Shenmue III's ending - Another cliffhanger?

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Shenmue III's ending - Another cliffhanger?

Postby Spaghetti » Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:07 pm

I'm of the opinion that Shenmue II's big cliffhanger is part of the reason why we've clamoured so hard for a sequel all these years. It's a script-flipping moment of huge mystery with an emotional crescendo, but would Yu Suzuki dare to do it all over again for 3?

I think, yes- but in a very different way. Yu has been very open about Shenmue 3 being a launch pad for the final instalments of the series, and how he intends to get a publisher on-board instead of returning to Kickstarter. Stirring up the same frothing clamour we had after II would help do that. Where II's ending was an attempt to at least indicate where the series may have gone in the future, we now know the development team were aware it may have been the last Shenmue game ever and wrapped up the story a little neater than they would otherwise.

3's ending could be an even bigger cliffhanger as an attempt to ensure the series' survival through continued high demand. The worst thing that could happen to Shenmue after 3 would be nobody wanting to know where the series went next. That's why I think Shenmue 3 will effectively be the 'Empire Strikes Back' of Shenmue, with earth-shattering revelations and wide-reaching consequences for the characters.

Of course nobody knows what happens at the end of the game, but if I had to guess...

After a resounding defeat by Lan Di, Ryo escapes with his life, but in the process loses the Phoenix Mirror, and is separated from Shenhua. Stranded and alone, Ryo then embarks on a journey to catch up to the Chi You Men that will take him even deeper into the heart of China.

But how does everybody else feel about the idea of another cliffhanger?

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: sshen1127
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Re: Shenmue III's ending - Another cliffhanger?

Postby Superrayman3 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:27 pm

With the way Suzuki described his ideas at the 2015 Chuapp summit in China I'm pretty sure he's got at least one more game in mind to conclude the series.
Superrayman3
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Shenmue 0.400

Postby 7heavens » Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:53 pm

I agree with spaghetti. I think it'll be an even bigger cliffhanger. And I like the possibility of how shenmue 3 would end that spaghetti provided.

At the end of shenmue 3. Ryo should be on the verge of coming across a really big revelation but at the same time he should be severely beaten and down on his luck. With a glimpse of hope of course.

I'm really looking forward to how the story progresses and hope that it does end on a massive cliffhanger. Can't wait.
7heavens
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Rikitatsu » Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:08 pm

Yes, another cliff hanger. Fans are expecting this since Shenmue won't end with 3.

I can already see some non-fans exhibiting concern trolling.. "ANOTHER CLIFFHANGER? LOL HE JUST KEEPS LEADING THE FANS" .... "LET ME GUESS, HE WANTS MORE MONEY" , etc, etc...
Rikitatsu
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Hanzumon » Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:27 pm

I also believe, we will get a big cliffhanger because Yu Suzuki (an all fans) wants a sequel to Shenmue III.

I think, that Lan Di get both Mirrors in the end of Shenmue III and Ryo´s next mission is to stop him for using them ...

In the end of Shenmue IV, Lan Di use both Mirrors to do something terrible ... And in Shenmue V we defeat this evil thing ;)

No Spoilers, because this is absolute Fan-Fiction without any real information behind it :)
Hanzumon

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: lollipop chainsaw

Postby Tuet0ne » Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:50 pm

As long as it doesn't end in a cave.... I'll be happy.
Tuet0ne
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PSN: Tuet0ne
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: AC Syndicate

Postby johnvivant » Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:36 pm

imo, if suzuki intends to produce more shenmue games then another huge cliff hanger is essential so as to lock-in not just the hardcore fans again, but also the plethora of new fans that will hopefully be created. if its sells over 1 million then we know shibuya is on board to back the sequel, and i would guess so would sony and sega. hell maybe even microsoft will step in with some cash to get it on xbone.

shenmue has been given another chance, its all about how well s3 sells, and is received.

a good cliff hanger ending may even create enough demand to successfully fund another kickstarter campaign, but obviously this is not the ideal way of getting shen 4. kickstarters are so stressful - for everyone, even fans!

and in regards to the nature of the cliffhanger, something like you suggested is very much how i envision it.
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Lan Di-sama » Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:00 am

I think it would be impossible to imagine a break in this story that is not a cliffhanger to some degree, but I'd be willing to bet Shenmue III ends with a cleaner cut - like the end of Chapter 1 or the Kowloon chapter - and not right in the middle of a very dramatic scene, after getting so many bombs dropped on you in a short span of time.

However, I think the story will have progressed enough by this point that it will leave us yearning for more, just as much if not more as we have been for years, even if the ending isn't as shocking or sudden as it was in Shenmue II.
Lan Di-sama
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Kintor » Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:13 am

I agree that Yu Suzuki will want to set things up for Shenmue 4. But that doesn't have to mean that Shenmue 3 must end on a cliffhanger. Rather, I think that Shenmue 3 might end in a way similar to how the original Shenmue ended. In the first game Ryo departed for Hong Kong after just missing his chance to fight Lan Di in Japan. As such, Shenmue 3 could end with Ryo resolving a major plot point or two, while also being given an incentive to travel to a new location.

That's all just speculation on my part, of course. One thing is almost certain however - Lan Di will get away again.

Although, if Ryo ends up in the same room as Land Di at some point in Shenmue 3 then I suppose that's progress. :P
Kintor
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby rigo8582 » Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:38 am

I think it will end on a cliffhanger but I think things are different this time around. I'm not sure at the end of Shenmue II if they were aware of the fate of SEGA and the Dreamcast. So I think this Cliffhanger won't be as bad and probably won't be as long. I also think there may be an ending that will give fans closure if by some chance Shenmue IV doesn't become a reality. I'm sure Yu is smart which I think he is, some of the stuff being developed now is going to be available for Shenmue IV. Similar to how Shenmue 2 used many assets to the original.
rigo8582
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PSN: qbanb8582
XBL: rigo8582
Steam: rigo8582
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby LucBu » Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:24 am

Ryo loses to Lan Di. Ren gives his life to protect Ryo from Lan Di. It comes just as Ren acknowledges Ryo for having a sense of duty and a goal. Shenhua is captured. Phoenix Mirror is taken. Ryo wakes days later being taken care of by one of the new characters he's befriended. Resolves to finish things. Run credits.
LucBu

Postby Yokosuka » Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:43 pm

I think Yu is aware that a new cliffhanger (so a not-communicated chapter 7 special cut) would be really impolite. As he said, if Shenmue III is a fail, he will not try to continue.

Furthermore, Cédric is the closest fan of Yu. He knows what fans have endured. I see no other alternative than to get a Shenmue 1-like ending by following the basic flow of the novel. Shenmue III is likely to be a self-sufficient piece of art imo.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Return to Shenmue III