Ryan Payton on Back in my Play podcast, talks Shenmue/II/III

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Ryan Payton on Back in my Play podcast, talks Shenmue/II/III

Postby Spaghetti » Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:41 am

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=208859785&postcount=2741

Downloading now. Will update the OP with interesting info about Shenmue III, Yu Suzuki, and the series at large.

EDIT 1:

Ryan Payton is working on Shenmue III as part of its advisory board. He meets with Yu Suzuki every two months.

EDIT 2:

Yu's passion for creating games has been ignited, he's sleeping at the office, and is full of enthusiasm working on Shenmue III. His game creation style is very different to what Ryan Payton is used to (likely waterfall vs agile development methodology), but says there is "method to the madness".

Ryan Payton keeps prodding and poking about the Saturn Shenmue build. Yu doesn't know where it is.

The team are working hard on making Ryo look like he should.

Yu has been able to hire back a lot of veterans of the series, dating back to the Shenmue Saturn build of the game.

The ambition for Shenmue as a series was to release two games, the first part would be the story of Shenmue + Shenmue II, and the second Shenmue III onwards.

EDIT 3:

Yu and Ryan have had constructive arguments over the game, with Yu pushing revolution and Ryan pushing for evolution. They seem to have met a compromise that works for both, and their overall goal is to make a great game for the fans.

The team are fully dedicated to both the game and Yu, a lot of the people working on the game are there for Yu's benefit as someone they know, love, and respect, Ryan Payton included.

-----

Overall not hugely informative, and the Patreon exclusive content isn't too big on information. The largest bombshell is that Ryan Payton is actually working on the game in a supervisory role.
Last edited by Spaghetti on Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:20 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Re: Ryan Payton on Back in my Play podcast, talks Shenmue/II

Postby scarless landi » Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:50 am

Listening to it now!!!
scarless landi
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

XBL: PhoenixMirror
Steam: PhoenixMirror
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Spaghetti » Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:09 am

Apparently Ryan Payton did a Q&A with Yu Suzuki, should be at the end of the podcast. Still listening through...
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Spaghetti » Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:44 am

It's sounding like the Yu Suzuki Q&A is Patreon exclusive.

EDIT: Subscribed and got the Patreon version. Unsure where the high moral ground is in regards to posting info from it here, so for now I'll only update the OP with Patreon-only info if there's something really important/interesting.

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: SheepheadCG
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Rikitatsu » Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:46 pm

I'm eager to see the updated 3D model for Ryo, I doubt it will be 1:1 with the DC model or even the Passport model, but anything is better than this cosplayer

Rikitatsu
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Spaghetti » Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:39 pm

I would seriously suggest people listen to the podcast themselves if they get the chance (don't worry, the non-Patreon version has the bulk of the info), because the story about how Shenmue III came about is really interesting.

It details some peaks and troughs that make you feel kinda bad for the situation Yu was in before the Kickstarter (sympathies to Ryan Payton too, who went through something similar), but ends happily, and is pretty inspiring and exciting.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Sonoshee » Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:47 pm

Spaghetti wrote:Yu's passion for creating games has been ignited, he's sleeping at the office, and is full of enthusiasm working on Shenmue III.

The team are working hard on making Ryo look like he should.

Yu has been able to hire back a lot of veterans of the series, dating back to the Shenmue Saturn build of the game.

Fantastic! I got all warm and fuzzy inside reading this!

Ryan Payton keeps prodding and poking about the Saturn Shenmue build. Yu doesn't know where it is.

Knowing Sega, probably lost (ala Panzer Dragoon Saga)... ](*,)
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Spaghetti » Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:04 pm

The interview puts to bed the idea that there are much unseen developed materials from after the end of Shenmue II's story. Turns out, there are very few assets created for the series beyond that point.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Sonoshee » Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:31 pm

Spaghetti wrote: The interview puts to bed the idea that there are much unseen developed materials from after the end of Shenmue II's story. Turns out, there are very few assets created for the series beyond that point.

Yeah, I did read this somewhere in the past actually. After development on Shenmue 2 concluded, Yu stated that the team had been working constantly on the series since the first game and were exhausted, citing a break (whether Shenmue 3 was to happen or not).

Well, I guess they got that break... :sad:
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Rakim » Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:56 pm

Wow I didn't know Ryan Payton was actually part of the team working on the game. I like that guy. I'm jealous of his ability to keep being involved with different game developer greats.
Rakim
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Spaghetti » Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:21 pm

Rakim wrote: Wow I didn't know Ryan Payton was actually part of the team working on the game. I like that guy. I'm jealous of his ability to keep being involved with different game developer greats.

There's actually a bit of talk in the podcast that touches on this.

Ryan's approach to working with legendary devs is to not be toadying to them, and to not leave their ideas unchallenged, which I think is very encouraging. Yu is a very creative guy, but sometimes you need restraints to help focus that creativity and let the ideas flourish properly.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Scrounder » Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:03 am

Is Ryan Payton's involvement in this project actually a good thing? He worked on the absolute worst Halo game: Halo 4. He also tried to westernize many things with MGS4. Pretty sure he was the one who encouraged action over stealth with MGS4.
Scrounder
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Rikitatsu » Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:14 am

I think the "He sleeps at the office, wife barely sees him" remark should be posted everywhere, it would show just how passionate Suzuki is, and it might rest the public fears that this might be another Mighty No. 09.

This calls for a NeoGAF thread, I'd say! *Lights the Spaghetti signal*

Rikitatsu
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Himuro » Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:34 am

Who is Ryan Payton and is this a good thing? Y/N.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby SMDzero » Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:53 am

Where can i listen to this? i can't pay since i gave all my $$ to the KS

Gotta admit MGS4 sucked ASS and felt like a Western bastardization of MGS so hopefully Ryan wasn't the cause of that.

What were the particulars of the revolution vs evolution debate??? For the fans?? Is SIII gonna be a proper game or a love letter?
SMDzero
Banned
Banned

Next

Return to Shenmue III