Please stay connected (or reconnect) to reality...

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Please stay connected (or reconnect) to reality...

Postby Monkei » Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:56 pm

So here's what I initially posted in the news topic about Shenmue III being the world's most anticipated game. I didn't mean to derail that topic and I think this is an issue that actually deserves its own one.

I said: Not to spoil everyone's fun, but the reason for SIII being #1 obviously is that nobody knows about that site (mostanticipatedgames) or cares to vote there, which makes it an easy target for (western) communities of hardcore fans (of japanese stuff). #3 is a game called Zero Time Dilemma - never heard of that. #18 is Danganronpa 3, whatever the hell that is. It's still not a bad thing of course, it just doesn't mean anything. Or say anything about the popularity of Shenmue. Which is not the world's most anticipated game.

That topic and that thought lead me to think about the following issue:

Many people in this community seem to have a huge problem with lying to themselves, "remixing" reality to their likings, if you will, or simply dreaming stuff up. I saw somebody complain about Kojima getting the spotlight instead of Suzuki at E3, even though he's "just Kojima". Somebody else called Shenmue III and the Final Fantasy VII remake Sony's "biggest weapons". Final Fantasy, sure, absolutely. Shenmue? Man, come on. I love Shenmue, too, but stuff like that has nothing to do with reality anymore. If you people actually keep believing the bullshit you're telling yourselves and others you will end up frustrated and disappointed over and over again. At least that's my take on it.

In the end it all comes down to one thing I'd like to ask of you: Please try to maintain at least some rationality. And please don't make us Shenmue fans look like idiots and/or assholes on social media. Don't hate on other people (like Kojima) or other stuff just because it's bigger and to many or most people more important than Shenmue. Don't hate on Sony for not fulfilling your highly exagerrated and fanboyish desires. Simply stop hating. Know your place. Know Shenmue's. Love it for what it is. Accept that it will never be more. Be less demanding, more humble. Get your f*cking shit together.

Monkei has received 5 thanks from: Amir, Jibby, Mr357, SickOctopus, Spaghetti
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Re: Please stay connected (or reconnect) to reality...

Postby Spaghetti » Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:20 pm

I agree with most of this.

In regards to Sony, I think they deserve some blame in being a part of the media confusion from last year regarding funding. For all the failings of Awesome Japan and how they laid out the Kickstarter, Sony weren't on the ball with their messaging either and even now still a bunch of nebulous statements about support from their reps are being used as "proof" of secret backdoor funding.

I also think the burden of promoting the series is on the fans for the meanwhile, because with SEGA asleep at the wheel, Yu developing the game, Cedric running his business, and Awesome Japan bumbling as usual, there's nobody else to fill that role appropriately.

But yeah, let's take a realistic view. Shenmue will never be huge, but it does seem to fit in more with today's gaming landscape than it ever did in 1999. Slower, more peaceful games are not the rarity they were. A number of big games like The Last of Us and Uncharted 4 even seem to make use of this game design methodology, let alone smaller story-focused games like Life is Strange, Gone Home, Dear Esther, The Vanishing of Ethan Carter, etc.

Gaming in the modern age is crying out for new ideas and alternative experiences, and Shenmue III is prime to take advantage of that. It's our duty as fans to make the case for Shenmue III, which includes making logical comparisons like I did regarding other titles similar in tone and design to Shenmue, while also dispelling myths like "people only liked Shenmue for the graphics". Graphics showpieces do not accrue as passionate a fanbase as this, with people playing the games still after 15 years.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby MiTT3NZ » Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:24 pm

Who the fuck cares?

MiTT3NZ has received 3 thanks from: Nahovil, Peter, punkmanced
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby scarless landi » Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:55 pm

MiTT3NZ wrote: Who the fuck cares?

You make me laugh every time you post something

:rotflmao:
scarless landi
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

XBL: PhoenixMirror
Steam: PhoenixMirror
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Yokosuka » Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:58 pm

scarless landi wrote:

You make me laugh every time you post something

:rotflmao:

My favorite one was when he said the last Splinter Cell is a great game.

Yokosuka has received a thanks from: Mr357
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Peter » Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:14 pm

You are starting to post things which I am thinking in my head. Starting to wonder if you always have, only I was well... a but of an arse really.

Peter has received 2 thanks from: MiTT3NZ, Sonoshee
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Sonoshee » Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:20 am

Monkei wrote: So here's what I initially posted in the news topic about Shenmue III being the world's most anticipated game.

I think you need gain a little perspective ;-)

The game is #1 on WorldsMostAnticipated.com, one polling website, which is described clearly in the news post itself.

I did, however, fix the post title to be more in line with that.

This doesn't in any way prove that Shenmue is indeed the worlds number one most anticipated game - infact we all know it isn't. But it doesn't mean that success on a polling website cannot be shared & celebrated on a Shenmue fan site.

Nobody is being duped or lied to here - and they do have the option to vote for Shenmue and/or other games if they feel like it.

Sonoshee has received 3 thanks from: Kiske, Let's Get Sweaty, Yokosuka
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Kiske » Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:36 am

Don't you think you are yourself overreacting Monkei?

Kiske has received a thanks from: Let's Get Sweaty
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby Monkei » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:05 am

Yes, I might be overreacting and coming off as kinda moronic. This wasn't really meant to be about Sonoshee's article though, the problem is what I'm reading in this place over and over again from various people. But I shouldn't care that much, really.

Can a mod lock this topic? I'm kinda making a fool of myself here I think.
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Henry Spencer » Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:08 pm

As you wish. If you want it reopening let me know.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Return to Shenmue III