Kickstarter Update 51: Poll Results & Shenmue.link revamp

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Kickstarter Update 51: Poll Results & Shenmue.link revam

Postby Spaghetti » Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:09 am

Reprise wrote:
Spaghetti wrote:
GYO6161 wrote: Oh boy.... when the media hears about this, they're gonna rip Shenmue 3 a new one.

''Shenmue III developers scam Paypal pledgers from giving them exclusive items''

Even if I have zero confidence in gaming press, that would stray into outright lying. Nobody got scammed, it's just Awesome Japan ignoring the democratic will of the backers in two polls because they are afraid of backlash from a higher than expected percentage of backers.

Exactly. All that has happened is... nothing has changed.

I agree, it's pretty shitty. They should have at least stated before the poll that if "yes" doesn't get at least 'x'% of the poll, that nothing would change. Announcing that 'yes' won, but because 'no' still got a lot of votes they're not going to add any of the Kickstarter exclusives, is pretty bad.

Yeah. Honestly, I expect them to reverse the decision as a result because there's no justification for it, outside some vague fear that the backers who voted no will be unhappy.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby BlueMue » Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:48 am

Really smart move of them there...
Oh well, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Don't let your faith get ruined by something like this.

BlueMue has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby SheepheadCG » Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:52 am

Such a stupid idea lol I don't even understand how this decision could be made. They would have been better off just not asking in the first place, and just doing it. Noone would have had a problem with that as it would have just been normal.

Talk about just completely messing it up. The media is YET AGAIN going to run away with this. First article is up, luckily it is Dualshockers, and they aren't dicks like IGN/Kotaku/gamespot lol

http://www.dualshockers.com/2016/01/04/ ... l-backers/

They normally just state the facts, and don't have negative opinions on things so we are good here. Think I might just avoid the internet for the rest of the day because I don't wana read the comments about this lol.\

EDIT: Is the Shenmue site dead for anyone else?

SheepheadCG has received 2 thanks from: arwinjohn, VukBZ2005
SheepheadCG
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Steam: sheephead100
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Starcraft 2

Postby alexironaek » Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:57 am

ok , so let me get this straight , we had 2 polls, in both those polls , the "no" option came third....but we still do not get the rewards... :shock: i feel really disappointed right now. :sad:

alexironaek has received a thanks from: arwinjohn
alexironaek
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Spaghetti » Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:00 am

I don't think it'll go much further than Dualshockers. Mainstream games media is more just ignoring Shenmue after spending the summer writing weird thinkpieces and inaccurate articles for the most part. Still though, even Dualshockers is obfuscating the fact that the poll numbers don't add up to the decided result, so it isn't strictly accurate reporting even if they're being very matter-of-factly about it.

The site has been up and down since this morning's update hit. I don't know if it suddenly has a lot of traffic now, or if there is an attempt at a DDOS.

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby belinho » Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:19 am

Spaghetti wrote:Why blame Awesome Japan? Because as we've been told by people such as Cedric, they are the ones directly in charge of the PayPal and Kickstarter campaigns. Cedric has even gone as far to say he has no control over the PayPal campaign, and we know ultimately Yu Suzuki is focussed on development. So who does that leave? Awesome Japan.

So you don't think Yu could squeeze a little meeting to discuss the first poll made during the development of a game he's been waiting to make for 14 years?

arwinjohn wrote:Some of my friends who I persuaded to back their projects and they did backed it via paypal cause of the rewards, are all very disappointed now and some of them just cancelled their pledge.

I even convinced 3 other friends to back it and now they dont want to do it. Im fine with which ever way happens since im only interested in the game but its sad when you try hard to bring in new fans to get into this franchise, and now they decided its Kickstarter exclusive, really makes you want to just give up finding anyone to increase the pledge or newcomers to back the project. Just my 2 cents.

Wow, i know it's a controversial decision, but all these friends you got waiting to support Shenmue 3 during the paypal campaign are really up to date if they already made up their minds that way, and have a really strong opinion about getting the game, but only if they get all the rewards
belinho
Asia Travel Representative

Postby MiTT3NZ » Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:19 am

You can bet your unborn daughter's virginity that it's down to "collectors" who want their rewards to have more value.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Spaghetti » Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:34 am

belinho wrote:
Spaghetti wrote:Why blame Awesome Japan? Because as we've been told by people such as Cedric, they are the ones directly in charge of the PayPal and Kickstarter campaigns. Cedric has even gone as far to say he has no control over the PayPal campaign, and we know ultimately Yu Suzuki is focussed on development. So who does that leave? Awesome Japan.

So you don't think Yu could squeeze a little meeting to discuss the first poll made during the development of a game he's been waiting to make for 14 years?

Awesome Japan are in charge of the PayPal campaign absolutely from what Cedric has told us, and we know they are in charge of running the Kickstarter campaign. Yu's focus is entirely on development. It's very likely Yu did not sign off on the decision to use the poll data in the way it has been done, because it has absolutely nothing to do directly with the development of the game.

If the poll was to gather data on control types (I firmly believe we'll get one asking about D-pad VS analogue stick) etc, then yes, Yu would likely be more involved.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Technophilz » Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:51 am

I am so frustrated that this great legacy ended up in the hands of such amateurs !!! Shame ...

The homepage gets a face-lift ? This is the face-lift I'm getting on my browser :

P.S: website seems to be working now, a bit slow but at least it's working...
Last edited by Technophilz on Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Technophilz

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Shenmue IIx

Postby Yokosuka » Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:55 am

MiTT3NZ wrote: You can bet your unborn daughter's virginity that it's down to "collectors" who want their rewards to have more value.

Ironically, voting No is the best way for their rewards to lose value as they lower the chance of raising the quality of the game.

Yokosuka has received a thanks from: arwinjohn
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Technophilz » Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:59 am

We need to ask Yu to end the Shenmue story in 3, I honestly don't think another one will even get a chance of being made ...
Technophilz

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Shenmue IIx

Postby MiTT3NZ » Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:03 am

Yokosuka wrote:
MiTT3NZ wrote: You can bet your unborn daughter's virginity that it's down to "collectors" who want their rewards to have more value.

Ironically, voting No is the best way for their rewards to lose value as they lower the chance of raising the quality of the game.

How the hell do you work that one out?
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Monkei » Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:20 am

I don't really get all the hate for AJ. Sure, they're a bunch of tools in general, but here, in this specific situation?

No.

Those Kickstarter rewards were introduced as exclusive stuff, and that's what made a lot of people decide to support the campaign in the first place. "Give money, get exclusive stuff in return". That's a promise, it's a deal YS Net made with Shenmue fans. They can't just go "thanks for the money, but what we promised in return is now something else, it's no longer exclusive. Because 6000 people don't care". I think 4000 out of 15000 people being against the rewards going to Paypal backers is more than enough to not do it. It doesn't really matter if another 10000 people don't care or if those 4000 people are assholes or not - AJ's decision to not screw these guys over is legit.

The 10000 who voted "yes" or "don't care" are in no way screwed by this decision, while 4000 "no"-voters would have been screwed the other way round.
Last edited by Monkei on Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Monkei has received 2 thanks from: Raithos, Reprise
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby arwinjohn » Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:30 am

belinho wrote:

arwinjohn wrote:Some of my friends who I persuaded to back their projects and they did backed it via paypal cause of the rewards, are all very disappointed now and some of them just cancelled their pledge.

I even convinced 3 other friends to back it and now they dont want to do it. Im fine with which ever way happens since im only interested in the game but its sad when you try hard to bring in new fans to get into this franchise, and now they decided its Kickstarter exclusive, really makes you want to just give up finding anyone to increase the pledge or newcomers to back the project. Just my 2 cents.

Wow, i know it's a controversial decision, but all these friends you got waiting to support Shenmue 3 during the paypal campaign are really up to date if they already made up their minds that way, and have a really strong opinion about getting the game, but only if they get all the rewards

True :sad:
arwinjohn

PSN: arwinjohn
Currently playing: Destiny

Postby alexironaek » Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:45 am

Monkei wrote: I don't really get all the hate for AJ. Sure, they're a bunch of tools in general, but here, in this specific situation?
No.
Those Kickstarter rewards were introduced as exclusive stuff, and that's what made a lot of people decide to support the campaign in the first place. "Give money, get exclusive stuff in return". That's a promise, it's a deal YS Net made with Shenmue fans. They can't just go "thanks for the money, but what we promised in return is now something else, it's no longer exclusive. Because 6000 people don't care". I think 4000 out of 15000 people being against the rewards going to Paypal backers is more than enough to not do it. It doesn't really matter if another 10000 people don't care or if those 4000 people are assholes or not - AJ's decision to not screw these guys over is legit.

The 10000 who voted "yes" or "don't care" are in no way screwed by this decision, while 4000 "no"-voters would have been screwed the other way round.

I fail to see how the KK backers will be screwed if the exclusive rewards goes to the paypal backers too. the kickstarer backers are still getting what they were promised, its not like they are loosing their rewards , and the rewards would have remained exclusive to the backers (PP and KK backers) , in my opinion the ones getting screwed are the paypal backers , because for the same amount of money they are getting less rewards. I would have said the same if the situation was the other way around (exclusive paypal rewards). We all have been waiting for 15 years , we all supported the shenmue 3 idea all those years , we all should get the same rewards. It does not matter if we choose paypal or KK to back the game. The paypal backers are still backers. They are not buying the game in a store in 2018, they are giving their money 2 years in advance just as the KK backers did.

alexironaek has received 2 thanks from: arwinjohn, VukBZ2005
alexironaek

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III