What are your top 10 favorite SNES games?

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

What are your top 10 favorite SNES games?

Postby Eisuke7 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:49 am

Time for some nostalgia! For most of us (I assume), the SNES era was an important part of our childhood. I too, grew up playing on my SNES, and to this day, have more fond memories of it than any other system. But even if I forget about the nostalgia, it cannot be denied that the SNES boasts an amazing library of absolute classics. Therefore, it was quite difficult to make a list, but here are my top 10 favorite SNES games!

Give your opinion on this list and let me know your favorite SNES games too!

10. Final Fantasy VI (FF6)
9. Super Metroid
8. Chrono Trigger
7. Super Mario Kart
6. Street Fighter II
5. Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
4. Donkey Kong Country
3. Earthbound
2. Super Mario World
1. Dragon Quest V (DQ5)

phpBB [video]
Eisuke7
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Re: What are your top 10 favorite SNES games?

Postby Mr357 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:17 pm

Don't be surprised if this gets merged with your other top 10 threads. Ziming doesn't like having a ton of those floating around at once.

As for my list
1. Super Metroid
2. Chrono Trigger
3. Donkey Kong Country
4. TMNT: Turtles in Time
5. Super Mario World
6. LoZ: A Link to the Past
7. Donkey Kong Country 2
8. Super Mario Kart
9. Killer Instinct
10. Street Fighter 2 Turbo
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Thief » Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:32 pm

1-3 (fluctuating order): Chrono Trigger | Super Metroid | Link to the Past
4-10 (no order): Soul Blazer | Earthbound | Donkey Kong Country series | Mega Man X series | Star Fox | Super Mario RPG | Final Fantasy V (or VI)

The Super Nintendo absolutely destroyed its competition. Genesis/Mega Drive had good games, but none of them were anywhere near as deep (mechanically) as the best of Super Nintendo -- especially Link to the Past or Super Metroid. Single best console ever created.

Thief has received a thanks from: Sonikku
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby KidMarine » Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:14 am

Thief wrote:but none of them were anywhere near as deep (mechanically) as the best of Super Nintendo -- especially Link to the Past or Super Metroid.

No offence but how are they even remotely mechanically deep? Not even close in terms of mechanics to something like Alien Soldier or Ranger X.

KidMarine has received a thanks from: OL
KidMarine
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: KiddMarine
Steam: KiddMarine
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Axm » Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:58 am

Aladdin
Jungle Book
Lion King
Toy Story
Peter Pan
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby OL » Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:31 am

Aaaaand of course, my list is almost entirely different from the others. I didn't really play it as a kid though; I only first got an SNES in my early-20s, so my experience might be a little different. Some didn't come out in the west, but I've either played roms or translated repro carts of them.

Actraiser
Soul Blazer
Cybernator
Hagane (probably the most valuable game I own, and a damn fine ninja sidescroller to boot)
Chrono Trigger
Secret of Mana
Illusion of Gaia
Front Mission
Front Mission: Gun Hazard
Tales of Phantasia

There's plenty more I still haven't gotten to play, so as always the list has the potential to change.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Thief » Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:17 am

KidMarine wrote:
Thief wrote:but none of them were anywhere near as deep (mechanically) as the best of Super Nintendo -- especially Link to the Past or Super Metroid.

No offence but how are they even remotely mechanically deep? Not even close in terms of mechanics to something like Alien Soldier or Ranger X.

Personally I believe games like Super Metroid and Link to the Past are a lot more interesting both in mechanics and general game design -- through variance in items and through its physics. Ranger X and Alien Soldier are interesting action games but are incredibly shallow when compared to what can be accomplished in either of the two SNES games. The Genesis was great for Action titles, but none of those titles I would consider to be especially deep, even the two you listed.

OL wrote: I haven't played things

You need to play Super Metroid already. Metroid Prime sucks, I agree, but Super Metroid is the best game ever made that I've encountered (even if it's not my favorite I still think this is true). If any game deserves to be played for the SNES, it's Super Metroid. Even if you end up hating it.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby MiTT3NZ » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:13 am

10) Super Mario Kart
9) Super Mario Kart
8) Super Mario Kart
7) Super Mario Kart
6) Super Mario Kart
5) Super Mario Kart
4) Super Mario Kart
3) Super Mario World
2) Super Mario Kart
1) Super Mario Kart
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby OL » Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:27 pm

Thief wrote:
OL wrote: I haven't played things

You need to play Super Metroid already. Metroid Prime sucks, I agree, but Super Metroid is the best game ever made that I've encountered (even if it's not my favorite I still think this is true). If any game deserves to be played for the SNES, it's Super Metroid. Even if you end up hating it.

Y'know, I've never doubted that it's a good game or anything, it's just kind of an aesthetic aversion to me. Something about Metroid in general has just never really appealed to me, even with everyone insisting that it's amazing. Watched plenty of videos, and I do get the occasional urge to play a bit more, but the feeling just doesn't stick for long. Really not sure what it is exactly.

EDIT: Oh, and just want to mention that Ranger X is a lot (and I mean a loooot) more complex in its gameplay than is initially apparent. The levels might not be very complicated, being mostly just left-to-right affairs, but the control scheme is original from the get-go (separate buttons for firing left or right), it features a solar recharge system which changes from level to level (flying above the trees in the forest, breaking open ceiling holes in the caves, etc), has transformable "buddies" that follow you in most areas and offer their own benefits, and it manages to offer incredible variety considering its short runtime (one highlight being a completely vertical level scaling the side of a skyscraper, as well as one level which actually focuses on stealth).
It's an easy game to disregard as a simple shooter with a quick glance, but there's a lot more beneath the hood than you'd expect. To me, one of the most underrated/underappreciated games ever made. Should have been a major hit, if Sega wasn't so busy promoting the SegaCD at the time.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Sonikku » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:09 am

Mega Man X
Super Mario All Stars
Super Mario RPG
Ninja Gaiden Trilogy
Pirates of Dark Water
Turtles in Time
James Bond Jr
Aladdin (prefer the Genesis version but they're both great games despite being completely different)
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Return to General Gaming