Random Shenmue III Thoughts

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Random Shenmue III Thoughts

Postby SMDzero » Sun May 08, 2016 9:01 pm

FlagshipFighter wrote:
SMDzero wrote:
-=SPZ=-47 wrote:
Kiske wrote: In your opinion, did Cédric Biscay say too much this time?

Q: Why not launch a crowdfunding for the Xbox One version? It's a shame to do without 20 million of players.

A: The PS4 has console exclusivity.

Q: Did Sony buy the exclusivity? The Kickstarter FAQ's says Xbox One version is not impossible.

If true/confirmed, what could a strong Sony PS4 exclusivity mean for the future (and the past) of the Shenmue franchise?

Honestly... to hell with microsoft! They had their chanses! Like over a decade. Also Yu Suzuki contacted them. Where were they? Busy making halo 26?

Personally there's not a single title on xbox that I'm interested in. And after Shenmue 3 Kickstarter I don't care about it at all.

Microsoft was smart to pass on he title... Shenmue has proven to bomb on Xbox.

Xbox gamers by and large aren't the sort that can appreciate experimental games like Shenmue.

Show an Xbox gamer a game where your character doesn't have a gun and the object isn't to kill everyone and he will not know what to do.

Xbox gamers like xtreme continuous action type games.. not Shenmue.

Not sure if i completely agree with this statement. Sure Shenmue 2x commercially bombed, but the original xbox hardly had much traction in terms of install-base at the time. Factor in that basically no game for xbox OG sold well outside of halo. I actually chose an xbox OG over ps2 for shenmue 2, no other reason, and i was like 15.

As for console demographic, I'd have to disagree further. Sure, there was a difference in gamers tastes and needs back in the 6th gen era, but there's hardly a difference between xbox one and ps4 gamers now, especially since console parity is closer than ever and the mass market/audiences have grown. You could make a case for Japanese gamer enthusiasts leaning towards PS4 but this 'dude-bro' image that you have for xbox gamers definitely isn't the case and I'm sure there's just as many of them for ps4. Don't forget that the likes of xbla was what curated storefront for independent and unique titles.

Anyway tl;dr Shenmue 3 deserved a second consideration for MS, and by the looks of things Phil Spencer said he wanted to focus on first parties which is okay (even if really Cedric told us that they presented a low offer and unenthusiastically. I'm glad YS.NET took whatever decision lead to actually getting the game in a steady traction)

I've just encountered too many Xbox owners who are obsessed with snowboarding, weed, and mountain dew. I try to show them Shenmue 3 and they don't like it :sad:

SMDzero has received 2 thanks from: FlagshipFighter, GYO6161
SMDzero
Banned
Banned

Postby Centrale » Mon May 09, 2016 12:10 pm

Before this devolves into further fanboyism, I'd just like to remind everyone of the existence of people (and option to become such a person) who owns more than one console. Strawman response: you have to be rich to own both an Xbox and PS. Reality: deals and bundles are available regularly for $300 and less. This isn't like owning multiple houses and multiple cars. Sort it out.

Furthermore - how about not being disrespectful to the Xbox owners who did support and buy Shenmue on the Xbox? In fact, Shenmue II was one of the main reasons I got an OG Xbox back in the day (the other main reason being JSRF).

Lastly - try to move on from allowing brand loyalty to form part of your identity. You are not what you own. It's understandable considering this: http://arstechnica.com/science/2011/08/ ... elf-image/ But this is something to work on rising above, not something to wallow in.

Centrale has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Centrale
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Giorgio » Fri May 13, 2016 10:12 am

333 days ago, Shenmue 3 was announced on Sony PlayStation's stage at E3 2015 (the E3 of dreams).

Giorgio has received 5 thanks from: FlagshipFighter, Kiske, Mr357, ShenGCH, Spaghetti
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: Yakuza series

Postby Kiske » Wed May 18, 2016 5:22 am

A few words on Mighty No. 9 final rush.

It seems that FanGames is taking care of the rewards for the backers.
Is it the same company taking care of the Shenmue 3 rewards?

Anyway, last monday, Comcept sent a plateform Survey to the backers.
There was already a Survey last year apparently, but it will not be taken into account so every eligible backer has to fill the new Survey again.

The Survey link they sent last monday had an issue and so yesterday they started a new Survey.
According to the Mighty No. 9 updates (comments) section, the situation is very confusing for backers and a lot of them are pretty angry, to say the least.

On top of that, backers have a deadline (May 29) in order to fill the Survey, otherwise they will get a steam code for the PC version.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mi ... ts/1578128

My point is, I really, really really hope that AJ/YsNet/FanGames will handle the rewards for Shenmue 3 backers in a proper way. The bad press around Mighty No. 9 is huge and now, with the rewards problems they are facing, even the fans are losing faith in Inafune and Comcept.

Shenmue 3 doesn't need this... hopefully everything will go fine... even if there will be around 75,000 backers if not more in the end.

Kiske has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby FlagshipFighter » Wed May 18, 2016 6:42 am

Kiske wrote:A few words on Mighty No. 9 final rush.

It seems that FanGames is taking care of the rewards for the backers.

Anyway, last monday, Comcept sent a plateform Survey to the backers.
There was already a Survey last year apparently, but it will not be taken into account so every eligible backer has to fill the new Survey again.

The Survey link they sent last monday had an issue and so yesterday they started a new Survey.
According to the Mighty No. 9 updates (comments) section, the situation is very confusing for backers and a lot of them are pretty angry, to say the least.

On top of that, backers have a deadline (May 29) in order to fill the Survey, otherwise they will get a steam code for the PC version.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mi ... ts/1578128

My point is, I really, really really hope that AJ/YsNet/FanGames will handle the rewards for Shenmue 3 backers in a proper way. The bad press around Mighty No. 9 is huge and now, with the rewards problems they are facing, even the fans are losing faith in Inafune and Comcept.

Shenmue 3 doesn't need this... hopefully everything will go fine... even if there will be around 75,000 backers if not more in the end.

As much as I hope AJ is getting their act together and planning accordingly for what essentially is the biggest kickstarter and backer-base in gaming, I think it's best for us. The thing is, they are comprised of a very small amount of people and much of this is new to them so they are having to learn as they go along (admittingly, for the scale of this kickstarter might be challenging to most) HOPEFULLY they'll be okay and they will have learnt from their past mistakes/communication errors. I think the best course is for us to be ready if things do go awry and post on social media etc so we can carry the communication much easier.

The advantage for AJ here is that they will be more experienced after dealing and delivering Shenmue 3, whether it will handled well or not. But we want to ensure they make the least amount of mistakes for Shenmue 3 as possible (because really, unless they do Shenmue 4, I really don't have much of a reason to care much about the fate of them, at least for me... is that mean?). We just need for make sure we communicate to them any of our concerns early in order for them to quickly charter their course in the right direction and prevent as much 'media bombs' as they can!
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: FlagshipFighter
XBL: FlagshipFighter
Steam: FlagshipFighter
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby Amir » Tue May 24, 2016 7:45 am

Another photo of Suzuki with Corsi and Boyes:

Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Steam: AmirMoosavi
Currently playing: Vanquish (PC)

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Wed May 25, 2016 6:30 pm

An early build of the Shenmue III credits has already been leaked:

Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby Sappharad » Wed May 25, 2016 7:37 pm

Kiske wrote:It seems that FanGames is taking care of the rewards for the backers.

I'm assuming this meant to say FanGamer.

They also did the physical rewards for Double Fine Adventure, the awesome Dreamcast T-Shirt the came with the Sega humble bundle in late 2014, the strategy guide for the Mother 3 fan translation, and they sell merchandise for a bunch of indie games. The Shenmue 3 kickstarter confirmed that the Ryo replica jacket is being made by fangamer, so I assume they could be handling at least some of the physical stuff.

They are great, I don't think you have anything to worry about if Shenmue 3 ends up using them for distributing physical goods.

Sappharad has received a thanks from: Kiske
Sappharad
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Spaghetti » Wed May 25, 2016 8:27 pm

Yeah, Fangamer are legit. I can't remember where the quote is, but apparently they're fulfilling all physical KS rewards.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Re: Random Shenmue 3 Thoughts

Postby SMDzero » Wed May 25, 2016 9:07 pm

shredingskin wrote:
Peter wrote:Although I wouldn't be against keeping LanDi completely in the dark until close to the game release. His model, and design I just feel are gonna be as badass as we will have ever seen him. Close to Shenmue Online LanDi I'd say.

Just show his eyes.

Will the power of the PS4 allow them to give Lan Di long free-flowing hair as originally intended?
SMDzero
Banned
Banned

Postby Spaghetti » Wed May 25, 2016 9:22 pm

SMDzero wrote:Will the power of the PS4 allow them to give Lan Di long free-flowing hair as originally intended?

I've thought about this recently actually. Potential spoilers, if any of this comes true:

I have the feeling during, or right before the fight with Ryo, Lan Di's hair will get cut or unbraided somehow, so it blows freely during the fight. I also think the fight is going to take place in the wind and rain, in the very centre of a burning tulou.

Sounds cool, right?
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby ShenGCH » Wed May 25, 2016 11:06 pm

SMDzero wrote:
shredingskin wrote:
Peter wrote:Although I wouldn't be against keeping LanDi completely in the dark until close to the game release. His model, and design I just feel are gonna be as badass as we will have ever seen him. Close to Shenmue Online LanDi I'd say.

Just show his eyes.

Will the power of the PS4 allow them to give Lan Di long free-flowing hair as originally intended?

Shouldn't be a problem, but only if it's necessary.
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Re: Shenmue III - ALL THE FACTS AND INFORMATION (THUS FAR)

Postby Toua77 » Thu May 26, 2016 4:14 pm

https://twitter.com/CedricBiscay

Guy must be loaded. Everything he does looks expensive lol :shock:
Toua77
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Postby Spaghetti » Thu May 26, 2016 11:45 pm

I went back and read all the development related Kickstarter updates since August to refresh my memory on stuff Yu has said on how development is generally progressing. The Work Flow document in the early December update was a real help in figuring out where we are, actually!

We're still in the Function Testing phase as of March, but that's seemingly where a bulk of the legwork in development and experimentation seems to be. We've not actually seen much of this phase outside the prototype game world (with day/night cycle and weather effects), but we know as early as October last year they were testing combat-related stuff like destruction physics and environmental attacks, and test relating to camera angles and dialogue systems. There's probably a lot we haven't seen so far of the testing, actually.

I really only checked up on this stuff for my own amusement, but it definitely helped put production as a whole in perspective for me.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Spaghetti » Sun May 29, 2016 12:56 pm

Double post but I'm not sure I've seen this posted before: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/shenmue-fan-art

Pretty awesome 3D model of Ryo. Not quite 100% perfect, but I seriously hope they can approach this level of detail in Ryo's Shenmue III model.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III