Shenmue guestbook dilemma

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Shenmue guestbook dilemma

Postby koalazeus » Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:35 am

One of the main things I loved about backing the Shenmue kickstarter was the chance to write a message that will be incorporated into the Choubu inn guestbook. Just the idea of having a direct input into the game still makes me very happy.

However, I'm in doubt as to what angle to come at it from. Personally I'd want it to be consistent with the game world and not a comment referencing the real world/kickstarter/15 year wait etc, or even the game as a game. On the other hand in 1987 I still wouldn't have been born for another few years, which makes it difficult (in my head) for the comment to be both personal to me and a part of the realism of Shenmue. I may just end up leaving an anonymous review about the comfortable beds and relaxing atmosphere.

Has anyone else thought about how they will write their comment? Would it bother you if the comments were immersion breaking?
koalazeus
Asia Travel Representative

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Not as much as I'd like

Re: Shenmue guestbook dilemma

Postby Yokosuka » Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:39 am

Haha I got the same dilemma and that's the reason I didn't pledge that high for now.
I consider the guestbook as a subtile way to celebrate Shenmue III with the fans from all over the world inside the game so I can deal pretty easily with the lack of realism.

I was first thinking about a tribute to some friends and family but since there is a slim chance they'll play Shenmue (despite my secret efforts), I choose to give up. I'm definitely not a creative person.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Kiske » Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:45 am

Didn't pledge for this reward neither, but if I had to write a message in it, I would write the same kind of things I would write in real life.

"Hello! Thank you for your warm welcome, loved Choubu! Hope to come back soon for a fourth journey! Kiske, Switzerland"

Not very original... but consistent with the game world :oops:

Kiske has received a thanks from: Yokosuka
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby Yokosuka » Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:54 am

Kiske wrote: Didn't pledge for this reward neither, but if I had to write a message in it, I would write the same kind of things I would write in real life.

"Hello! Thank you for your warm welcome, loved Choubu! Hope to come back soon for a fourth journey! Kiske, Switzerland"

I like it but may I add my slight personal modification?

"Hello! Thank you for your warm welcome, loved Choubu! Hope to come back soon for a fourth journey! Lan Di, China"

Yokosuka has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Kiske » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:26 am

Yokosuka wrote:
Kiske wrote: Didn't pledge for this reward neither, but if I had to write a message in it, I would write the same kind of things I would write in real life.

I like it but may I add my slight personal modification?

"Hello! Thank you for your warm welcome, loved Choubu! Hope to come back soon for a fourth journey! Lan Di, China"

That is a great message! :mrgreen:

Although I wouldn't go back to the place if I ever read that!
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby Fenix » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:14 am

Put something like Monkey Island:

I pledged 600$ and all I got is that stupid message.
Fenix
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: 3D Studio Max

Postby koalazeus » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:32 pm

Ha! It makes me wonder if they will put some guidelines on what people can write. Nothing that will create a time paradox for example... or just let us have fun with it. I guess there were parts of Shenmue 1/2 that were playfull in that way, like the Shenmue capsule toy.
koalazeus

Currently playing: Not as much as I'd like

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:38 pm

Immersion is guaranteed to be broken by someone out there, who isn't reading this thread and won't think twice about making their message "Shenmue 3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Pls also make Shenmue 0, I want to play as Iwao. Go Lakers." So I wouldn't worry about being the first or only one to do it.
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby Peter » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:44 pm

Be unique, and draw the classic schoolyard cock, with balls and pube dots. Always good for a laugh.

I dare ya.

Peter has received 2 thanks from: iyapol, jakester
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Tsubasa » Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:01 pm

I think you cannot make people pay an as huge amount of bucks, then request from them writing something that could be part of Shenmue consistency. Backers' photos posters on wall at the pier will be the same shit but it is part of the deal.
However -and despite I paid for the $800 reward-, I do really hope YsNet will have common sense to include an option to activate/disable all in-game backers' rewards. In order to not impose it to players, it would be the best solution. Everybody will be happy : backers will be able to activate it and enjoy it during their game, and others players will not be disturb by those non-consistent shitty stuff.
Tsubasa

Postby Spaghetti » Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:50 pm

The series has a history of being self-referential in unsubtle ways (Shenmue and Dreamcast written on containers and palettes in the harbour, Shenhua on chocolate, literally getting the theme music on a tape, etc), so I'm not particularly bothered by this.

Worst comes to worst, I just won't look at the guestbook or the photos... but I probably will just to honour (?) the people who gave generously to the campaign.

You all better work hard to get my capsule toy figure at least.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Tsubasa » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:13 pm

Spaghetti wrote: The series has a history of being self-referential in unsubtle ways (Shenmue and Dreamcast written on containers and palettes in the harbour, Shenhua on chocolate, literally getting the theme music on a tape, etc), so I'm not particularly bothered by this.

Worst comes to worst, I just won't look at the guestbook or the photos... but I probably will just to honour (?) the people who gave generously to the campaign.

You all better work hard to get my capsule toy figure at least.

I am fine with self-referential as it is developer's will. But I am convinced that being exposed to in-game backers' rewards should not be imposed to players.
Don't you guys think it would be smart and wise to have an option menu giving choice between "Backer Edition" and "Regular Edition"? I mean just like the weather option in the first Shenmue.
Tsubasa

Postby Yokosuka » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:21 pm

Tsubasa wrote:I am fine with self-referential as it is developer's will. But I am convinced that being exposed to in-game backer's reward should not be imposed to players.
Don't you guys think it would be smart and wise to have an option menu giving choice between "Backer Edition" and "Regular Edition"? I mean just like the weather option in the first Shenmue.

Technically, most backers paid through the nose to be viewed around the world.

An choice option seems to be the ideal solution but let's be realistic, you can keep dreaming. :)
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Tsubasa » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:32 pm

Yokosuka wrote:
Tsubasa wrote:I am fine with self-referential as it is developer's will. But I am convinced that being exposed to in-game backer's reward should not be imposed to players.

Technically, most backers paid through the nose to be viewed around the world.

An choice option seems to be the ideal solution but let's be realistic, you can keep dreaming. :)

Your answer leads my thoughts to another question: Shenmue fans who backed the game, are they as ego-centered as they will refuse an introduced option that would allow other players not being forced to undergo all those non-desired by Yu Suzuki in-game contents? I refuse to believe Shenmue fans are as selfish. As I said, I have personally backed for the $800 reward (+much more since, I am around a $1000 donation) but even if I think it will be funny to read my tribute in the guestbook and have my face on a dice, I would like to be able to play the Best Game Ever third iteration as close as its creator's vision, without all those corrupting elements.
Tsubasa

Postby fittersau » Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:34 am

I'm not sure it is such a big deal. Just look at it or ignore it then move on.
fittersau
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Next

Return to Shenmue III