Nintendo Switch

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Nintendo Switch

Postby Axm » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:06 am

So today after watching more Youtube video's about the Switch I was kinda getting the hype bug about it. Like "oh man it's region free and will have VC games and Zelda looks kinda cool and blah blah blah...

Then reality set in again. Why would I pay over $400 console+game+tax all said and done to play 1 freaking game at launch that I'm just kinda interested in when PS4 is about to have a ridiculous amount of great games the next few months..

Gravity Rush 2
RE7
Nioh
Horizon Zero Dawn
Nier Automata
Mass Effect Andromeda
MLB The Show 17
Persona 5

And then not to mention I still havent picked up The Last Guardian, finished FFXV or half my backlog for that matter..

Sometimes we gotta just take a second to think things out, not be spoiled just cause it's a new toy to get and realize... PS4 is just a better system lols long live the Kazunori.

Axm has received a thanks from: OL
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Coromasta » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:04 pm

Wait, you pay tax over the initial 300 dollars the switch costs? Sorry I've never really understood the tax system in the states.
Coromasta
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: coromasta
XBL: coromasta91
Nintendo FC: coromasta
Steam: coromasta
Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby OL » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:00 pm

Sonikku wrote: For OL.

phpBB [video]

Was just about to post that.
Quoted, because fuck yes.

I'm not even a big GTAIV fan, but re-release it with an invincible, drunken Mario doing backflips and getting into fights... yeah, I'd buy the Switch at launch.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Himuro » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:03 pm

Axm wrote: PS4 is just a better system

Bro. Of course it is. It has been out since 2013 or so?

Get a PS4 for now and a Switch later on.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Nintendo Switch

Postby Axm » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:47 pm

Himuro wrote:

Exaggerating. Ofcourse ofcourse.

On that point, PS4 didn't have a stellar launch line up either, Killzone, ACIV, Knack, BF4, Need for Speed Rivals. All kinda mediocre to good games. Killzone being the best of them and then it still had a great 12 months after that though.

And thats cause Sony actually worked out that they had enough compelling material to launch when they did. Microsoft too.

Nintendo needed to take a step back and focus on making the best launch as possible with enough compelling games at launch.
If it was up to me I would have the Switch release in the late summer-early fall when more games are ready and developers can get a head start.

Releasing now makes it look like a rush job just so they can still capture the fanboy sales from Zelda that would have been on Wii U and pushing them to get a Switch. It's a game that should have come out last year but they have so little amount of content to sell, so they pull this.
How anyone can still be exclusively a one console per gen Nintendo person that isnt a child is beyond me.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:35 pm

mrandyk wrote:
Let's Get Sweaty wrote:
Henry Spencer wrote:Think it might be the first Mario I've been interested in playing since the GC era.

If you liked Mario 64 then you really should try Galaxy 1 & 2. Disregard whatever preconceptions have put you off them, and approach them as a continuation of that series. For me, along with SM64, they're two of the best games ever made.

Could not play Mario Galaxy. BS motion controls were an absolute nuisance and ruined the entire experience. Nintendo should fix those games and re-release them without the tacked on motion controls.

I'm all for everyone having their own preferences, but I can't fathom what was such a nuisance about the extremely minimal motion controls in that game. Waggling the remote to spin Mario wasn't exactly open heart surgery, and optionally pointing at the screen to collect distant starbits wasn't either.

If all you're referring to is the occasional minigame that required Mario to stand on a ball or pilot a bird, then I agree with you that these were tricky, and even frustrating at times. But I'm guessing those aren't your reason for writing off the whole game.

Let's Get Sweaty has received a thanks from: Raithos
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby Himuro » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:41 pm

Axm wrote:
Himuro wrote:

On that point, PS4 didn't have a stellar launch line up either, Killzone, ACIV, Knack, BF4, Need for Speed Rivals. All kinda mediocre to good games. Killzone being the best of them and then it still had a great 12 months after that though.

And thats cause Sony actually worked out that they had enough compelling material to launch when they did. Microsoft too.

Nintendo needed to take a step back and focus on making the best launch as possible with enough compelling games at launch.
If it was up to me I would have the Switch release in the late summer-early fall when more games are ready and developers can get a head start.

Releasing now makes it look like a rush job just so they can still capture the fanboy sales from Zelda that would have been on Wii U and pushing them to get a Switch. It's a game that should have come out last year but they have so little amount of content to sell, so they pull this.
How anyone can still be exclusively a one console per gen Nintendo person that isnt a child is beyond me.

PS4 launched with a mediocre line up and it has sold 50 million. Launch doesn't mean shit besides getting the faithful on board and selling people on the fence down the line whether or not the system is an investment.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Coromasta » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:08 pm

It's already sold out on most major dutch online retailers, so thats good for nintendo, or bad just like the wii in 2007 where it was not available for like a year, at least I couldn't find one.
Coromasta

PSN: coromasta
XBL: coromasta91
Nintendo FC: coromasta
Steam: coromasta
Favorite title: Shenmue

Nintendo Switch

Postby Axm » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:08 pm

Himuro, again, my point isnt that the system or game library wont be good ever, ofcourse eventually it should be. Nintendo systems usually do have good games after a few years in.
More clearly for you my point is that the system launch should have been delayed until fall as the first year as a whole so far is looking really bad. We are getting basically Wii U games, old games and gimmicky stuff until finally at the end of the year a new Mario (that looks awesome) which should be a launch title.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Himuro » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:36 pm

Ah, I think 2017 winter is fine. But I can see why you'd want a delay.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Sonikku » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:32 am

Axm wrote:
Himuro wrote:

PC + Nintendo is a workable combo. Hell just about anything that'd come out on Xbone or whatever has a superior version on PC.

Sonikku has received 2 thanks from: Thief, TwiceFriedRice
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Axm » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:56 am

Sonikku wrote:
PC + Nintendo is a workable combo. Hell just about anything that'd come out on Xbone or whatever has a superior version on PC.

Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby drunkensailor » Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:08 am

Axm wrote: So today after watching more Youtube video's about the Switch I was kinda getting the hype bug about it. Like "oh man it's region free and will have VC games and Zelda looks kinda cool and blah blah blah...

Then reality set in again. Why would I pay over $400 console+game+tax all said and done to play 1 freaking game at launch that I'm just kinda interested in when PS4 is about to have a ridiculous amount of great games the next few months..

Gravity Rush 2
RE7
Nioh
Horizon Zero Dawn
Nier Automata
Mass Effect Andromeda
MLB The Show 17
Persona 5

And then not to mention I still havent picked up The Last Guardian, finished FFXV or half my backlog for that matter..

Sometimes we gotta just take a second to think things out, not be spoiled just cause it's a new toy to get and realize... PS4 is just a better system lols long live the Kazunori.

what's so special about region free? sony has been doing that for over 10 years now to their consoles.
drunkensailor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: gjb1985
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Nintendo Switch

Postby Axm » Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:31 am

You tell 'em buddy. You and me, we're goin places together. Strait to the top of Playstation master race city. Which I heard is found in the PS3 HOME private servers.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Thief » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:40 am

tbh i'd never buy a PS4, but would consider the Switch.

Almost any game I'd want for the PS4 will be also on PC, at least with Nintendo I know the only way I can play a majority of their games is through their console. Yes there will be exclusives on PS4 (none yet that I really care much about), but that's true about any console (except maybe Xbox, like why the fuck would I ever buy an Xbox One?).

PC + Switch just makes the most sense for me, personally. PC for the games that I'd likely play by myself, and Switch for the family friendly games I'd play with non-gamers, parties, etc.

That said, I'm definitely not buying the Switch at launch... but really, no system is good at launch. Ever. It's been historically one really good game (sometimes no good games) for as long as I can remember.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming