How long do you think Shenmue III will be ??

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: How long do you think Shenmue III will be ??

Postby Shenhua-Nani? » Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:37 am

When i replayed Shenmue 2 this year i was surprised at how much shorter it was than i remembered it (if you just do the story stuff), so i'm not that confident Shenmue 3 will be that long.

It's probably the biggest fear i have about Shenmue 3.
Shenhua-Nani?
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby shredingskin » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:48 am

Shenmue I feels a lot shorter (specially when you play the game on emulator and speed it up). Or knowing which days forklifting doesn't advance the story.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Yokosuka » Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:56 am

Don't know how it works but HowLongToBeat.com rates games lenght of play :

Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby DEVILLE_David » Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:57 pm

Shenmue is pretty short if you rush and go from A to Z without taking your time here and there.

Shenmue III could (we don't know) last 7-8 hours if you rush for the first time or 30 hours if you take your time to get all the dialogues etc.

Then people will try to do some speedrun and will end up finishing the game in 2-3 hours so it all depends on how you're looking at it.

First playthrough is what matters the most to me. I'd be happy with a 15-20 hours Shenmue III.
DEVILLE_David
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: RavanaEX
Currently playing: God of War

Postby Mr357 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:56 pm

DEVILLE_David wrote: Shenmue is pretty short if you rush and go from A to Z without taking your time here and there.

Shenmue III could (we don't know) last 7-8 hours if you rush for the first time or 30 hours if you take your time to get all the dialogues etc.

Then people will try to do some speedrun and will end up finishing the game in 2-3 hours so it all depends on how you're looking at it.

First playthrough is what matters the most to me. I'd be happy with a 15-20 hours Shenmue III.

Shenmue 1 takes over 8 hours to speed run even with the skip disc 1 glitch. Those work days and unskippable cutscenes really add up.

Mr357 has received a thanks from: DEVILLE_David
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby shredingskin » Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:24 pm

DEVILLE_David wrote: Shenmue is pretty short if you rush and go from A to Z without taking your time here and there.

Shenmue II can be speedrun in a lot less than first. Mainly because you can skip cutscenes.

But Shen I has a lot of articial (or semi artificial), ways to make the game longer, while in SII it's mostly on point (without counting "real way" of gathering money in 2 instances).

I quite like the "unespected" ambushes while forklifting, or the "time to waste" in the first one, but that does matter in second (or 20th time).

Shenmue II has a lot of those "random moments" that get rewarded by exploring, while Shenmue I makes you explore by design.

I like Shenmue I more than II (as I've said it enough times here). Hopefully SIII will have a playtime that doesn't try to drag bullshit (like most wrpg jrpgs of our time).

shredingskin has received a thanks from: DEVILLE_David
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby DEVILLE_David » Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:32 pm

I do have to agree with you. And we also have to remember that Shenmue will always be longer than the second one because we had to wait until the next event. ;-)

I don't mind speedruns to be honest, it's challenging. But I am pretty sure that most of us are not going to finish Shenmue III within 10 hours. :mrgreen:
DEVILLE_David
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: RavanaEX
Currently playing: God of War

Postby fittersau » Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:44 pm

I am dreading the inevitable speed run and subsequent negative press about how short the game is angle.
fittersau
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby shredingskin » Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:50 pm

I have a "background" on graphic adventures, that's why I think that 30 hours is quite a big deal (specially thinking of games today that have a lot of filler), and kinda afraid that Shenmue will try to adapt to current game design trends (or at this point we can call those aesthetics).

But Shenmue III going inwards, I think that Yu will make a Shenmue closer to what I think, to what a Shenmue killing bears for xp.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Yokosuka » Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:50 pm

What do you mean by current game design trends ? Maybe I'm naive but I believe in the exact opposite.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Spaghetti » Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:31 pm

shredingskin wrote: I have a "background" on graphic adventures, that's why I think that 30 hours is quite a big deal (specially thinking of games today that have a lot of filler), and kinda afraid that Shenmue will try to adapt to current game design trends (or at this point we can call those aesthetics).

But Shenmue III going inwards, I think that Yu will make a Shenmue closer to what I think, to what a Shenmue killing bears for xp.

Yu doesn't play other games, which I think is his greatest strength in keeping Shenmue away from being a homogenised game.

Besides, he isn't accountable to a big publisher leaning over his shoulder to make the game more like other games either. Financially he answers to Kickstarter backers, and Shibuya.

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: fittersau
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby shredingskin » Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:47 pm

Yokosuka wrote: What do you mean by current game design trends ? Maybe I'm naive but I believe in the exact opposite.

Infinite subquests that don't mean anything.
Location markers.
Artificially fluffing the game.

One example could be getting to doujang diner or getting to scarlet hills (both in SII).

After you learn the chawan, you can try it anywhere, then after a failed try (or 2), the game hints you on trying it, while you can still try the sign on other places.
Or you can give less money to someone to talk to people that eventually leads to man mo temple, or giving him the money so he tells you straight away. It's organic.

In modern game design would involve subquests. "get me something from X place", "go there, then there, then I tell you", in Shenmue you have that sense of real exploration that's involved in the narrative. Not just having 20 subquests that don't mean anything.

Another example would be the move learning in the first one.
You just stumble on an old man drinking sake, you help a homeless, that eventually gives you an evasion move (that it's a jab at how he was trying to scape from the bike guys).

In most games today is "I've heard that X guy in the other place knows a move", go to him -> do subquest -> get move). While filling a list of subquests that mean nothing.
Spaghetti wrote:Yu doesn't play other games, which I think is his greatest strength in keeping Shenmue away from being a homogenised game.

Yes, that's the best sign that SIII will be awesome.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Yokosuka » Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:23 pm

It's pretty clear that Yu won't try to follow "trends". Furthermore, he hates the quantity-for-quality thing, you just need to remember the direction of all his games (F355 vs Gran Turismo, 8 VF characters, Shenmue scale).

However, if we can be afraid of something, it's his deep will to reach a large audience and his closed-paranoia to not repeat the Virtua Fighter syndrome. I think about the future enigmas and the battle AI. We all have more than ten years of gaming experience and we evolved. Paradoxically, we can be the firsts to be displeased on that point.

Also, I don't think Shenmue fans should complain much about map assistance in modern open worlds. Not only you can disable the assistance interface in some games or not paying attention to, but Shenmue is maybe the easiest game to find your place (asking npc, automatic npc following for 80% of them). It's more a question of philosophy rather than assistance weight so I'm not worry that much, Shenmue will still be Shenmue.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Peter » Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:41 pm

Kinda what David said. The game will be as long as you want it. I swear at midnight, I will have had my body clock set, extended leave from work booked, a case of energy drinks in the fridge, coffee jars in the cupboard, all social media and links to the Shenmue Community blocked for when this game is released.
I will play it slowly. I mean slowly! Hopefully the L trigger will still give you access to a first person view, and I will rape the life out of it, looking at every texture, near sight, draw distance, examining every object, reading every word, listening to every sound, exploring every area and option......

It baffles me that anyone who's been waiting on the game for this long, would wanna power through it. Embrace every second of the Shenmue 3 world because we will have earned and paid for every second of it. This could be a 4 hour game, and I will still make it last over 40 hours. Replays, speed runs, notebook completion, all story pathways, all collectibles, learn everything about each NCP... The list goes on and on.

Peter has received 2 thanks from: johnvivant, SheepheadCG
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby SMDzero » Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:55 pm

It would be cool if, after we booted up the game, we see a special introduction by Yu Suzuki. I would go something like this:

"Hi I'm Yu.. they want me to say Yu Suzuki because this is produced and directed by Yu Suzuki.. but my friends call me Yu and I consider you all a friend right now because you people asked for and waited to play my version of Shenmue 3. But if you hadn't asked I don't think this would have seen the light of day. I thought it would stay in the vaults of Japan and never surface again but because of all your requests and all your asking it came to be. But over the years.. much has happened.. most of all I got grey hair I didn't have one when I started... but much of my game design had been lost.. and misplaced in vaults in Japan as cancelled games happen to be and a lot of assets were ruined but through really good research and hard work every piece of this game that I had worked on was found. But some of the game you're going to play in Shenmue 3... I didn't design... Sega felt they wanted crowd funding so a lot of stretch goals weren't reached... and a lot of the game is missing but nonetheless here is Shenmue 3 with as much of my work as could be salvaged. So thank you Sega, thank all you people and thank you most of all to Sony who helped reconstruct my game as close to the original vision as I intended it to be. I just got a kick out of playing it it was quite enjoyable quite exciting... something I never thought would happen. 16 years.. I hope you all enjoy it.
SMDzero
Banned
Banned

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III