Is Shenmue IV a possible reality at this point?

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Is Shenmue IV a possible reality at this point?

Postby Yokosuka » Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:07 am

reptile wrote: Personally I think that Shenmue IV will definitely come

I think so. YSnet needs a catastrophe to not meet their expectations as the project seems to be well driven and realistic. My question is more about the quality and the platform : PS4 or PS5 ? Both like MGS V/Tomb Raider ? Is Yu planning to produce assets for Shenmue III with sight for possible next-gen conversions/re-uses ?
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Spaghetti » Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:20 am

In terms of reuse of assets, I think any Shenmue 4 will naturally be built on the foundations set by Shenmue 3 much like Shenmue II built on the original, but isn't Shenmue 4 meant to be set in more urban environments? That might limit the amount of environment models and textures that can be reused.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Yokosuka » Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:07 am

Not necessarily environments part indeed but we're talking about Yu Suzuki after all (although it's common for every gaming studios) :
- the character of Virtua Racing purposely made to be reused in Virtua Fighter 1
- the Virtua Fighter 2 engine in Shenmue 1 & 2
- The technological influence of Shenmue in Virtua Fighter 4
- Magic Weather in Ferrari F355 Challenge
- all other software or office technologies developments shared by AM2 games

So we can fairly expect unexpected long-term purposes from him. Somehow, YSnet is already working on a next-gen version of Shenmue as they are producing a PC version. Didn't Cédric say that the PC version will be "optimized" compared with the PS4 version ?

Perhaps Yu will also cover another game development like he did for Ferrari F355 Challenge for fun and avoiding the stress from Shenmue hell development as he talked in Shanghai about creating a new driving game.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Spaghetti » Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:27 am

Yokosuka wrote: Not necessarily environments part indeed but we're talking about Yu Suzuki after all (although it's common for every gaming studios) :
- the characters of Virtua Racing purposely made to be reused in Virtua Fighter 1
- the Virtua Fighter 2 engine in Shenmue 1 & 2
- The technological influence of Shenmue in Virtua Fighter 4
- Magic Weather in Ferrari F355 Challenge
- all other software or office technologies developments shared by AM2 games

So we can fairly expect unexpected long-term purposes from him. Somehow, YSnet is already working on a next-gen version of Shenmue as they are producing a PC version. Didn't Cédric say that the PC version will be "optimized" compared with the PS4 version ?

Perhaps Yu will also cover another game development like he did for Ferrari F355 Challenge for fun and avoiding the stress from Shenmue hell development as he talked in Shanghai about creating a new driving game.

While it's true a lot of AM2 games did reuse elements from all over game development, it made more sense to because of the sheer volume of titles coming out of the studio, so I'm not sure YSnet are looking too far ahead with what they're making for Shenmue 3 outside of laying the bricks for building 4 on top of the systems they've got. It'd be nice if Yu got to make a new game between Shenmue 3 and 4, but I think he'll likely want to strike while the iron is hot off the release of 3 and maybe close out his career at the same time as the Shenmue series.

As for the PC version, I wouldn't say that'd be the next-gen version as we have no idea what the specs of the next Xbox or Playstation will be and if they'll be anywhere near a current high-end PC, but it would be a great testing ground for the upper limits of what they can do in UE4. I'm expecting a better draw distance, texture filtering, shadows, ambient occlusion, anti-aliasing in the PC version of Shenmue 3, but at the end of the day it'll still not be a generational head and shoulders leap over the PS4 version.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Telekill » Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:04 pm

Spaghetti wrote:
Yokosuka wrote:

YSnet is already working on a next-gen version of Shenmue as they are producing a PC version. Didn't Cédric say that the PC version will be "optimized" compared with the PS4 version ?

As for the PC version, I wouldn't say that'd be the next-gen version as we have no idea what the specs of the next Xbox or Playstation will be and if they'll be anywhere near a current high-end PC, but it would be a great testing ground for the upper limits of what they can do in UE4. I'm expecting a better draw distance, texture filtering, shadows, ambient occlusion, anti-aliasing in the PC version of Shenmue 3, but at the end of the day it'll still not be a generational head and shoulders leap over the PS4 version.

I'm not expecting Shenmue III or the possible Shenmue IV to reach graphic capabilities of what PS4 is capable of. For instance, I highly doubt any Shenmue game (sans Mods for the PC version) will ever look as good as Uncharted 4. Worrying about graphic capabilities of the next gen seems like a moot point to me.

Spaghetti wrote:
It'd be nice if Yu got to make a new game between Shenmue 3 and 4, but I think he'll likely want to strike while the iron is hot off the release of 3 and maybe close out his career at the same time as the Shenmue series.

I respect Yu Suzuki's work beyond Shenmue, having grown up during his golden age of releases, but I think for Suzuki to work on something beyond completing Shenmue at this time would work against his goal of completing Shenmue. He has said numerous times that Shenmue is his legacy in the gaming industry.
Telekill
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: Telekill
Currently playing: Detroit Become Human

Postby Spaghetti » Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:19 pm

Telekill wrote:
Spaghetti wrote:
Yokosuka wrote:

YSnet is already working on a next-gen version of Shenmue as they are producing a PC version. Didn't Cédric say that the PC version will be "optimized" compared with the PS4 version ?

I'm not expecting Shenmue III or the possible Shenmue IV to reach graphic capabilities of what PS4 is capable of. For instance, I highly doubt any Shenmue game (sans Mods for the PC version) will ever look as good as Uncharted 4. Worrying about graphic capabilities of the next gen seems like a moot point to me.

Spaghetti wrote:
It'd be nice if Yu got to make a new game between Shenmue 3 and 4, but I think he'll likely want to strike while the iron is hot off the release of 3 and maybe close out his career at the same time as the Shenmue series.

I respect Yu Suzuki's work beyond Shenmue, having grown up during his golden age of releases, but I think for Suzuki to work on something beyond completing Shenmue at this time would work against his goal of completing Shenmue. He has said numerous times that Shenmue is his legacy in the gaming industry.

Yeah. Honestly I don't think anybody should be expecting Shenmue 3 or a potential 4's graphics to blow our minds the same way the original did in the 90s, and it shouldn't need to anyway (though it is very easy to get a decent baseline of "good" graphics with UE4). Shenmue is more about detail and making the world look lived-in. Pushing photorealism is folly, and ultimately so expensive these days that it just isn't worth it unless you are making the top tier of video game in terms of Hollywood-style production.

What I am expecting from Shenmue 3 and 4 would be great animation, and I think that's what Yu is aiming for too with his talk about making animation blending an integral part of how the combat systems are going to look and feel.

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: Telekill
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby ianpm31 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:45 pm

Shenmue 3 will have no problem hitting the 1m mark. If games like VC on steam hit over 500k and transistor hit over 1m then I don't see why Shenmue 3 can't do that either. Especially when Shenmue is more popular and the hype on the internet will rise as we get closer to release day. There are a lot more "fans" of the series then people realize and plenty of people who will buy S3 without even playing S1 & S2 based on hype alone and curiosity. I see Shenmue 3 hitting over 2 million when it's all set and done especially if it's being priced around $40-$50. Of course it does need solid reviews to help

ianpm31 has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
ianpm31
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby xbluemystx » Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:56 am

I'm a little worried about never having closure.

They're giving copies away to donators. I'm concerned that will mean less sales. They're pretty much using sales to pay for the game. Obviously some people will buy it but the biggest fans have already reserved theirs. Sega said that they're considering HD remakes... I agree it would be important. They would seriously need to add time-skip to the first to keep people interested in this day and age. I've tried getting a lot of people to play Shenmue and only 2 have completed both. Many people got frustrated and uninterested.

A large majority of popular games now a days are nothing but guns... which (not offense to anyone) I consider casual gaming. Shenmue requires a lot of passion to appreciate. Additionally, console wars are probably the fiercest they've ever been. I can't tolerate places like GameFAQs anymore. I'm hoping for the best but, yeah, I'm concerned. Is it confirmed that the fourth would be the end? He's only doing 1 and a half chapters in Shenmue III, as far as I heard.
xbluemystx
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Postby Telekill » Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:31 pm

xbluemystx wrote: I'm a little worried about never having closure.

I am as well. We've waited so long and if Shenmue 3 is the last in the series with no end that would really suck. It would be like the disappointment of the second game all over again.

xbluemystx wrote:Is it confirmed that the fourth would be the end? He's only doing 1 and a half chapters in Shenmue III, as far as I heard.

Honestly, no one really knows but last I heard that was Yu Suzuki's plan; having the fourth game be the final.
Telekill
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: Telekill
Currently playing: Detroit Become Human

Postby DEVILLE_David » Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:33 pm

Yu Suzuki's first plan was to go through 5 games BUT he decided to try to make it through 4 games instead. So, yes, Shenmue IV might be the last one.

Regarding Shenmue III sells, I am not worried. Fan base is strong, we're having Sony doing some marketing for it or atleast that's the plan (PS4 version), Shibuya on the PC version, Steam etc.

We all did a great job during the Kickstarter. If we keep going like this until the game is finally released, everything's gonna be alright. ;-)

DEVILLE_David has received 3 thanks from: James Brown, SickOctopus, VukBZ2005
DEVILLE_David
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: RavanaEX
Currently playing: God of War

Postby Jesse » Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:38 pm

Yes i believe Shenmue IV will be a reality hopefully itll be out by 2022. Regardless itll happen we have waited to long to settle for anything less than the finale of the saga.

Jesse has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
Jesse
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: Jrockstr

Postby Sonoshee » Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:46 pm

Mr Biscay said that a Kickstarter wouldn't be needed for a Shenmue 4. I'm hoping that after the successful funding campaign for Shenmue 3, someone like Sony (and Shibuya Prod.) will just outright fund a Shenmue 4.
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Shenhua-Nani? » Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:01 pm

It's all in the hands of Yu, Shenmue 3 is the only chance we have for "global" recognition since it's the first Shenmue game on a popular system.

Shenhua-Nani? has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
Shenhua-Nani?
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Previous

Return to Shenmue III