Kickstarter Update 51: Poll Results & Shenmue.link revamp

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Kickstarter Update 51: Poll Results & Shenmue.link revam

Postby SheepheadCG » Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:05 pm

Let's Get Sweaty wrote: To be fair, the GameSpot article is at least factual. We may not like what it says, but the journalism isn't at fault.

We'll see if the same holds true once the others pile on.

Yeh, we have been lucky so far. Kotaku and IGN will fuck it up lol Kotaku linked their top articles of 2015 the other day which included one about Shenmue 3. In that article they linked to their "Sony is funding Shenmue III" post...

My blood started to boil once again. Let's hope they don't run away with it. It's the first day back for most people, please, please don't write a over the top flamefest lol
SheepheadCG
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Steam: sheephead100
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Starcraft 2

Postby Mr357 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:08 pm

Kintor wrote:

Great...

All we need now its likes of IGN, Kotaku or Polygon to get a hold of this story and we'll have a real fiasco on our hands

Site owned by Gawker or some shit

Breaking news!

A recent executive decision by Yu Suzuki himself may have destroyed Shenmue III forever.

He has allegedly told fans to "fuck off, and give Sony more money."

It will interesting to see if he can worm his way out of this one.

More completely honest journalism coming later.

Source: kek
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby shredingskin » Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:18 pm

It's sad, but I think that in trying to do the right thing and not getting getting anyone mad they ended up rustling more feathers than needed.

If they have had done the same rewards from the first second, no one would have batted an eye. If they change it now would be "backers scammed with not exclusive content" or "Yu Suzuki now trying to get more money by scamming backers" or some clickbait like that.

Now it's gonna be "paypal backers get less of a game they backed", "YS goes against backer decisions" or some shit.

I would feel so salty if I was Yu.

shredingskin has received a thanks from: Mr357
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Technophilz » Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:26 pm

Since their horrible Q&A stream with Yu, AJ should've been replaced. The Kickstarter would've been much better without them, and now they'll ruin the PayPal campaign. Moreover, I am not optimistic about trusting a newly-formed game company with a high-profile game like Shenmue, obviously they are still in the learning phase of the UE4 engine, and in today's market where a lot of AAA games exist, they wouldn't have a chance. One mistake after another and the Shenmue legacy we all love is being terribly shattered, and day after day I am starting to think that Sega's decision in wrapping up Shenmue after the second game might not be totally wrong after all.... I blame YS.net for all of this btw.
Technophilz
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Shenmue IIx

Postby SheepheadCG » Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:40 pm

People need to understand that even though AJ are morons, they are not going to interfere with the games development. I thought this was pretty obvious. Fair enough, they can impact how the game will turn out in terms of YS.net's funds, but that is it.
When you say your "not optimistic about trusting a newly-formed game company with a high-profile game like Shenmue" that just sounds strange, seeing as it is with many of the Original people who created it lol Everything we have seen so far of the ACTUAL GAME/Prototype tells me that they still have that magical touch and feeling that oozed out of Shenmue to make it the game we all love.

Yes, AJ are dickbags, but Yu and the team who are working on the game are fine.

SheepheadCG has received 2 thanks from: Reprise, VukBZ2005
SheepheadCG
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Steam: sheephead100
Currently playing: Starcraft 2

Postby Spaghetti » Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:15 pm

Technophilz wrote: Since their horrible Q&A stream with Yu, AJ should've been replaced. The Kickstarter would've been much better without them, and now they'll ruin the PayPal campaign. Moreover, I am not optimistic about trusting a newly-formed game company with a high-profile game like Shenmue, obviously they are still in the learning phase of the UE4 engine, and in today's market where a lot of AAA games exist, they wouldn't have a chance. One mistake after another and the Shenmue legacy we all love is being terribly shattered, and day after day I am starting to think that Sega's decision in wrapping up Shenmue after the second game might not be totally wrong after all.... I blame YS.net for all of this btw.

Now this is just descending into ridiculousness.

YSnet is not a newly formed game company, and neither is development partner Neilo. The development team consists of many Shenmue, AM2, and current game development veterans as well as experienced new faces like Nocon Kid. There is also nothing wrong with learning an engine while you develop your first game with it, even with engines with a tremendous amount of documentation on usage like UE4.

I'm mad about how the poll results were used too, but suddenly saying you think Shenmue should have just been left at two games after all? Give me a fucking break, don't be so melodramatic and grow up.

Spaghetti has received 5 thanks from: Jibby, Mr357, Reprise, SheepheadCG, VukBZ2005
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby ianpm31 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:21 pm

Technophilz wrote: Since their horrible Q&A stream with Yu, AJ should've been replaced. The Kickstarter would've been much better without them, and now they'll ruin the PayPal campaign. Moreover, I am not optimistic about trusting a newly-formed game company with a high-profile game like Shenmue, obviously they are still in the learning phase of the UE4 engine, and in today's market where a lot of AAA games exist, they wouldn't have a chance. One mistake after another and the Shenmue legacy we all love is being terribly shattered, and day after day I am starting to think that Sega's decision in wrapping up Shenmue after the second game might not be totally wrong after all.... I blame YS.net for all of this btw.

This is over-exaggerating a bit

ianpm31 has received a thanks from: SheepheadCG
ianpm31
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby James Brown » Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:25 pm

Spaghetti wrote:There is also nothing wrong with learning an engine while you develop your first game with it, even with engines with a tremendous amount of documentation on usage like UE4.

And also don't forget, the original Shenmue was built from it's own unique engine tailor made for that game! I think Yu and his experienced team can handle an engine which is new to them :)!
James Brown
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

XBL: skilljimmeh

Postby Spaghetti » Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:36 pm

James Brown wrote:
Spaghetti wrote:There is also nothing wrong with learning an engine while you develop your first game with it, even with engines with a tremendous amount of documentation on usage like UE4.

And also don't forget, the original Shenmue was built from it's own unique engine tailor made for that game! I think Yu and his experienced team can handle an engine which is new to them :)!

Also this.

AJ blundering over and over on public relations is ultimately not in the remit of Yu Suzuki and YSnet. Does Yu shoulder some blame for having AJ on-board to manage the Kickstarter and PayPal campaigns? Yes, but we know for a fact Awesome Japan weren't Yu's first, or even second choice (8-4 and Ryan Payton, though I'm not sure who was asked first). It could be AJ aren't even third choice, or who knows how long down the list they were to get the job. Awesome Japan running the Kickstarter and PayPal is unfortunately a marriage of convenience, Yu didn't go "These are the guys to make this happen!", and it's looking increasingly like AJ were a party he put his faith and trust into, and they did not deliver as they should have.

$6.5 million raised is ultimately on the back of the fans getting out there tirelessly to promote this series and make it sound like a worthwhile venture. The promotion was shoddy and they didn't know how to manage a Kickstarter of this scale, and they're continually misunderstanding how to deal with their audience. The fans could, and have, done a better job of promoting Shenmue 3 and making sense of AJ's messes.

Fuck you, Awesome Japan.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Technophilz » Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:40 pm

Spaghetti wrote:

YSnet is not a newly formed game company, and neither is development partner Neilo. The development team consists of many Shenmue, AM2, and current game development veterans as well as experienced new faces like Nocon Kid. There is also nothing wrong with learning an engine while you develop your first game with it, even with engines with a tremendous amount of documentation on usage like UE4.

I'm mad about how the poll results were used too, but suddenly saying you think Shenmue should have just been left at two games after all? Give me a fucking break, don't be so melodramatic and grow up.

Ys Net Inc :Since its foundation in 2008, Ys Net has published "ONE" short-lived web game: Shenmue World. Source

Neilo Games :Since its foundation in 2010, Neilo Games has published "ONE" vita "dancing" game to mixed to bad reviews: Orgarhythm. Source

A game like Shenmue 3 is NOT the guinea pig to learn how to develop using a new game engine with.

Game development has come a long way since the days of the original Shenmue. You need to grow up and realise that things have moved way forward since, and you also need to grow up to understand that what used to work in the days of the original Dreamcast doesn't in today's market.
Technophilz

Postby Amir » Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:41 pm

Spaghetti wrote: The fans could, and have, done a better job of promoting Shenmue 3 and making sense of AJ's messes.

Isn't that what we've done though? I mean, what else could we have done during the campaign/up to now? I'm sure Awesome Japan has all sorts of ideas that don't get okayed by Suzuki & co., lord knows I've submitted tons to them, for whatever reason they haven't been implemented.
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Steam: AmirMoosavi
Currently playing: Vanquish (PC)

Postby Amir » Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:44 pm

Technophilz wrote: I am starting to think that Sega's decision in wrapping up Shenmue after the second game might not be totally wrong after all.... I blame YS.net for all of this btw.

You honestly think Suzuki would have wanted to leave Sega and his coworkers at AM2 if Sega had let them make Shenmue III? Hell, Suzuki lasted longer than some of his peers; Tetsuya Mizuguchi left Sega in October 2003 not long after the merger with Sammy and set up his own company Q? Entertainment, working on N3: Ninety-Nine Nights and eventually working on the "spiritual successor" to Rez, Child of Eden (it couldn't even be called Eden as was originally planned as Sega owned that trademark for a Rez sequel).

If you don't like the look of Shenmue III, you're free not to play it, but there was no other way this game was getting made.

Amir has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Steam: AmirMoosavi
Currently playing: Vanquish (PC)

Postby Spaghetti » Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:47 pm

Technophilz wrote:
Spaghetti wrote:

Ys Net Inc :Since its foundation in 2008, Ys Net has published "ONE" short-lived web game: Shenmue World. Source

Neilo Games :Since its foundation in 2010, Neilo Games has published "ONE" vita "dancing" game to mixed to bad reviews: Orgarhythm. Source

A game like Shenmue 3 is NOT the guinea pig to learn how to develop using a new game engine with.

Game development has come a long way since the days of the original Shenmue. You need to grow up and realise that things have moved way forward since, and you also need to grow up to understand that what used to work in the days of the original Dreamcast doesn't in today's market.

The fuck are you even talking about? Neilo and YSnet are still full of very experienced people and you can't ignore that.

Part of learning the engine is still part of modern game development too. Unreal Engine 3, first game developed by Epic to learn and refine the engine? Gears of War. FOX Engine, first game developed by Kojima Productions to learn and refine the game engine? Metal Gear Solid V Ground Zeroes. I can also assure you Square Enix development teams are learning UE4 while developing: Kingdom Hearts 3, Final Fantasy 7 Remake Part One, Dragon Quest XI, etc.

Stop being ignorant. Not every single member who comes on board for a development project has to automatically be a master of a game engine, else nothing would ever get fucking made. You get senior staff experienced in the engine who teach the engine to other staff at the same time as developing a game with it. These kinds of staff are who Yu has put a priority on hiring, and there are already staff at Neilo who know how to use the engine judging from one of the first KS videos.

Don't be ignorant, stop pretending the sky is falling, and get some fucking perspective.

Spaghetti has received 4 thanks from: Giorgio, Reprise, SheepheadCG, VukBZ2005
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Technophilz » Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:54 pm

Amir wrote:
If you don't like the look of Shenmue III, you're free not to play it, but there was no other way this game was getting made.

I am not happy with how Shenmue 3 is being handled. I know there's no other way it'd be getting made, but judging from how gloomy things are currently looking, there's also no way we'll live long enough to see another one getting made.

Check out indie projects like Armikrog and Mighty No.9 and see what I mean.
Technophilz

Postby Giorgio » Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:17 pm

Spaghetti wrote: [...]

Fuck you, Awesome Japan.

Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"