendous to me, but I do think that the lighting is far too harsh (especially in the first screenshot and the firefly video they released a few months back) and certain textures look too plasticky, like Ryo's jacket.

As much as I'd love to see revolutionary graphics that we had with Shenmue 1, I don't think Yu Suzuki has the budget the produce that. Personally, I'd rather the main character models were spot on and the story and gameplay take priority.

What do you guys think? Are you pleased with how things are progressing?

Give it time, the graphics are getting better. So they will only improve. It's hard to have the same expectations of Shenmue 3 as you did with Shenmue 1 & 2. There just isn't the budget for it.

BlueMue wrote: I still have a part in me that wants Shenmue III to have the same cutting edge level graphics that Shenmue had during it's time. But I'd be happy with much less then that. The reason that Shenmue and especially Shenmue II are still pleasant to the eye is not because of its model or texture quality, it's from the overall equal degree in quality and the constant detailing on everything, the tone that the visuals have. As long as Shenmue III will have that appeal I'm happy with it.

I personally find the lighting in that one new screenshot much better then what we saw in that firefly teaser. Sure it's a bit much and one has yet to get used to this in a Shenmue game but it's much more fitting in that scene and much less over the top seeming. Also these are still pretty far from how the game will look in the end. Still just testing.

I think the lighting still needs work, not subtle enough. Too much bloom the lights if those tiled rooms are to be used as reference.

I think the real challenge is making things look worn and old. It's 80's China and not much was new back then, much of it aging. The wood in one of the fight scenes is fresh and new, just like NoconKid's Hazuki Dojo.. but that was when Japan was going through it's 80s boom. China back then was quite a contrast in fortune.

It's looking good, really good. Three months is not a long time, but I can imagine much of the work has been on planning key areas and slowly developing those.
fittersau
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby johnvivant » Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:16 am

i'm pretty impressed with the graphics so far considering its only been in full production for 3 months.
there so much time left in development that i'm sure many things with improve in regards to the 'world feel' and lighting.

johnvivant has received a thanks from: Anonymous81
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Anonymous81 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:19 am

Short answer: Not at all, really. Graphics are the thing I worry least about, easily.

Longer answer: I would have been happy with the game looking like it was made in 2000, honestly. I'm way, way over the graphical fidelity fetish I had when I was younger. Visuals do contribute to immersion, and it's nice when they're there, but as long as the visual style is fairly consistent across the world and characters, I don't really care what they look like or how good they look.

Moreover, this is the first test shot imagery we've seen, after what is realistically probably less than 3 months of actual development. It had disclaimers informing us it was work in progress and that Ryo was "an earlier model" for a reason. All of this will be changed and iterated upon multiple times before the game is complete. I'm not remotely concerned, personally.

On the contrary... I'm super excited, as for the first time, it feels real. :)
Anonymous81
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Witcher 3

Postby Gavan » Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:03 am

Obviously it would be great if Shenmue 3 had amazing AAA graphics, but it isn't necessary. Like others have said, I would have been happy if it had Dreamcast graphics, as long as everything else is good. Those new screenshots look more than good enough to me.
Gavan
Master of the Three Blades

Currently playing: Sonic Mania Plus

Postby ShenSun » Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:36 am

The graphics are fine. It looks like they just need to nail the character models. The environments are looking good.

@SickOctopus Trial of the dragon. waaadahhhhh!!!
ShenSun
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Giorgio » Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:20 am

As long as they have the quality to make it feel real, then I am satisfied. And by such quality, I can refer to the graphics of Shenmue 1 and 2. Indeed, I am satisfied with those. Because, they have a quality to make it feel real, even though they are rendered through a >17 years old technology.

Giorgio has received 2 thanks from: Gen, ShenSun
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: Yakuza series

Postby Sonoshee » Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:04 am

Kiske wrote: If the screenshots of the latest KS update are the graphical quality target for the final game, I would be more than happy.

^ This!

3 months in and its already looking phenomonal in the testing phase!
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Himuro » Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:17 am

Game looks great. You'd be a stickler to critique a game not even in alpha for its graphics at this point. The thatched house shot is the one that tells the most. It's a great shot and shows off the outside environment with the level of detail we expect from Shenmue. Which tells us the game is in good hands.

All they need to do now is get the lighting for that Shenmue feel, and perfect the character models.

The game will look fantastic.

Personally, if the game came out looking like the test shots, I'd still be happy.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Gen » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:54 pm

I think the graphics are very important, as they were with the previous games. That doesn't mean they have to be the greatest graphics in terms of technical fidelity. I'd even sacrifice polygon count for a higher framerate. What's most important is the design, texturing and the attention to detail that makes the world feel real and 'handcrafted'.

I really don't think these pictures say much about how the game will look. It's the same prototype Ryo model which looks bad, but like others have pointed out it's pre-alpha so no need to be alarmed, I'm confident the characters will have the right look when they're updated.

I'm also confident Suzuki would want a similar 'softness' in the visuals that was distinct to the old games, and that means toning down the bloom and shiny bumpmapping pointed out by OP.
Gen

Next

Return to Shenmue III