Kickstarter Update 51: Poll Results & Shenmue.link revamp

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Kickstarter Update 51: Poll Results & Shenmue.link revam

Postby Yokosuka » Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:17 am

mjq jazz bar wrote: I think the Sony stuff was overblown, but I think Ys Net and their public relations team own most of the other backlash they've received. The actual game is all that matters anyway, so hopefully that's what gets all their love and attention.

I disagree because that means every independant studios has no margin for mistakes. Not all studios can afford budgets for promotion and it's the case of YSnet who can't make CGI to please people.
AJ are fools but that does not give the right to journalists of not doing their job. Their lack of professional rigour is astonishing and scandalous. They should help developers, not trying to put a spoke on their wheel to get their clicks. They're simply killing honest developers and making their task harder as never before. Our PR team is stupid but never dishonest.

Yokosuka has received 3 thanks from: Reprise, Spaghetti, VukBZ2005
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby mjq jazz bar » Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:26 am

My problem is they don't seem to acknowledge their numerous mistakes. A simple follow-up E-mail explaining no one is losing their rewards would help. Chances are it'll take another month before we see anything. Maybe they're only being paid to work once a month? I have no insight. I'm just a guy on the net.

I think the concern about this latest mishap is somewhat overblown simply because the funding was supposed to end last month anyway. They're making more than they originally set out to, so that's a positive. The more troubling aspect is no mention of the PC version or the promised Kickstarter upgrades.

mjq jazz bar has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: mortimerOA
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

Postby VukBZ2005 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:21 pm

I finally went on my Twitter an hour ago and can see what Peter is talking about. However, the problem isn't so much to calm down the emotionally charged responses as it is for those behind the game to carefully(!) resolve the situation. It is only then we will be able to both cut off the response and mount an effective defence against the Anti-Shenmue attacks.
VukBZ2005
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Steam: VukBZ2005
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Shenmue III (PS4) ;)

Postby Spaghetti » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:37 pm

Part of the problem on Twitter is that a lot of spambots got hold of the article so searching for Shenmue is just populated with the same bad articles that just proliferate the story. Some Youtuber also made a video but I don't have the patience to go through something I already know is going to be incorrect from the outset. It seems to be passed around Xbox fan circles on Twitter mostly.

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Giorgio » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:56 pm

Spaghetti wrote: This has completely run away from Awesome Japan and yet again damaging the campaign. Over a poll. A fucking poll.

Fire Awesome Japan. They are useless.

I can't deny that there is a part of my thoughts/wishes that had like this to happen. However! On a second thought, I imagine if Ys Net decides to fire AJ that will create an even more bad press in the media. It will actually reaffirm the past negative claims [of the quality (shadiness for them) around Shenmue III's crowdfunding situation] of the click-bait journalists. It seems to me that it has come to a point that AJ is a necessary evil to hold with until the release of Shenmue III.

Giorgio has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: Yakuza series

Postby Spaghetti » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:02 pm

Giorgio wrote:
Spaghetti wrote: This has completely run away from Awesome Japan and yet again damaging the campaign. Over a poll. A fucking poll.

Fire Awesome Japan. They are useless.

I can't deny that there is a part of my thoughts/wishes that had like this to happen. However! On a second thought, I imagine if Ys Net decides to fire AJ that will create an even more bad press in the media. It will actually reaffirm the past negative claims [of the quality (shadiness for them) around Shenmue III's crowdfunding situation] of the click-bait journalists. It seems to me that it has come to a point that AJ is a necessary evil to hold with until the release of Shenmue III.

That is a point, but it's plainly obvious without someone looking over their shoulder that AJ will never be able to avoid blunders like they've already made. Yu can't do it, and neither can Cedric. A nice middle ground would be to pull in an experienced public relations person, but I don't know if that can even happen at this stage or who that'd even be. If Ryan Payton wasn't working on his own game currently I'd say he would be a prime candidate. An experienced game producer, a former games journalist with contacts, and someone who has run a Kickstarter before. It's a real shame he couldn't say yes when Yu originally asked him.

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby shredingskin » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:26 pm

To be honest, I still can't wrap my head around having real Shenmue 3 news that make me sad.

I think I'll just stop interneting.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby James Brown » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:39 pm

The biggest problem here is the poor wording AJ have used in there kickstarter update, which has made people who aren't in the know like us, think that what they're actually saying is as bad as it reads. So everyone spreading the false information has literally read that line as non of the rewards will be offered to Paypal backers. As in, everyone who has already backed using the Paypal site can just wave bye to their money and they won't even get the game. That's the way the information is being spread around at the moment. I tried to correct every comment on that Polygon link, because the response from users was so naive it's untrue, but unfortunately I guess some automated system banned me for "spamming", so non of my replies have stood.

It's a shame this is happening, because it is truely damaging, it's not just this one news website, and it's not even the others, it's the combination of them all, and the users that are reading this misinformation who then in turn spread it aswell. This is literally a complete fuck up by AJ, and it's crazy that it hasn't been corrected by now. Everything seems to take them so long. Why are they allowing the game, and the campaign to be shat on like this, the internet is full enough of trolls in general, but feeding them something like this to farm off, and not trying to stop it, makes them seem plausible.

I know it's disgusting the way these sites and news outlets work looking for clickbait, and right now I wouldn't expect them to report any good things about the project, or if AJ had corrected the misinformation, I wouldn't expect them to make a big headline about it, they're only looking for the negatives of course...I don't know if this particular story is fixable right now - but they haven't even tried as of yet which is making the whole situation rather stressful, watching random people bash the game series based on something that isn't remotely affecting the quality of the game.

James Brown has received 4 thanks from: Giorgio, Kiske, VukBZ2005, Yokosuka
James Brown
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

XBL: skilljimmeh

Postby Yokosuka » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:45 pm

The same :
Your comment: What a lying and shameful journalism from Polygon and everybody blindly fall in. Paypal backers will still get their physical copies and 100% of their promised rewards. That’s not even confused from the PR team, the kickstarter exclusive rewards were pretty clear : an ingame phone card, online desktop wallpapers and some other ingame items that only a few cares. 90% of the rewards will be available to the Paypal backers. Thanks you to harm a honest campaign again.

Using your first comment to make rude accusations and violate our guidelines shows us you're not here for any productive reasons. You are now banned from Polygon.
http://www.polygon.com/pages/community-guidelines

Complaining about coverage: We cover a wide array of topics, not all of which are easy, comfortable, or reflective of your personal views and may touch on issues normally considered 'outside' of gaming such as feminism, sexual assault or religious beliefs. While we're not against discussions of our coverage, comments containing plainly stated accusations of bias, complaints about the frequency of articles on a topic, and complaints about whether something is newsworthy are usually an indication that you're not trying to be a productive member of the community. We'll have words and remove posts to get conversation back on track. This also applies to review scores.

Polygon Moderation Team

They're not totally wrong though, my comment was a little rude. Don't do the same mistake as mine, stay polite more than you might think and focus on putting facts forward. Don't hesitate to write long posts with sources if necessary.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Giorgio » Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:38 pm

I found the following in the comments of the Kickstarter page:

Ghost of Tom 'Skairkroh' Bule about 10 hours ago

Response from YsNet/Awesome Japan regarding the poll:
Hello Tom,
Thank you very much for your message. We understand that there is a lot of disappointment among fans who wanted the Kickstarter exclusives to be made available.
Since the launch of the Paypal campaign we have received numerous requests to remove exclusivity from certain Kickstarter rewards and make them available for the Slacker Backer campaign as well.
We held the poll as a method to gain more accurate insight on backer opinions concerning this matter since we could not be sure that the requests we received represented the opinion of the vast majority of the backers.
The poll was intended to gauge whether the backers felt that an exception could be made considering that the promise of exclusivity was already established. We felt that upholding this promise should be our foremost consideration.
The majority of respondents did not feel strongly enough about exclusivity to vote either yes or no. While the votes in favor of removing exclusivity marginally outnumbered those against, they did not represent a majority opinion in the poll.
The poll numbers do show that there are also many backers who do not wish to give up their exclusive rewards.
We feel that the logical conclusion to these results is to leave exclusivity as it is because there was not enough support to justify making an exception to go back on our original promise.
We are very happy that so many people responded and we hope we can continue to count on the support of the community.
Sincerely,
Oscar & the Shenmue 3 Team

It seems AJ is capable to reply one-on-one but inept of publicly explain their reasonings?

Giorgio has received a thanks from: Yokosuka
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: Yakuza series

Postby Yokosuka » Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:00 pm

Perhaps they're waiting Yu Suzuki to issue himself public excuses for their own foolishness ? :lol:

Looks like they're preparing carefully their official answer as they're afraid of being misinterpreted again. The potential need of approval from Ysnet might also explain the lack of reaction.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:11 pm

Peter wrote:Twitter was the same this morning, and I unfollowed 3 separate Shenmue accounts because all they have been retweeting is negative comments, and links to clickbait. I'd love to know why, because all they are doing is promoting them.

I imagine these would have been accounts that automatically retweet any mention of Shenmue, incapable of telling good from bad.
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby Spaghetti » Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:39 pm

It doesn't seem like AJ are willing to accept responsibility for the mess or attempt to make it right in a timely fashion.

In other news I just posted a thread about this on GAF and went and screwed up posting in the off topic board instead. That's what I get for writing some mad, overly long, kinda heartfelt but frustrated account of the last few days.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby VukBZ2005 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:10 pm

Crap! This is getting worse by the minute. Just when you think things have reached some kind of consensus, there goes the Anti-Shenmue Gaming Media and Troll Brigade, pouring fuel onto the fire and making it worse.
VukBZ2005
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Steam: VukBZ2005
Currently playing: Shenmue III (PS4) ;)

Postby Kiske » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:26 pm

VukBZ2005 wrote: Crap! This is getting worse by the minute. Just when you think things have reached some kind of consensus, there goes the Anti-Shenmue Gaming Media and Troll Brigade, pouring fuel onto the fire and making it worse.

The only things we fans, can do for now are:
1. Damage Control.
2. Reinstate the truth about the Rewards situation.
3. Hope AJ are coming soon with a strong and understandable statement.
4. Wait for the next storm above Shenmueland...

Kiske has received 2 thanks from: James Brown, VukBZ2005
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III