shenmue 3 better than our expectations

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

shenmue 3 better than our expectations

Postby 7heavens » Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:51 am

In light of the recent information regarding development, that has come to light with yu suzuki being in china. I think its safe to say that shenmue 3 will be much better than we all expected.

With the kickstarter reach only 6.3 million and not the 10 million that people were hoping for, some people probably had genuine concerns that this would be a smaller game made on an indie game budget.

But just look at the progress made in the few initual months, and the game hasnt even officially begun the production stage. Its all still prototype. Its amazing. Story and scenarios set. Large environments already being made. Charachters models being improved. Basic fighting mechanics are already in. Day night and weather system being worked on. A conversation system also under development. Already nice looking backgrounds / areas designed. Building exteriors and interiors being made. And a forest section thats 2km x 2km that may need doubling as its already full. Confirmation of full voice acting. Confirmation of it being open world with areas somilar to kowloon etc.

And to think still 2 years to go.wow!

i personally think that ysnet is downplaying the progress theyve really made. In my opinion the final product will have a triple A feel to it. Just like the previous entries did.
7heavens
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Re: shenmue 3 better than our expectations

Postby killthesagabeforeitkillsu » Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:56 am

It is NOT safe to say that.

Only after we get the game on our hands and play it from start to finish, we can say its up to Shenmue standards or not.
killthesagabeforeitkillsu
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby NeoShredder » Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:00 am

I'm with both of you. Compared to the general shitstorm out there about the first Ryo model and the funding, it's looking very good right now (which the media seems to ignore, typical, guess they forgot the stretch goal for media bribery :roll: ). Yu has a good team. Kickstarter/crowd funding as given us excellent games in the past (Broken Age) but yeah, hands-on will tell us. So far, good with updates (wish they'd include all this amazing china stuff already!).
NeoShredder
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

PSN: NeoShredder5

Postby Spaghetti » Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:44 pm

It's far too early to say either way, but I personally believe the people who were claiming "anything under 10 mil from Kickstarter is a failure" were being childish and short sighted. A lot of what made the original Shenmue games expensive and ground-breaking can now be done cheaper, easier, and to a higher degree of quality, so the focus can now be on what Shenmue is really about. An immersive world, a good story, and varied modes of gameplay.

The facts as they stand are that the project is going smoothly in the prototype phase, and that they are able to stretch the money further than they initially thought. That's good news, but this is month 4 of 29. This is a marathon not a sprint.

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: Ziming
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Shenhua-Nani? » Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:10 pm

Suzuki was ready to do it with only 2 millions from kickstarter, he got more than triple that, pretty sure they'll manage to do something good.
Shenhua-Nani?
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby shredingskin » Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:39 am

If the team can get hold of UE, they can do better (in a strict budget).

Let's not make assets that shouldn't be created for nothing, and focus on gameplay.

The game I think will be awesome.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Return to Shenmue III